Dr's RX for Health Club/YMCA fees ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I had different medical insurance a few years ago and at some point asked my family Dr about a prescription for our YMCA membership, which he was happy to write. The prescription allowed me to deduct membership expenses against my annual deductible, which meant the insurance would then pay for more of our actual medical expenses. Or maybe it allowed me to withdraw the membership expenses from a MSA we were trying to use up. I do remember having to submit a printout of my weekly attendance, which the Y can provide.

Is this common ? Recommended ? Something you hadn't thought of, but might now ? Thanks

What Doug Paul siad. I give patients prescriptions to walk etc hoping they look at the prescription like a medication, something they should do. I imagine if its documented in the notes that you need to exercise for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight loss ie a medical reason you could justify it. Check the IRS regs for medical deductions and see if health club fees are specifically excluded. I am so lucky to have a great gym here on the USCG training center where I can work out for free

What Doug Paul siad. I give patients prescriptions to walk etc hoping they look at the prescription like a medication, something they should do. I imagine if its documented in the notes that you need to exercise for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight loss ie a medical reason you could justify it. Check the IRS regs for medical deductions and see if health club fees are specifically excluded. I am so lucky to have a great gym here on the USCG training center where I can work out for free

If you had a prescription the club fees would be includable towards the 7 1/2% of income required for medical fees to be deductible on your tax return. And I understand some plans include some fee reimbursement, without a prescription. My question had more to with if you can just routinely include club fees towards your annual deductible, to try to maximize what your medical insurance pays every year, if you have a prescription (for weight loss, joint pain, cholesterol, etc.). I'm sure we all have something our doctor would agree could be improved with regular exercise.

If you had a prescription the club fees would be includable towards the 7 1/2% of income required for medical fees to be deductible on your tax return. And I understand some plans include some fee reimbursement, without a prescription. My question had more to with if you can just routinely include club fees towards your annual deductible, to try to maximize what your medical insurance pays every year, if you have a prescription (for weight loss, joint pain, cholesterol, etc.). I'm sure we all have something our doctor would agree could be improved with regular exercise.

This might help:

http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-finance/taxes/Can-I-Write-Off-This-Case-of-SnackWells-12629/

I hope.