Drop a Dime

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the follow up. Glad these perps were caught. Such simple rules to follow. At least some justice on this occasion. Reminds me of the women who carried her dog on that trail a few years back and then blabbed about it all over the Internet. Except these three probably didn’t realize they were being filmed. Interesting side note about Peregrins being the fastest animal on the planet. I remember rock climbing back in the 70’s before all the awareness myself included became very apparent about these birds. I’ll admit being an ignorant teenager on that case. But I do remember getting dive bombed a few times. These three got caught doing something illegal but they could have also made a nice soufflé for the birds.

These are the same types that trample alpine tundra. They are not vested in the outdoors, they just go out occasionally to get their rocks off. Just fine them about 5k and use the money for the parks preservation efforts. When I was a rock climber we always honored the seasonal closures, the birds have more rights to the land than we do. It's our playground, it's their home, big difference.

Maybe the same crew who left big piles of (human) poop and scattered toilet paper on the edge of Airline a few weeks ago.

I mean really.... who does this kind of stuff?

Maybe the same crew who left big piles of (human) poop and scattered toilet paper on the edge of Airline a few weeks ago.

I mean really.... who does this kind of stuff?
That appears to be a pattern up there. Last time I hiked Airline was in 2022 and I remember catching a strong scent not far from treeline and then being traumatized with the discovery of a giant human turd (along with toilet paper) right by the edge of the trail.

I mean, I get it... that's a gorgeous trail and it's hard to contain yourself sometimes with those views, but does it have to be right there on the edge of the trail?!

It is basically a total lack of wilderness knowledge, respect and ethics. Many of these folks are in the mountains only for themselves with the simple goal of bagging peaks.

You don't need an LNT course to know leaving a dump on the trail is gross and antisocial. How many hikers these days carry a trowel for such occasions? The eleventh essential?

A guy on the FB 4k page was bitching about the mess. We've met the enemy... and he is us!

I ran across #2 directly on the ammo trail just a few years ago. Right in middle of trail with wadded up TP on it. Perhaps a cultural issue?

Happily, I've encountered this problem only once, when I found tp -- but only paper -- on the Madison Gulf Trail many years ago. I was angry, but it later occurred to me that an animal might have dug up poorly buried waste and scattered it. That is, a hiker might have done the right thing, but not well. So, yes, in some cases, a lesson is needed, but perhaps the blame is a bit less.

Happily, I've encountered this problem only once, when I found tp -- but only paper -- on the Madison Gulf Trail many years ago. I was angry, but it later occurred to me that an animal might have dug up poorly buried waste and scattered it. That is, a hiker might have done the right thing, but not well. So, yes, in some cases, a lesson is needed, but perhaps the blame is a bit less.
It was certainly no bear in the instance I cited above. And it's pretty routine to see TP near trails. I don't think animals are to blame for that (at least not four-legged animals).

After a hearty breakfast and a few cups o Joe, we all gotta do what we gotta do once on the trail.

Knowing that you pack the required supplies. The key one being a trowel rugged enough to dig 6-9 inches into the rocky n rooty hardscape of our beloved mountains. Hopefully you have not waited so long to answer the call that you don't have time to located a nice spot OFF THE TRAIL... the farther the better.

An ever present twig (not trowel) is used to bury your byproducts in the hole. Replace and tamp dirt. Boom. Done.

This type of behavior is what separates us from the less intelligent animals. What's so hard about this?

After a hearty breakfast and a few cups o Joe, we all gotta do what we gotta do once on the trail.

Knowing that you pack the required supplies. The key one being a trowel rugged enough to dig 6-9 inches into the rocky n rooty hardscape of our beloved mountains. Hopefully you have not waited so long to answer the call that you don't have time to located a nice spot OFF THE TRAIL... the farther the better.

An ever present twig (not trowel) is used to bury your byproducts in the hole. Replace and tamp dirt. Boom. Done.

This type of behavior is what separates us from the less intelligent animals. What's so hard about this?
Thanks for the review on what could be a potentially crappy situation.

During the beginning of Covid when everyone thought it's was like Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman, I still hiked. I carried everything with me and didn't stop at any stores or bathrooms. I remember dragging my dog out into the woods so I could, well poop and he would watched me with very inquisitive eyes including a couple of head tilts until he got used to it.

During the beginning of Covid when everyone thought it's was like Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman, I still hiked. I carried everything with me and didn't stop at any stores or bathrooms. I remember dragging my dog out into the woods so I could, well poop and he would watched me with very inquisitive eyes including a couple of head tilts until he got used to it.
"Hmmmm. Daddy does that too?!"

Said another dog person. :)