Does color matter (when buying gear)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been a dandy since birth so color coordination has never been a problem. Maybe EMS, REI etc can come with a Gargear similar to Sear’s Garanimals.

Chip said:
:eek:
Are you serious ? VISUAL impact ? Don't take this wrong, I'm not attacking you, Nessmuk, this just seems over-the-top. Ever try hitching back to your car after a long hike wearing Camo ? It ain't easy. Ever "misplaced" a 9 year old in the woods ? Or a dog ?
Guess which two are mine. I hike through areas where hunting is encouraged. There is an open season for something (primarily coyote) all year. Brighter is better in the woods for me and mine; yellow, orange, red. If muted tones are on sale, I'd pay a bit more for something brighter. Plus I wear a white shirt, tie, and muted tone suit all week, so I cut loose in the woods. ;)

IMHO, YRMV, FWIW, etc.
Yes, I'm serious. I don't own a single piece of camo, but I don't wear dayglo colors either. There certainly are times when you want to be highly visible and seen, hunting season obviously for one, keeping tabs on an unsupervised child is another. Other than big game hunting season there's not much reason for a hiker to need bright colors. I don't think there are a lot of active coyote hunters to be concerned with for your dog. Hopefully your dog is not running so far out of control that it is harassing wildlife and likely to be shot.

I'm talking wilderness areas where you go to be remote and appreciate that special environment, not to watch someone else cut loose with whatever. If I'm off trail and someone passes me by unseen and unheard, so much the better for both of our wilderness experiences. Brightly colored tents scattered all around a lakeshore do nothing for my positive perception of wild places. Just as many earth tone tents may be there in primitive campsites unseen from the water's edge (at least 150 feet back by NYDEC regulation) and it's just a better experience. In public awareness presentations I have seen given by NY DEC rangers they do emphasize this point.

Some people feel that aspects of LNT are a little over the top when applied to the letter, that's certainly true, but the principles applied within reason to your local situation are sound guidelines to consider. The LNT principle entitled "Be Considerate of Others" speaks to colors and pets:
"Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lesson visual impacts." ... "Keep pets under control at all times. Bowser is not in the wildlife category. Dogs running free can be unwelcome, frightening people or leaving behind unwanted presents."

Hopefully your kids are the two wearing whistles, they listen to your instructions, and they know to only use the whistles in an emergency. That's more far important than what color they are wearing.

Last edited:
Nessmuk said:
...Other than big game hunting season there's not much reason for a hiker to need bright colors.
That may fit your hiking style, but not mine. I want my 3-ply Goretex highly visible, and those of my companions.

There's good reason that high-end tents are brightly colored and have reflective tape. In some environments "being seen = staying safe". Most of us can't afford duplicate gear. If I'm tenting on Ingraham glacier I'm practicing LNT in terms of trash, but I sure as hell want to be able to find my tent, and will use whatever common sense measures are available in addition to navigation techniques.

hell yes

I hate a loud colour in the outdoors-I hope never to see the colours of the 70's return.

One of my first considerations in choosing a peice of gear is colour. It's kept me from purchasing a Bibler tent. On the other hand- I purchased several Eurekas because of their neutral colours- even though I could afford the Bibler. ( OK, I did own a lime green Bibler Bivy)

Nessmuk said:
:
"Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling..."
Then to my now standard disclaimers of IMHO, YRMV and FWIW - I will add: IAIA (I Apologize In Advance) or IAFDACTACF (I Apologize For Disturbing And Contributing To A Crowded Feeling).

I prefer to see and be seen in most outdoor endeavors. FWIW (other than visually) I know that me and my boys have a better than LNT impact, as we always end up carrying out someone elses garbage in addition to our own.

:) I chuckled a bit when I read this, because I'm a bit of a 'wild child' when it comes to my clothes. I just bought a new BRIGHT green daypack, and my hiking boots are orange. I round this out with a BRIGHT yellow shell, and orange zip offs I bought a few years ago at REI. My hiking partner, Rosie, wears a blaze orange vest or she would blend into the forest. My tent is BRIGHT yellow, and I can always find it at the end of the day. My husband does not like to be seen with me. :)
Bruised

Color is good. For a while I wanted things to match, but now it doesn't matter any more. Also for a while, I thought "quiet" colors would be better, those that muted into the surroundings. That idea changed when I had trouble finding black items in the dark insides of my packs. As for the environmental impact of being seen by being loud with my colors, I think it is more important to be physically quiet -- I'm trying not to blow my nose with such gusto.

ditto sales bin color

Pete_Hickey said:
Like Ripple, I get whatever is left in the sales bin. Usually, it is the ugly colors that nobody wants to buy.

just like my street clothes, automobiles, etc :eek: :) :) :) :D

Onestep

carole said:
Funny, I thought more would 'fess up'. I'll have to go back and look at the many winter photos that everyone posts. ;)

I with you Carole! ...maybe I am the only guy to admit it too, but most of my stuff matches. But then I have several "outfits" as well.
For many years I have had the "blue" craze as it is my favorite color.
Lately, last several years, I have flopped to oranges.

But then, if worn in decent fashion, blue and orange can be quite appealing together. :rolleyes: :)
Then I have many things black...which goes with everything! ;)

Seriously, who cares what others think if you hold true to your own fashion and style? :cool:

And it does not mean that you buy everything full price either.....price is not even the issue! "Color" was your question.
YES, I match colors, or more importantly, I don't deliberately mismatch colors.
No point in being drab...wherever I go and for whatever I do. :)

And in case anyone hasn't noticed, nearly ALL technical apparel has taken on the "designer" look with color schemes and style.
Face it folks, whether you want it or not, its already on the shelves, unless you strictly shop in Army surplus..but then again...that stuff matches too! :eek:

Jeff

I don't coordinate my colors, but given the choice between brown and bright yellow, I'll pick yellow every time. I like colors that are bright enought to qualify as blaze orange (I like when gear does double duty) and that make me stick out a bit, this way if I do happen to get shot by a clumsy hunter that mistakes me for a moose, the authorities can find my body a bit easier......food for thought..........

carole said:
So how color coordinated are you? Do you try to match colors (gaiters, shell, hat, gloves, …more)? Will you not buy or wear something if the colors clash? Will you turn down a perfectly good piece because you don’t like the choice of colors or buy the least offensive color?

I don't worry about coordinating the colors that I wear, but I will avoid buying something if I don't like the color. I'll also pay full price for a color I like instead of buying something on sale in a color I don't like.

Orsonab said:
I'll wear any colour you want if it's 50% off! (Though I draw the line at pink - imagine the news story - "his body was identified by the pretty pink wind jacket" - oh, the shame....)
So you're saying that I should be embarrassed by what Rick said about me in this thread:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=138706&postcount=12

Oh yeah. When I wear my pink lycra pants (only $4), my nephew says that I look like a Dr Seuss character.

carole said:
Funny, I thought more would 'fess up'. I'll have to go back and look at the many winter photos that everyone posts. ;)
Oh... If my wife buys me something, she will buy it to match something else I have:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/fashion2.jpg

See? Don't I look Maaarvolous?

Last edited:
Pretty simple for me. If I am camping, trying to get away I will try to blend in with earth type colors as best as I can because frankly, I usally don't want to be noticed. OTOH, if I am doing search type activities the brighter the better.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Pretty simple for me. If I am camping, trying to get away I will try to blend in with earth type colors as best as I can because frankly, I usally don't want to be noticed. OTOH, if I am doing search type activities the brighter the better.

Keith
ayup, same mold. thanks keith.

Anyone remember these?

Need matching gear, but lack fashion sense? Try the new Gear-animals! Coming soon to an outdoor retailer near you.

Just match the attached animal tags and you won't end up a fashion disaster on the trail. Never more will you go through the humiliation of being told that your gaiters and balaclava clash. Now you can impress total strangers with your grasp of color and commitment to herd instinct.

Gear-animals - 'Cuz if you gotta shell out $400 for clothing, shouldn't it match?

/sorry I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Color coordination doesn't matter much to me, but sometimes it happens.

Hey Carole, aren't you trying to have all your gear match your car?

Sparkplug, thought you were one of the best dressed young women on the Trail last year.
Happy Hiking,
Don L