Denali Traverse 6/5 - 6/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcborder

Reaction score
I had the good luck to summit Denali June 19 with a guided group of 6 clients and 2 guides. The weather really cooperated for us: we only had three days with really bad weather and only one of those days did we spend the entire time in the tents. Summit day had light winds with unlimited visibility and temps in the single digits.

I want to thank the everyone who posted with suggestions in my previous "West Butt" thread.

Our trip was a unusual in that we ascended the standard route, the West Buttress, but descended the Karstens Ridge/Muldrow glacier route and walked out to Wonder Lake. The North side of the mountain is spectacular and very worthwhile. This descent normally takes 4 days instead of 2 days via the West Buttress. Given that it's typically 14+ days to ascend the West Buttress, this isn't a whole lot of additional time; however, with the traverse you have to carry all your gear over Denali pass (18200') instead of caching it along the way so it makes the ascent harder.

We followed a standard West Buttress ascent to the 17200 camp (normal high camp). From there, we carried all our gear over Denali pass in two carries to our high camp at 17600 on the Harper glacier and summited from the Harper. Our descent on Karsten's Ridge and the Muldrow glacier was more difficult than expected. Karsten's was very steep with deep layer of very soft snow. We took a lot of falls here. The lower Muldrow glacier was a nightmare of crevasses and soft snow bridges. It took us one 20 hour push to get though this section.

The trip is pretty well described in the guides blog:

http://3junedenali.blogspot.com/

My photos are here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559805380ChjCLU

Here's some climbing stats that I took with my altitude watch:

ascent descent time
Jun 5 1115 157 7:36 single carry to ski hill
Jun 6 2625 2625 6:06 ski hill to cache at kahiltna pass
Jun 7 3950 499 5:34 move camp, ski hill to motorcycle hill
Jun 8 1007 13 1:29 retrieve kahiltna pass cache 1)
Jun 9 3638 3704 7:41 motorcycle hill to windy corner cache

Jun 10 3225 121 5:31 move camp to 14200
Jun 11 748 778 9:26 retrieve cache from windy corner 2)
Jun 12 rest day
Jun 13 2241 2339 7:33 14200 to west buttress cache
Jun 14 3212 210 7:17 move camp to 17200
Jun 15 955 118 2:34 retrive cache from west buttress cache 3)
Jun 15 2224 2169 4:00 17200 to denali pass cache

Jun 16 1375 1007 4:06 move camp 17200 to harper glacier
Jun 17 storm day on harper
Jun 18 retrieve cache from denali pass
Jun 19 2303 449 10:07 summit day from harper 4)
Jun 20 1138 8419 14:35 karstens ridge descent
Jun 21 "rest day"
Jun 22 19:18 lower muldrow to almost mcgonagall pass
Jue 23 10:11 mcgonagall pass to cache creek camp
Jun 24 10:25 cache creek camp to wonder lake

Notes

1) watch started at kahiltna pass, only ascent recorded
2) forget to turn watch off, time wrong
3) descent is not correct
4) descent is not correct

After karstens ridge , I lost the ability to record altitude change

Sounds like an awesome trip. Glad to hear the weather cooperated, very rare! Congratulations on the traverse.

awesome :D :D

I need to check these pix out in more detail later - but first let me say a "congrats" on a what am I sure was a tough but rewarding trip!

great stuff. :D

higher

SherpaKroto said:
Kudos! Going higher?

That is a very good question! If I do a guided trip again, I've been thinking about Mt. Foraker. It's not as high but I've heard it can be harder to summit due to its exposure to the weather. Something like Cho Oyu would also be awesome. I'd love to try a high peak in the Himalaya. The Seven Summits aren't calling out to me, although there was a guy in our group that only has two to go (Vinson and Everest).

Awesome accomplishment, congratulations !

It would be great to hear about your group; average age, climbing/hiking experience, training going into trip, etc.

the group

Chip said:
Awesome accomplishment, congratulations !

It would be great to hear about your group; average age, climbing/hiking experience, training going into trip, etc.

We started off with 3 guides and nine clients. The lead guide is 37 years old from Tacoma, WA. The two assistant guides are in there twenties from Crested Butte, CO and Ophir, CO.

Four clients from the US: Massachusetts, Tennessee, Idaho and Washington state. Two clients from England, one from Ireland, one from Australia and one from Brazil.

The guide company wants minimum experience of previous glacier travel with winter camping and high altitude if possible. All the American clients had climbed Rainier previously. The other clients had climbed Aconcagua, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, etc.

The age range for the clients: four in their late twenties, three in their early thirties and two in their early forties with the oldest being 44. The guides have taken people in their late 60's to the summit. Not on this trip though.

I trained six months especially for this trip starting with I think a pretty good base level of fitness. I used a Denali training program I found on the Alpine Ascents International web page:

http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp

I was pretty religious about following it. It boils down to 4 days a week strength training/weights and 5 days a week aerobic work with some stress and hill workouts. I also tried to get a least one hike a week with a heavy pack (up to 60lbs) although I did have to carry more than this a couple times on the traverse. It would have been nice to also practice pulling a sled with crampons and a heavy pack but there really aren't a lot of places to do this around here.

Nice job! What always I find interesting about climbing in this neck of the woods is the contrast from the upper elavations to the tundra. One day it can be minus 40F and then the next your swatting bugs as if you were in the Jungle. I guess coming down off the Muldrow gave you a few more days to phase into this change. On fly outs it's all you can do to get your climbing suit off and lather up with the bug dope before you sweat to death and give blood to the bugs.

Too Cool

So awesome... Your TR makes it sond like a breeze! Amazing photos. I especially liked image 578. :D
Would you recommend the guide service you went with? I'm pretty seriously looking at '08 to do Denali. Feel free to PM me with your thoughts/opinions about them.

the guides

TMax said:
So awesome... Your TR makes it sond like a breeze! Amazing photos. I especially liked image 578. :D
Would you recommend the guide service you went with? I'm pretty seriously looking at '08 to do Denali. Feel free to PM me with your thoughts/opinions about them.

The lower mountain wasn't too difficult. Above 14200', it's a lot harder to carry a heavy load both due to the altitude and the terrain. Summit day wasn't too bad. There was a lot of suffering on the descent, more than I was expecting.

About image 578, it's pretty sweet to see the summit ridge, especially when you're looking down on it!

I strongly recommend our guide service, Mountain Trip. The guides were excellent and even though we get into some difficult situations, I always felt the guides were up to getting the group through them safely. The food was very good. We only had freeze dried one night, after the summit, and it was actually pretty decent. We had pizza on the mountain, burritos, etc. At the end of the trip, one of the owners of Mountain Trip had a van waiting for us with a cooler full of beer and soda but more interesting to me, a couple trays of fresh fruit including mango slices, cantaloup and pineapple, stuff we were all really craving. I chose Mountain Trip mostly for the traverse though. I think the National Park Service is pretty good about controlling and eliminating guide concessions that aren't well run.