Ed Viesturs going for No. 14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Mallory did use O2 on Everest in 1924, and probably chose Sandy Irvine to go with him because Irvine knew more about how to maintain the O2 apparati than did Noel "I saw them above the second step going strong for the summit" Odell. This is the same Odell for which the gully in Huntington Ravine is named.

If Fritz Wiessner had made the summit of K2 in 1939, as he came really close to doing without O2, probably Hillary would not have taken O2 to Everest in 1953. Even in 1953 the O2 tanks and apparati were still very heavy and cumbersome, which required hundreds of porters and sherpas to get the extra weight to the South Col. Although O2 tanks and apparati are much lighter weight today, dozens of extra porters and sherpas are still required to get the extra weight to the South Col on commercial expeditions, which is the main reason that these expeditions are so expensive for clients. Of course, short-roping clients from the South Col to the summit does not come cheaply either.

Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler were indeed first to summit Everest without O2, in 1979 I think. But, many of the other 11 who have done all 14 8000 meter peaks along with Messner summited Everest without O2, I believe. Messner and Habeler both wrote books about their O2-less ascent, which led to their falling out, because Messner was mad at Habeler who published his book first. Nevertheless, at the time Messner credited Habeler with the longest and fastest glissade in history from the South Summit to the South Col. Habeler wrote that he was in a hurry to get down because he had convinced himself that he was losing all of his brain cells from lack of O2.

Besides Ed Viesturs, there are five others still alive who have climbed 13 of the 14 8000 meter summits. I am not sure if any of the other five are on their 14th summit attempt this season. There are three more with 12, one with 11, and six with 10 of the 8000 meter summits to their credit. Three died with 10 or more completed.

Anatoli Boukreev died on Annapurna because he was caught in an avalanche, not because he was not using O2, which he never used on Everest either. Boukreev never got up 10 of the 8000 meter summits. Annapurna is the most dangerous 8000 peak, based on the ratio of fatalities to successful summit ascents.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
If Fritz Wiessner had made the summit of K2 in 1939, as he came really close to doing without O2, probably Hillary would not have taken O2 to Everest in 1953.
The '53 British team was progressing so slowly up the Lotse Face (route between the Western Cwm and the South Col) that they found it necessary to use oxygen. This, to me, suggests that they probably would have used oxygen above.

Obviously, both of our opinions are speculation.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler were indeed first to summit Everest without O2, in 1979 I think.
Others were on the mountain at the time and they did were able to follow a broken path for at least part of the way. (Of course, still a great achievement.)

Messner's North Face (actually North Ridge to Great Couloir) oxygenless ascent was truly solo to boot--no one else was on the north side of the mountain. Also a new route.

Doug

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
Except Mallory and Irving relied on oxygen bottles. And there's no hard evidence that they made it to the top.
:cool:

-dave-
Dave I am inclinde to agree with you although, I read and watched something about a Expedition that in part was loooking for evidnece of Mallory summiting . His body was located and from the acount I read they in fact ran out of O2 and were well above 28,000 ft or the Second Step if I remember correctly . Also some Ice Axes were found by the Chinese well above the second step and over 28,700 or higher when they climbed the North Ridge Just think those guys did that in tweed suits with hobnailed boots .
Regardless any one who climbs to or above 8,000 metrers with out supplemental O2 is either in incredible shape or has the right genentics to do so. . I know that just climbing above 13,000 ft in CO can be tough going even having been above 10,000 for a few days . I can only imagine what it would be like at 26,000 ft.

Last edited:
If there are going to any new completers this year, I have my money on Poland's Piotr Pustelnik, who is currently on Annapurna fixing ropes to camp 2 ... where the weather is supposedly pretty bad. I'm also rooting for Viesturs, but past history says the heavy snows on Annapurna will keep him off the top as they did in 2000 and 2002. Viesturs of course is well-known for his cautious approach.

So this is where my Polish pride comes in. Pustelnik has 12 of the 14 but if he bags Annapurna this year, he has stated he may also attempt the relatively straightforward Broad Peak this year as well, which would give him all 14. And the man from Lodz would become the third Pole to accomplish the feat.

I couldn't find any info of anyone else likely to finish this year.

"Everest: Expedition to the Ultimate" is Messner's book on the first O2-less ascent. It's a good read, but I liked "The Crystal Horizon" much better, which recounted his solo ascent from the north side. Poland's Jerzy Kukuckza's "My Vertical World" was the best of all, though. It's the story of his climbs of the 14 8K peaks.

Ed survives close call

If you read today's Day 6 report on firstandbest.msn.com, you will see that Viesturs had his first close call shortly after arriving at Annapurna base camp. Between Base Camp and Camp 1, Ed and Veikka were nearly swept up in an avalanche.

Viesturs' quote: "Sprinting at 15,000 feet in hard plastic boots is pretty difficult."

Last edited:
Sometimes, it's just great to be wrong. This guy is incredible. Perhaps he will now write the book I've been hoping he'd publish.

'Himalayan Quest' offers great photography, but an autobiography would be suberb!