Dog Q - Retractable Leashes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Quesion from the newbie dog guy. I've got leashes made of heavy webbing from 6 to 25 feet but rarely use them. I've found that a heavy duty 25' retractable works best for my Nellie when walking in the neighborhood and local woods. It gets hung up less on things and I can lock it down in a moment to be only a couple feet if need be. Mine's rated for 100 lb dogs and Nellie's only 40. Any negatives, other than the weight, on using this for extended day hikes?

I LOVE Flexi leashes but only the TAPE type -- the cord type can seriously injure you, your dog or someone else if they get it wound around your/thier leg while your dog is pulling against it.

http://www.flexiusa.com/shop/product_detail.php?productId=619

The tape type I have found to be much safer, that said, I had my palm burned right down to nearly the bone when a young, aggressive rescue I was working with fired and I tried grabbing the line. :( Big mistake!

Other downsides I've found are if you drop the lead it zips back and hits your dog in the face/body and for some dogs this would be nerve wracking.

I keep a 16ft Flexi permanently clipped to my pack(s) and I use it whenever I need Terra on leash -- at a hut, around an area with lots of wildlife, or whenever I need to keep her near me . I used it in the ADK High Peaks region and taught her stop/go commands like "wait", "hike hike" for maneuvering ledges on leash, etc. And you can pre-train for all of this at home by showing Nellie what you want her to do if she walks around a tree, stairs can mimick ledgy areas, etc.

I find Flexi's to be great for teaching recall and allowing for a bit more exercise and freedom when a dog has to be on lead. Alot of trainers do not like them or allow them in classes due to the safety issues with "rope burns" but I think they serve a great purpose hiking. I like to train my dogs to work on both a flexi and a traditional lead but I chose the Flexi hands down for hiking.

An alternative to Flexi's are skijjor equipment; a padded hip belt for you, a quick release line with bungee end to clip to your dog's harness -- allows for hands free hiking (or use of two trekking poles which isn't possible with a Flexi). Downsides are potential falls/back injuries for you.

http://www.skijornow.com/beginner.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
So my Flexi Classic Long Large with tape should work well.. thanks!:D I agree the thin line on the smaller ones is dangerous.

I'm leaning toward attaching the handle to my pack strap with a short cord allowing the use of poles with my free hands. Keeps the handle in near proximity should I need to grab it.

And I agree they don't like it when you drop the handle. Fortunately she's pretty smart and usually hops over it as it goes by.

Good mention of a body harnesses on ledgy areas. I'll bring one should we encounter somethnig close to that but will likely keep her on collar for the safe stuff.

So my Flexi Classic Long Large

I'm leaning toward attaching the handle to my pack strap with a short cord allowing the use of poles with my free hands. Keeps the handle in near proximity should I need to grab it.

I use a climbing grade caribeener attached to my hip belt and it's worked out well. I just have to be careful when I take my pack off that the whole thing doesn't slide off and get left behind. :(

FWIW, if Nellie's only 40 lbs, I don't think you need the "100 lb rated" leash - I frankly think those are overkill even for 100lb dogs. As long as the handle is comfortable for you to hold, why deal with the extra weight?

I do think the "tape" leads are a better idea, though - in addition to being less likely to cause rope burns, the tape is much easier to grip if you need to reel her in and bring her closer.

(never been crazy about flexi's myself, and hike with a standard long-leash with small knots tied in it every few feet, but I know some folks swear by them)

We're away from NH without our dog right now so I can't check on which brand of retractable we use, but it is a cord-type. It's the only one I've used and it works for us. I like having the retractable, since Max will never be unleashed in public. While we're hiking, the retractable allows me to give him a large amount of freedom; he rarely has to walk right next to me. When I see people coming, I reel him in, so to speak. :)

He used to get tangled up in various items, but he learns with every hike and now I rarely have to unwrap him from something.

I use a climbing grade caribeener attached to my hip belt and it's worked out well. I just have to be careful when I take my pack off that the whole thing doesn't slide off and get left behind. :(

Thought about using a 'biner with a direct attach but the short length (maybe 18" attached at the shouder) will allow me to use the handle and the locking mechanism without the need to unclip.

FWIW, if Nellie's only 40 lbs, I don't think you need the "100 lb rated" leash - I frankly think those are overkill even for 100lb dogs. As long as the handle is comfortable for you to hold, why deal with the extra weight?

I do think the "tape" leads are a better idea, though - in addition to being less likely to cause rope burns, the tape is much easier to grip if you need to reel her in and bring her closer.

(never been crazy about flexi's myself, and hike with a standard long-leash with small knots tied in it every few feet, but I know some folks swear by them)

I like the wide tape that comes on the 100 lb rates. Virtually eliminates the chances of cutting the hands if you grab it. I'll deal with the weight.

While we're hiking, the retractable allows me to give him a large amount of freedom; he rarely has to walk right next to me. When I see people coming, I reel him in, so to speak. :)

He used to get tangled up in various items, but he learns with every hike and now I rarely have to unwrap him from something.

Ditto on the freedom with the ability to reel her in when needed. And her ability to not get wrapped around a tree amazes me.

Thought about using a 'biner with a direct attach but the short length (maybe 18" attached at the shouder) will allow me to use the handle and the locking mechanism without the need to unclip.

My 'biner is about five inches long? Its pretty big - I wish I had a pic to upload so you could see, but I can reach down right at my hip and press the button on the Flexi without unclipping, but it is prone to sliding off my hip belt when my pack is off--which has lead to a couple lost Flexi's. Let me know if you come up with a good configuration! :)

The wider the tape the better, Flexi cords can cut to the bone. Not a pretty sight. I actually use a Flexi rated for 25lb dogs because my hands are very small and I don't have to use one for control, just occasional leashing-- I think they are pretty sturdy.

You might want to consider attaching your line to yourself with a quick release, in the event you two ever get seriously hung up somewhere, you can safely and quickly disconnect.

Last edited:
Good ideas, thanks!

I've been using an fixed 8 foot lead but haven't been happy with it.

You use an 18 footer. Do you see any advantage for something longer?

Good ideas, thanks!

I've been using an fixed 8 foot lead but haven't been happy with it.

You use an 18 footer. Do you see any advantage for something longer?

I use 26 for two dogs (Rocky -#2 - is a shelter dog who doesn't quite have the fitness for more than a mile or so of up hill). Benefit is allowing them to roam as much as they want but still being able to bring them close quickly if there's a need. The retractable also keeps the leash off the ground so it gets hung up on less.

One issue with retractable leashes. If your attention lapses your dog can get a really good running start.
I had my son's gentle pit bull rescue on the retractor one time while having a conversation with someone. Janie saw a squirrel behind me and sprinted after it. I didn't notice and all 72 lbs of her hit the end of the leash, spinning me like a top and almost pulled my arm out of its socket.
Lesson learned with a big, powerful dog, but tape retractors are indispensable for us on walks where our Lab needs to be leashed.

I use 25 foot cotton line for teaching recall -- great for reinforcing/correcting-- Flexi's work GREAT with dogs who like to swim on hikes :).

Me, personally, I just find the standard leash more comfortable to hold for any length of time, harder to drop or have pulled out of my hand, and much easier to manually "retract" if I need to get him back in a hurry and he's not responding to a recall (doesn't happen much anymore, and I'm actually at a point where I'm letting him off more and more)

I may try clipping a flexi to my pack the next time I'm out, though.

Giving this a try

Did a little playing and took a test walk (complete with chipmunks being chased:eek:). This seems like it should work. I'm hanging the retractable from a short bungee in a spot that won't bang too much as we walk but that I can easily free (note the way the hook on my left it attached). Also have a safety strap with a 'biner for a quick release. I'll likely clip it elsewhere as I usually keep my water bottle on the right belt.

I'm a bit concerned with the height of the leash giving her leverage if she chases something but having it lower bounces on my hip which would be a bit much after a while.

If it fails I'll simply hold it by the handle..

Last edited:
One issue with retractable leashes. If your attention lapses your dog can get a really good running start.
I had my son's gentle pit bull rescue on the retractor one time while having a conversation with someone. Janie saw a squirrel behind me and sprinted after it. I didn't notice and all 72 lbs of her hit the end of the leash, spinning me like a top and almost pulled my arm out of its socket.
Lesson learned with a big, powerful dog, but tape retractors are indispensable for us on walks where our Lab needs to be leashed.

Heck to the yes on this...... happened to me just last Sunday, when my 9 yr old German Shepherd took a fancy to go herd a flock of wild turkeys crossing the back yard as I was opening the back door to bring him inside. He flew me like a kite.. right off the back-door stoop. Plural ouch.

Spirit is a rehomed, retired mobility assistance/ service dog @9 yrs old, with a solid 7 yr service record, but " oops".... dogs will still be dogs.

Retractable leashes do allow them to get up some speed and power!

Breeze

Lauky and I use the Ruff Wear Roamer. I have a harness on Lauky and I attach the Leash to a separate quick release belt that I wear. Using the leash as a belt, which is possible, shortens it too much as far as I'm concerned.

Even though the leash is attached to me I generally hold it in my left hand giving him more or less lead depending on the situation. On ledges I let go and use both hands for climbing.

Especially going downhill, for stability purposes, I find it much better to have the leash in my hand as my arm flexes better than my back. Also, on anything steep, when going down I insist that Lauky go behind me.

As you might guess I hike with only one pole.

We've been doing it this way for four years and we've both gotten quite used to it.