Creepy Tent Partner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"big rattlesnake decided it was warm enough and slithered out,"
that is pretty creepy. i would have freaked out. not into rattlesnakes (or any snakes for that matter)

Ah yes, the snake in the sleeping bag trick... works everytime. :D But you don't really ask for a knife... that would be bad. :eek:

No creepy people here, I make sure to only share a tent with sexy partners. Double Bow, I guess you can take that as some weird sick compliment.

Mookie IS a creep...i wouldn't share a tent with him...he wants to see my sister in cut-off jeans

Turns out they were an insurance agent, a lawyer, and a computer teacher at a high school (in that order!), and some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

Lawn Sale,

Are you trying to imply that an Insurance Agent, a Lawyer and a High School Computer Teacher are any less 'creepy' than three random extra's from the Deliverence film?

Personally i would consider them a pretty close match!

:rolleyes:

SherpaKroto and I shared a Black Diamond First Light on Mt Rainier... you should of seen the antics of getting into it, especially after the summit climb.. :D

Jay

Years ago, my wife and our dog hiked back into Stony Pond and set up at a beautiful leanto site above the water. Great, had it all to ourselves. Just before dark in troops a gang of 5 guys, a couple of machetes, beer, you get the picture. :eek:
They pile into the leanto and after a bit of apprehension we all have dinner and settle in. Turns out they were nice guys. Around the campfire later in the evening, out come the magic mushrooms and the group spends the evening eating them, vomiting, and eating some more and getting high. :eek:
They were pretty stoned and to this day I don't know why we didn't pack up and leave, but I spent the night sleeping with one eye open.

I do not care what my Mother told me when I was young - I do not share tents (family aside) - it is well worth the weight to carry. I would have to adapt this policy if I ever did any real mountaineering - but for what I do, I carry my own tent.

Not exactly a creepy tent partner but somebody whom I thought might be trying to be one. About 25 years ago myself and a hiking partner headed in to do the Pemi/Franc loop on a hot summer's eve in July. We started about two hours before nightfall with the intention of trying to avoid the oppresive heat and hike as far as we felt. We hiked for about 3 hours and we were up the Bondcliff Trail where we decided to bivy for a few hours and catch a few Z's. Figuring it was somewhere around 10:00-11:00 P.M. and nobody would be probably (NOT!) coming along we put down pretty much in the middle of the trail. After drifting off for what seemed like a few hours we were awoken by two other guys who also must of thought it was real hot and that they would not see anyone else. The only thing was that they were hiking lacking any outerware other than there Packs , Boots and headlamps. You can imagine our reaction being awoken, laying on our backs, and looking up at two headlamps and two....lets say swinging male packages :eek:

yuk

Jay H said:
SherpaKroto and I shared a Black Diamond First Light on Mt Rainier... you should of seen the antics of getting into it, especially after the summit climb.. :D

Jay
Been there, done that: tiny tent, same tentmate, different locale. Made all the more 'interesting by said tent-mate's garb (or lack thereof)... :eek:

One thing I've learned from being an adult BSA leader is the value of earplugs. The snoring from our adults probably gets notice at Lamont-dougherty. I'd never used earplugs before but now I get panicky if I forget to bring some. I can probably make due if I forgot something trivial like my sleeping bag, but not the earplugs.

About three weeks ago I was sleeping on an open tent platform when I heard something rustling in the leaves next to the platform. I pointed my headlamp at it and there was a skunk about 4 feet away. Fortunately he seemed unconcerned with the sudden bright light. I rolled over and went back to sleep and he presumably went off on his merry way.

I usually tent alone (except with family) and have not had a bad tent partner experience, but I may have been the bad partner once. The first time I ever went backpacking was in the Catskills with a friend. Being a novice and camped at about 3300 feet on a chilly fall night, I sealed the tent up like a coffin. I don't think my friend knew enough either to realize it was my fault we woke up in a soaking wet tent.

Ed