distiguishing Bicknell"s thrush from hermit thrush?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Can our birders help us to visually distinguish Bicknell's thrush from hermit thrush. The song is easy enough.

I saw these in feeding behavior along the Rob Brook Trail, much lower than where the BT nests. I thought they were BTs, but I didn't know how similar the HT looks.

388aaaa.jpg

396aaa.jpg

Which are these and how can we visually distinguish? Thanks for any help.

I believe that up until a few years ago, the Bicknell's was thought to be a variation of the Hermit Thrush. Other than ornithologists, I'm told most birders have a difficult telling a Bicknells from a HT. Thats why the Bicknell's survey is timed until the Hermit's pass farther north where they nest and the ones that are seen in spring, nesting up high in the Whites, Greens, ADKs and Catskils up are the Bicknells. The song and some other nesting behavior assists as well.

All of this is from reading as I'm still waiting to see my first Bicknell's.

I believe that up until a few years ago, the Bicknell's was thought to be a variation of the Hermit Thrush. .

Up until 1995, Bicknell's was a sub species of the grey cheeked thrush.
Forestgnome, what was the elevation? From the habitat in the photo, I'd guess hermit. Other field marks to look for are a complete white eye ring and buffy flanks = hermit thrush. More greyish eye ring and olive flanks = BT. Those marks are hard to distinguish in the field.

Last edited:
Thanks for the distinguishing features, Early Bird...

I have had a rash of thrushes crashing into my house this summer, and I was pretty sure they were Bicknell's Thrush -- though none of the photos I was able to find on the web (not even Patrick's typically excellent shots here) seemed to accurately capture the olive, almost lime-peel green "glow" on the flanks, or the deep red eyes.

The last incident was a few weeks ago when we heard a loudish "thunk" and my wife looked out to see a thrush thrashing on its back on the deck. It was just starting to rain (big surprise, right?), so I stepped out and picked the little guy up and cupped him in my palms... he was clearly stunned, couldn't stand or grip. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it, but I cupped him and kept him warm for about 20 minutes till he seemed to be coming back a bit. My wife prepped a box with a couple paper towels and we put him, lightly covered, on the front porch. I checked him about an hour later with my daughter, and we were both delighted when he grabbed my finger branch-like and let me lift him out of the box, then he flew away back into the forest a moment later.

Not to change the subject, but...

I had a problem with bird strikes on my windows, too. Would often find stunned and sometimes dead birds on my deck. The end was when I found a dead immature screech owl.

I now have stickers on the windows. The birds don't realize it is a reflection they are seeing until it is too late. They do see the stickers and realize something is amiss. I have not had bird strikes since. It might work for you, Drew.

KDT

Drew, nice job! Awesome! Dittoes to Kevin as well.

Earlybird, thanks much for the input. I can't wait to look for these markings.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Keep 'em coming, please. I'm confident of being able to distinguish visually once I learn the differences. This is interesting.

Last edited:
My Peterson's guide (2008 edition with updates by Lee Allen Peterson) emphasizes the rufous (reddish) color on the top side of the Hermit's tail, compared to "dull chestnut" for Bicknell's. The reddish colour clearly visible in both your photos indicates Hermit to me. Other indicators are subtle and I wouldn't stake much on my own interpretation of Peterson's paintings and descriptions, but the eye ring, whiteness of belly, and strength of contrast of breast spots are all consistent with Hermit (and in combination, not a great match for Swainson's, Grey-Cheeked, Bicknell's, or Veery).

A non-member sent me an email confirming my post above and pointing out something I should have mentioned (it's in Peterson's description though not apparent in the photos): only the Hermit has the habit of "flicking wings and of cocking tail and dropping it slowly" [Peterson's uses italics to indicate reliable distinguishing features]

He also said this, apparently referring to another thread:

You might want to also answer ForestGnome's question about which woodpecker he photographed on that hike. It isn't a Hairy or a Downy but it is a juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The brown tones in the plumage indicate a juvenile.

Dave Provencher

Thanks very much, Nartreb and Earlybird, for excellent info. Stalking for Bicknell's just became even more interesting. I'll consider it a higher level when I can distinguish in the feild.

I'm going to invest in a monocular. Any favorites?

happy trails :)

Can you tell by elevation? I saw a Hermit (or a Bicknell's) from about 10 feet away at about 3000 feet on the north ledges of Moriah, on the C-M trail, about 3 weeks ago. I got excited that it might have been my first Bicknell's, but it looked a lot like other Hermit Thrushes I've seen, so I didn't get super-excited. It was pretty red, and there wasn't much of an eye ring that I could see. It didn't sing, nor did it flick its tail. I was solo, and no other birders were nearby, so no chance to ask anyone. Great bird day that day, somehow.

Weatherman

EArly Birds question and observation on altitude is a good one. (Once migration starts all bets are off). The Hermit Thrush range will overlap with Swainson's and Swainson's will overlap with Bicknell's. The the red color on this bird will make me say Hermit. The charecteristics between a Swainson and a Bicknells are not that pronounced. I need to relie on other clues like vocalizations.

BTW Dave Provencher has great reputation in the Connecticut Ornithological Association as both a birder and photographer....I would pay attention to him.

All of this is from reading as I'm still waiting to see my first Bicknell's.
If you sign up for a VINS mountain bird watch, you have a good shot at it. They give you information on how to distinguish the birds, where to be, when to be there etc. Warning, we had to summit by 5:00 AM to participate!

Edit: That page looks a little out of date... ??