CT River multiday paddle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked out the Guildhall portage this morning. This will be above our starting point, but I was in the area and thought I would check it out.

We learned from the sign in town that Guildhall, Vermont is the only town in the world named "Guildhall". Limited parking at the portage site. Nice quiet, sandy launching site. The upriver take out is sandy also, but there are some large rocks 2 feet from the waters edge, that were under about 2" of water today.

GPS track and Photos on Wikiloc.

I checked out the Wilder Dam Portage, and posted photos and the GPS Track on Wikiloc. The pull out and launch sites are much nicer and easier than the others I have checked out.

I checked out the Sumner Falls Portage, and posted photos and the GPS Track on Wikiloc. The pull out and launch sites are nicer and easier than MacIndoe dam or Dodge Falls.

Boat Length

Well I went on the housatonic with some friends using my 17' wilderness systems and it was a very bad ride. Currents coming off the banks would make the boat skid out and it was just too much to control. Also, a sideways current can destroy a rudder easily. I don't know how the current works in the wider Connecticut River, but check with an outfitter, because, taking too long a boat can really ruin your day.

Hey Jay, is it just you and me? I would like to set the dates: June 30th (unless you can make it the 29th) and we will go to July 3rd. I am currently installing a skeg in one of my yaks and having it ready should be no problem. I have another yak should it somehow not be ready.

I have 2 man and a 4 man tents and cooking gear. I did not get a dolly, but I did fashion some carry straps to make the portages easier.

I should have water bottles for about 4 gallons of water.

Ahhhh! I have so many days off yet I can't match them up to yours! I have to take 3/5 of my family to NJ that weekend and they're going to Vietnam for a month! Are you guys going to make Spencers ADK weekend in August? I'm just going to paddle that weekend.
Do you have a rain date set? Keep us posted, thx...bagels, Jay, bagels!

I guess it probably will be you and I, unless IndianChris can make it.. I can take June 29th off either way, I have a ton of vacation time that I probably should use... so June 29th to July 3rd, we can probably do a lot of miles in the time. I will have my BD Hilight tent and we probably have a ton of room to each have a stove. Remember, we're kayak camping!

I don't have a kayak cart and most of them don't seem portable anyway..

Jay

I guess it probably will be you and I, unless IndianChris can make it.. I can take June 29th off either way, I have a ton of vacation time that I probably should use... so June 29th to July 3rd, we can probably do a lot of miles in the time. I will have my BD Hilight tent and we probably have a ton of room to each have a stove. Remember, we're kayak camping!

Jay

Okay, we meet at the first car spot at 8 am. Friday the 29th, leave a car, and drive up river to put the boats in.

Now we need to decide on whether to include the Comerford Reservoir (it is supposed to be rather nice, and adds only 1 portage). I haven't seen any trip reports of that Reservoir, so we could be adding something a bit rare to the knowledge base.

Also, meals. Don't worry, I'll supply all the booze :rolleyes:

OK, I should be about 2.5 hours from where we will meet, I will hopefully next week start thinking seriously about mileage so we can figure out where we want to meet for the takeout.

I have a set of J-carriers and a set of Yakima saddles on my subaru, I presume you have two sets of kayak carriers so we can do the shuttle!

Don't bring any booze for me, but you are welcome to try to bring some ice cream. :) I hope there are places closeby that I can get ice cream from!!! Maybe i should pack my bike and i can ride to places from the launches!!!

Jay

Jay

Hope you guys have a great trip!
Sorry I wont be joining in. Heading to the Adirondacks for a week a few days after that so will be busy getting ready.
Paddle safe, eat like kings and will look forward to something in the future.

W O W :D

Had a mostly awesome time out on the CT river, from Littleton, NH to Cornish NH. Portages mostly sucked :) But the rest was just great. I filled up my cameras memory card so I guess that is a good sign. Had great weather, and an awesome paddle partner in Paradox who unfortunately, had back issues and had to bail on Sunday, but we'll be back to finish off NH/VT as I suspect we can probably do the remaining ~68ish miles in 3 days, depending on how hard the bellows fall and vernon fall portages are..

Trip report to come!!!

Jay

. . . . I suspect we can probably do the remaining ~68ish miles in 3 days, depending on how hard the bellows fall and vernon fall portages are..

Glad you had a great trip, but not surprised. The Bellows Falls portage is 2 miles, mostly by a road that wasn't bad when we did it, as to traffic. Easy enough if you have wheels to attach, but not otherwise.

W O W :D

Had a mostly awesome time out on the CT river, from Littleton, NH to Cornish NH. Portages mostly sucked :) But the rest was just great. I filled up my cameras memory card so I guess that is a good sign. Had great weather, and an awesome paddle partner in Paradox who unfortunately, had back issues and had to bail on Sunday, but we'll be back to finish off NH/VT as I suspect we can probably do the remaining ~68ish miles in 3 days, depending on how hard the bellows fall and vernon fall portages are..

Trip report to come!!!

Jay

Glad you guys had a good time! Real disappointed I wasn't there for those portages ;)

Was just about to pm you Jay and tell you good thing I didn't commit...also had some serious lower back issues that developed last week while working out in my garage. Was out of commission all last week. Hope you have a speedy recovery Paradox! Talk soon.

At some point I hope to finish NH/VT in some 3 day weekend. we have about 70 miles left to go from Cornish, NH to the Pauchaug Book launchw which is about 2.x miles into MA which would be the next leg. I hope Paradox can make that and all are welcome to. Then you get to experience the 1.5 miles Bellow Falls portage!!!! hahahaha... (and the vernon dam portage later)..

Jay

My back issues were all in seat arrangement, which I finally worked out. I considered the change I made radical, but it got the pressure off a sensitive part of my lower back. I spent the three days on the Connecticut with Jay dealing with it and trying to move the seat BACK to a more comfortable spot. On Friday I went to Lows Lake in the Dacks and spent 2 days in pain until, on Sunday, I finally moved the seat BOTTOM forward by about 3" and left the seat back alone. Huge difference, the next 8 miles I was very comfortable.

I have not had the chance to do anything with my photos, I'll try to get to that tonight. Great trip though, we visited some very interesting parts of the river. As miserable as the Comerford Portage can be, I would do it again to see that portion of the river and zip along in that current again. At one point we were doing over 10 mph as measured on my GPS. We saw a bald eagle in there.

Last edited:
That's great news Paradox. I was in the ADKs with Coldfeet as well, but we did a very short paddle to the Raquette Falls from Axton Landing to help with some trailwork with the NFCT interns in with the portage trail. Was worried about the water levels and my Impex but it was OK although the water levels are pretty low, according to Gary, the ranger at the station there...

Jay