Dog Stories...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill40

Reaction score
Wednesday, June 1st, I started towards Skylight at the Trail Head in Keene Valley. I heard some bells tingling as I unloaded the truck. Four (4) wolf like dogs came out of the wood with some nice little bells on. They found me interesting with a little growl; but thankfully the owner was right there and called them back (better than calling them off!)... no leashes. They got into a Suburban that had a nice contraption in the front passenger seat for a lap top (I couldn't help looking at it, it was right next to me! ...I'm not out there looking in cars!)

I normally find it distasteful to 'police', but I'd have been pissed off if one of my kids were with me and ran ahead to sign in at the trailhead and met one (or four) of these meat eaters. In fact; I probably should have gotten the plate.

On another note; I thought these dogs were pretty cool. They were very wolf like ~ anyone else see them?

Furthermore, last week I encountered a growling pit bull(?) with three young men while I was climbing Giant with my 7 year old. Personally, I don't mind the no leash thing...But the dog ended up running away (from three other unleashed dogs) and was lost. I kept a sharp eye out for her and passed the other three dogs on the way up; but to no avail. The owner said to 'grab her, she doesn't bite'!

I love that phrase, its the most popular evidence when the medical damages lawsuit end up in court!

Based on history, I think most of us can anticipate what this thread can turn into. For the sanity of all, it gets "disappeared" at the first wrong turn.

I dreaded even opening this one.

A growl is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself - my dog has a fearsome sounding play growl. When trying to evaluate the bite potential of a dog, I would pay more attention to the dog's body language.

Bill40: I agree with you regarding the "grab her" comment. A *responsible* handler should be aware of and reasonably in control of their dog when in public.

Just because someone says that their dog is friendly, or doesn't bite, doesn't make it true. Likewise, just because a dog is or appears to be a certain breed or type, does not automatically make the dog aggressive.

DEC regulations

"3. In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall:
x. leave a pet unattended or fail to maintain complete control over the pet;

xi. fail to have, in their immediate possession, proof of a valid and current rabies inoculation for any dog which is accompanying them;"

"4. In the Eastern High Peaks Zone, no person shall fail to leash pets on trails, at primitive tent sites, at lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates, provided that this provision shall not be applicable to hunting dogs which, with a licensed hunter, are actively hunting during appropriate hunting seasons at locations other than primitive tent sites, lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates."

I came down from Mt. Carrigain a few weeks ago, and passed a menacing-looking black lab. After initially growling at me, he took the time to lick my shin as I went by. He was unleashed, and also uninterested in anything other than my sweat and the water puddle he was lapping from. The owner said or did nothing...but there was no reason too, either.

I never heard, saw, and noticed the dog again.

Most of the time when I encounter loose dogs, they will be running ahead on the trail, see me and turn and run back to the owner. When I used to bring my Husky, who has now lost his sight, I always kept him on a leash and when some one came, I would step off to the side and keep him on a short hold as he is overly friendly.

That sounds like my boy, Rugger. Casey is my 100+ lb. black lab. The only injury he'd cause to anyone is bruising about the knee region from his tail whapping in exhuberance. He is an intimidating presence, though and I do the same thing that you do even if I'm on a very wide trail with plenty of room. He has a very quick tongue and copius amounts of drool available for flinging off the tip if he can't come in physical contact with you...

I was checking out the sign-in log at the Garden Weds night (6/1) and someone wrote (paraphrasing) "a couple with 4 unleashed dogs, one that looked like a wolf, approached us menacingly at the leanto". Sounds like your group.

Rick

The "dogs on mountain" story I've been following lately is this one from Canada.com about the man still missing on Grouse Mountain (if that's where he is):

"Rescue officials have turned to teams of search dogs in the hunt for David Koch, an American businessman missing from Grouse Mountain for more than a week.

"Those dogs are working very hard. They all covered a four-kilometre-squared area [yesterday]," said Const. John MacAdam of the North Vancouver RCMP.

"They concentrate so hard and they come down just exhausted."

The seven dog teams, led by RCMP, Vancouver police and Search and Rescue officials, found no clues that would explain Koch's disappearance.

"We need people to come forward at this point, people that saw him. We really need a clue," Koch's wife, Suzanne, told The Province.

Koch, 36, went missing from the top of Grouse Mountain's Skyride at about 8 p.m. last Wednesday."

Bill40 said:
I love that phrase, its the most popular evidence when the medical damages lawsuit end up in court!

As I understand your feelings, I feel this comment is really nothing but bait. Personally If a dog growls at me I often look at the owner -- you can usually tell how dangerous a dog is by thier reaction. That being said, one should know better then to have an agressive dog running loose.

On a side note, the caretaker at Speck Pond a couple years ago had a dog... He must have forgot his leash at the trailhead ;)

Regarding leashes...

Please remember too, that a leash does not necessarily mean that the handler is responsible and/or that the dog is in control.

As Waumbek emphasizes, SAR dogs are a breed apart, as are their handlers. I've done bits of training and tracking with various of my dogs over the years. None began to approach the acumen required by a SAR team of dog and handler. Kudos to such teams and their input here on VFTT.

I took my Golden hiking with me for many years. She enjoyed it more than I did and it was good for her. She loved to be off the leash and always led me by 5-10 paces. As a responsible dog owner, it is our responsibility to realize that all others are not as fond of dogs as we are. Certainly the more menacing looking a dog is, (pitbulls, shepards for sure) the more intimidated a stranger might be. I love dogs but pit bulls scare the byjesus out of me. And some folks and especially kids are just terrified of any dog. I always had my dog's leash strapped to the outside of my pack where it was readily available and I always put her on leash or at least stopped and secured her by the collar when other hikers approached. It is the courteous thing to do. Most fellow hikers fell in love with her immediately and asked to pet her which was always very rewarding, for the dog and myself. But it was abvious that some people just didn't want anything to do with the dog, or maybe it was me, I never asked. I was afraid they'd bite my head off. But that was their right and I respect it. People and dogs is one issue and I think dog owners probably are right when they say, "my dog won't hurt you". Unfortunately dog on dog issues can be just as big and issue. Some dogs are great with people but a real problem when they encounter other dogs and I always feared my Golden getting attacked by a bigger more viscious breed, which in turn would have really set me off, and understandably so I believe. We have enough leash laws out there and other restrictions for our pets. Please, please, please, just use common sense and keep you dog under control, put it on a leash while others pass by and pick up after them or at least relocate their waste from the trail. I did it for ten years and was never inconvenienced by it all and can honestly say, my dog was never a problem chikd. We can all coexist and, if we are respectful we can all continue to share the wornderful hiking experience with our pets.

The couple we met coming down Uncanoonuc Thursday night had a cute little hound dog with them (leashed.) He gave a few growls and a bark, but it was kinda hard to think he was being agressive, he was just to sweet looking a pup :) . But hey, Im a dog person myself, so I might be biased.
Brian

I do most of my hiking solo and I haven't really met all that many dogs on the trail. So far, every one of my encounters has been pleasurable, friendly dogs and friendly owners. When I see a dog, I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be friendly. I stop, and wait for him to approach me, or to let the owner catch up to him. Every time it's resulted in lots of petting and licking. :)

Bill40 said:
I heard some bells tingling as I unloaded the truck. Four (4) wolf like dogs came out of the wood with some nice little bells on. They found me interesting with a little growl; but thankfully the owner was right there and called them back (better than calling them off!)... no leashes.
On another note; I thought these dogs were pretty cool. They were very wolf like ~ anyone else see them?
I love the "wolf-like" comments! :) Seriously. I always get asked if my dog (pictured in the avatar) is a dog/wolf hybrid. I have to tell them "Nope, she just a siberian husky." Actually, she's a Seppala Siberian, which are bred with a short coat for sprint races pulling a sled. The picture shows her in January, at full thickness of coat. Some siberians, and more so Alaskan huskies, are often described as wolf-like. According to literature that I've read, they're no more related to wolves than any other dog.

As for me, I hike with her on a leash at all times. She has a huge desire to chase squirrels, chipmunks, and birds, so I have to keep her on a lead. She's very friendly and loves to jump around whenever she meets strangers, so I always hold her by my side when other pass by. The excitement gets multiplied by 10 when another dog is present, and she often ends up scaring the other dog. :eek: If I can get her to calm down enough to properly introduce the dogs, then she's fine. This I am working on.

I used to be very "gun shy" of dogs when I was a kid, so I know what others may be feeling. I didn't really get over my apprehension until I brought home my little sweetie. At least the owner put bells on them as a warning. I figure the jingle of my dogs three tags is enough to let someone, or something, know she's coming. I think you will find that the majority of dogs you meet on the trail are indeed friendly (despite the sometimes unsettling growling noises) and their owners are very responsible. But, we all know what a few bad apples can do....

Smitty

Retrievers seem to be a popular breed to take into the backcountry here.....nice to see. Tupelo (my Golden) has been a constant companion in the woods since we got her - from overnights to 7-10 day treks all over New England. She is always off lead, unless someone's coming, at which point her leash comes out and she gets led off trail, and told to "sit" as the strangers approach. Truth be told, she's trained well enough to not need the leash, but it makes others more comfortable, and is easy enough to clip on.

Not everyone wants an encounter with a soaking wet 100lb canine, and it's our responsibility as pet owners to make sure we accomodate that. One thing I found interesting as I read the responses here is the number of owners who let the dog do the leading! My dog is ALWAYS behind me on trail, as I'm the alpha in our group - she shouldn't be leading....this virtually eliminates unwanted run-ins. This way, if I hear someone coming (or don't, as a summer day has its own noises and hikers are often a quiet group) it's real easy to clip her up....usually as the person(s) approach and hear me say "Sit Tupelo" and then see a cooperating dog they're made more comfortable.

In my opine, those sharing the wilderness with us warrant those small steps. To me it falls under common courtesy - much like burying waste and leaving nothing behind that tells of our passing.

I wouldn't mind running into this rescue dog on the trail....

photo_link.pl