Determining Highest Point with a Hose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One source of error that he does not discuss is the meniscus at the surface of the water. I'd estimate the possible error to be ~1-2mm. Its probably not a significant issue for his peak-to-peak method but could be very significant for his sighting method.

Doug

I've tried that hose leveling bit in real life, and it's not what it's cracked up to be. I'm not talking about accuracy - it's the number of times that I needed to go back and forth from point A to point B to add water, make minor adjustments, etc. I tried it on two occasions during construction, and each time said "to h.ll with it", and used a line level cross-checked by laser level to verify height.

While it's not rocket science, the hose bit just didn't work for me. Maybe I just didn't hold my mouth right.

I've tried that hose leveling bit in real life, and it's not what it's cracked up to be. I'm not talking about accuracy - it's the number of times that I needed to go back and forth from point A to point B to add water, make minor adjustments, etc. I tried it on two occasions during construction, and each time said "to h.ll with it", and used a line level cross-checked by laser level to verify height.

While it's not rocket science, the hose bit just didn't work for me. Maybe I just didn't hold my mouth right.
Somehow I think it is easier with an operator at each end.

Doug