Cross Vermont Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

My latest issue of Long Trail News had a feature on the Cross Vermont Trail, and its progress seems to be coming along fairly well.

Here is a nice map of its route, both completed and proposed. It takes a quite level route, often utilizing rail trails, primarily along the Winooski River (the western trail anyway). It is a nice resource for bicyclists especially, but I see it as a fine walking route as well. Those of you who need mountains on your hikes will not be interested. ATVs are not permitted, though snowmobilers are to coexist with skiers in winter.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of this somewhat new long distance trail before, now you have. Keep an eye out for trail markers while in the area. And if you know more of how progress is going in closing the remaining gaps, please do chime in.

I hiked the Long Trail last year and had a blast! This, unfortunately, looks like walking along the shoulder of I-89. I'm sure there's trails there somewhere, but I'd be constantly thinking about how easy it would be to cut over to the highway and just stick out my thumb!

albee said:
This, unfortunately, looks like walking along the shoulder of I-89. I'm sure there's trails there somewhere, but I'd be constantly thinking about how easy it would be to cut over to the highway and just stick out my thumb!
Well, as I said, a trail like this will not please everyone. I see no downside, however, in having such a trail for those who would enjoy using it.

Tramper Al said:
Well, as I said, a trail like this will not please everyone. I see no downside, however, in having such a trail for those who would enjoy using it.

I read the same article about the Cross Vermont Trail in the Long Trail News, and like Tramper Al see no downside to it. Trails like this aren't especially to my preferred personal taste, but the world would be a boring place, indeed, if we all liked the very same things. Wouldn't it? I hope The Cross Vermont Trail soon is completed and gets a lot of enthusiastic traffic.

G.