daypack recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
Hey,

I'm sure others have asked this question before. I am terrible at getting any useful results from search features on these kind of bulletin boards. I don't know why, it's just what makes me "special" I guess. :eek: I'm interested in getting a new daypack. I'm not really a fan of hydration bladders, so it doesn't need to be compatible with that. I realize there's a million choices out there in this category, so I guess I'm looking for some people to chime in about packs they love or hate so I can narrow down the field a little bit.

Thanks for any info or links to past discussions on this topic!!

i got an ll bean day pack this last year, and it works great. the big store in freeport is also lots of fun just to walk around, and quite a large selection of packs. Don't fish in their indoor pond though, i think they frown on that. But i guess you could also try out their grilling equipment too. North face packs look pretty good too, but i am yet to buy one. so take a trip to maine, or go to the store in n conway. i think there is also an ems store in s burlington.

king tut,

That's really quite amusing....the pack i'm looking to sort of replace is a 6 or 7 year old llbean daypack that is much smaller than what I see a lot of people carrying for day trips. I've loved it so much and get comments on it all the time. I moded it a bit by cutting off unnecessary webbing and the hip belt that was a pain in the butt. That was after reading Ray Jardine's "beyond Backpacking" :rolleyes: But, I'm concerned that it doesn't have room for enough food, water and warmer layers for some more challenging hikes that I'll be doing soon. But maybe I'll check out their current selection of daypacks since I've loved this one so much.

my newer pack replaced an older bean pack from junior high years(14 years ago), the zipper had been busted out for a long time. The new ones are smaller, but i find i have just enough room for most hikes. there are also some mesh fabric water holders on the side to hold 2 water bottles. it's also a nice retro olive green, which most people might not like, but it looks pretty groovy.

2nd vote for the Kelty Redwing 3500...I love mine. I started with a Kelty Redwing 2900 (i think) and found that it was a bit too small since I also use the pack for winter hikes with lots of gear and also one-night overnights in summer with my lightweight gear. I find the pack really comfy and love the design/placement of the pockets.

Toe Cozy said:
Hey,

I'm sure others have asked this question before. I am terrible at getting any useful results from search features on these kind of bulletin boards. I don't know why, it's just what makes me "special" I guess. :eek: I'm interested in getting a new daypack. I'm not really a fan of hydration bladders, so it doesn't need to be compatible with that. I realize there's a million choices out there in this category, so I guess I'm looking for some people to chime in about packs they love or hate so I can narrow down the field a little bit.

Thanks for any info or links to past discussions on this topic!!

I've got a Greagor "G" and I love it. Light, plenty of room, sturdy, comfortable.

I asked this same question about a month ago after a catastrophic pack failure on Monadnock. After a handful of suggestions for it I went and checked the Kelty Redwing. there are three sizes to better fit individuals of varying heights. A hundred bucks later I was the owner of a Redwing 3500 and have been nothing but IMPRESSED completely. Its EXTREMLY comfortable. Just try it on before you buy, but I think you will love the Redwing too.
Brian

I use a Gregory Ekko for day trips all year long... great pack. Top loading with a full zip down the front. So far it has been absolutely bomb proof (a year and a half of pretty hard use). They are a little pricey but very well constructed and should last a long while. I think it's a very comfortable pack as well.

The best thing to do is go to a store and try some packs on. Put some weight in them and see how they feel. Good luck.

Well what the hell, I'll vote for the Kelty Redwing too. My only dissenting opinion is that I have the Kelty 2400 and I find that to be MORE than enough room for a dayhike. (the model number refers to the number of cubic inches of storage inside the pack.)

thanks,
denton fabrics

Kelty Bianca 2000 Campmor product #87917 $70. 2003 year model. Lots of pockets to organize stuff. Water bottles with insulating jackets fit in the side mesh compartments. Has a shovel pocket in the center that you stuff almost anything into.
Or if you really like the pack you have Bean can fix the zipper easy enough.

I have an ArcTeryx Khamsin 38; apx 2400 cu in. Originally purchased it for light(er) weight Presi traverse style hikes. The pack weighs a hair over 2lb, if I remember correctly.

It has decent, minimally padded hip and shoulder belts. And the modest suspension system works surprisingly well.

At first, I thought the ski slots and dual ice axe loops were a marketing gimmick. Boy was I wrong.

The Khamsin has become my "go to" pack for just about everything that doesn't require hauling a heavy load or require more than 2400 cu in (volume can be an issue in the winter). Whether hiking, BC skiing, multi-pitch rock climbs w/long approach or walk-off... even the occasional ice climb - if the gear will fit into the Khamsin, then it's the Khamsin that goes on the trip.

Unobtrusive. Reliable. Capable.

It's a wonderful piece of gear.

But then... I'll bet everyone becomes rhapsodic when asked to describe THEIR favorite pack. :)

Last edited:
I just bought a Jansport Goshawk 40 from Campmor.com a few weeks ago. I've used it several times and love it. Internal frame, 2450 cu.in., hydration compatable, pockets for skis and poles. It was a heck of a deal at $49.97 if you can get past the gray-on-dark gray color. (At least the dirt won't show much). I was looking at a Kelty Redwing 2400 in comparison. I think Sierratradingpost.com had the Kelty on sale for $69 recently.

Kudos to campmor - Placed the order Friday morning on the web site, and had it on my back doorstep Monday afternoon, with standard UPS ground shipping. :)

Good luck pack shopping!
Smitty

i like the black diamond packs as they are really reasonably priced (and last years colors and all go on sale at their website usually). i have a zippo, i think it's called. a plus for me is that thay're not over-engineered--i don't like packs with a lot of useless features and straps and buckles. simple and with a hydration pocket. fits well for running too.