Double Hit & Run on Jackson & Cannon, 9/4/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 4, 2010: Jackson and Cannon

Trails: Two Hikes - Double Hit & Run

Jackson = Webster-Jackson Trail

Cannon = Kinsman Ridge Trail

Summits: Mount Jackson, Cannon Mountain

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Hit & Run days are interesting because there are multiple hikes in the day. Since each hike starts and ends at the trailhead there is a higher amount of elevation gain per mile for the day. More gain – more pain.

Sue and I met at the Exit 6 Park & Ride, early as usual. Our day in the mountains started with a visit to the Highland Center to purchase new WMNF Parking Passes. After that, all we had left to do was hike. A little later than originally planned we were headed to the trailhead parking just south of the Highland Center.

The first target was Jackson with the trailhead parking a few hundred yards south of the Highland Center on Route 302. We grabbed our things and took off. The cloud cover was low and no area summits were visible early in the day. The forecast indicated the cloud cover would lift and by midday the summits should be in the clear. Consequently, we expected to enjoy some views during the second half of the day. The hike to Jackson is generally sheltered all of the way to the summit clearing and we weren’t missing out on any views by hiking in clouds. We made our way along the Webster Jackson Trail to the trail split where the Webster Branch to Mount Webster goes right and the Jackson Branch goes left. A quick check showed we were right on schedule. From here we started to see other hikers on the trail ascending and descending Jackson.

We continued on our moderate pace and made our way carefully along the trail. Everything was wet from overnight rain and the wet roots and rocks made for slippery conditions. A little extra care was needed in some places. Usually, Sue and I have been hiking this trail after dark and on this time through we seemed to notice a few differences. I’m sure recent rain had something to do with it but there appear to be some brooks that we never noticed before. Fortunately, the water was concentrated in these drainage areas and there were limited mud pits.

Roughly half way between the trail split and the summit we were passed by a couple with a few dogs; four that appeared to be Golden Retrievers (possibly a mix) and one lap dog. I thought they were in for some difficult going on the final rocky climb of the summit cone.

We made our way toward the summit and noticed the wind increasing as we climbed. Soon, both Sue and I had an extra layer on. We both went with our rain jacket mainly for the wind. We started into the final rocky section leading to the exposed ledge and summit clearing being extra careful with every step. With no slips or falls we hit the summit generally on plan. There, we found a couple that passed back at the trail split and the couple with the dogs. After an assist with summit pictures we took off.

Even though we were on-plan in terms of hike time we started the hike nearly an hour late and wanted to see if we could make up a little of that on the hike out. I don’t think we made more than a couple stops on the hike out to talk with others on their ascent. By the time we hit the trailhead the clouds were high and summits generally in the clear, just as predicted. We tossed our things into the truck and made a quick stop at the Highland Center before heading to Franconia Notch and our hike of Cannon Mountain.

Something was going on at Cannon on Saturday. We arrived to the trailhead parking area and noticed the lots were generally full of vehicles. We didn’t lose any time trying to figure it out. We grabbed our things and set off for the Kinsman Ridge Trail. Cannon Mountain is an interesting hike. Right from the trailhead lot the mountain starts kicking your butt; there’s no warm-up allowed.

Unfortunately, the ride from Jackson was just long enough for things to stiffen up and the initial part of the Cannon hike was going to be worse than a simple cold start. We immediately got into the climb and very soon were stepping into the section where Kinsman Ridge Trail and Kinsman Glade ski trail run together. Somebody must have gotten a deal on blue paint. I have never seen blazing as heavy as this on any other trail. The trees and rocks were loaded. Along the way we met quite a number of others that might have taken an alternate route to the summit and were now walking back down. The reason I suggest this is one woman was descending in Crocs and there were quite a few others in nice new, and clean, white sneakers, and most were without a pack of any type.

We made our way up Kinsman Ridge Trail to the roped-off section of Kinsman Glade, made the left, and were once again on a hiking trail – only a hiking trail. The final section of trail leading to the spur to Cannon Cliffs was clear sailing with only a very small amount of mud along the way. We didn’t stop at Cannon Cliffs and just kept moving for the summit. Up ahead we could see others, quite a few others on the summit tower and on the trail below. Still following an incredibly well marked trail we made our way to the final rocky climb leading to Rim Trail and then the summit tower.

The summit tower was a busy place but it turned out everybody was together and their tram was preparing to leave. Everybody left as we arrived and we had the tower to ourselves. After getting a few summit pictures we noticed some very bad looking weather to the southwest. And, it was moving in our direction. I was hoping we could at least get below Kinsman Glade before it arrived. We took off on our return to the trailhead.

The hike back down went fast. Along the way we passed a couple other groups, one ascending and one descending. A short distance before reaching Kinsman Glade the rain started. Both of us pulled out the rain jackets and continued our careful hike down. Roughly half-way down Kinsman Glade I noticed the wind direction changed and we were feeling an easterly wind. The rain stopped and I was sure we wouldn’t see any more of it unless the wind direction changed again.

We finished the hike out, tossed our things into the truck, changed into some dry things, and hit the highway south for the drive home. We had a good day split between Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch. Our plan for Sunday included the Twins and Galehead with a relatively early start. Now it was time for a quick run home and some rest.

Pictures will follow.

:D