Electric socks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Has anybody tried keeping their feet warm with electric socks? Any recommendations?

The big problem with electric socks is that they will eventually run out of batteries. Then what do you do? In an emergency you'll need to be able to keep warm without them so you have to find a boot/sock combination that will keep you warm. I'm also not sure I'd trust them not to fail while I'm scrambling/climbing.

You might try the chemical heat packs designed for boots. It's easy to throw a half-dozen in the pack. They add an extra boost that keeps the toes warm in most conditions.

-dave-

I had a pair and wasn't too impressed. The wire crossing the top of the toes irritated my feet. A couple of times when I fell, the battery fell out of the vinyl pouch and would be dangling by the wire. Oh, and in cold temps, the battery life is very short.

I support Dave's advice on the chemical heater packs. Much easier to work with.

I would not trust them. Once your feet get use to the electric sock it will make it hard to readjust to the cold when you dont use them or if they fail. Your best bet is to do without them or you can bring them for emergency's.

I used them once ice fishing and hated them. Your feet sweat and then when the cold saps the battery they freeze. I've used the chemical heat packs in my boots on long winter hikes and have had no problems.

Jim lombard said:
I've used the chemical heat packs in my boots on long winter hikes and have had no problems.
Anybody know what some are called(ie. brand names)? I'll be shopping in Canada. Do they take up a lot of room in your boots? How long do they last?

I should have mentioned that my feet are permantly out of adjustment to the cold cuz I've frozen them so many times playing hockey and skiing in Manitoba. The worst was cross-country ski/winter camping with those flimsy x-c ski boots in the 70's. It was -30 at noon. When I took off my boots and sox my feet, not just the toes, were as white as the snow. I put mocassins on and jogged thru hip deep snow for 20 min before the circulation came back! It hurt like you wouldn't believe but man, was I glad!

They are all pretty much the same, just powdered steel that rusts really fast. I've used Grabber brand and you can pick them up just about anywhere.

I don't use them while hiking, but they're great to have in your emergency kit in the winter.

-dave-

Thanks guys! I could've googled in order to get the info but then nobody else would potentially benefit, right?
Here's to warm tootsies this winter!

I haven't tried them and I wouldn't for reasons already stated. I carry a few chemical hand (or foot) warmers during the winter but I see that as an emergency tool to use, say, if my fingers were on the verge of frostbite, I couldn't manipulate my pack, matches or gear and was approaching a distress situation.

In my opinion, if your extremities are chronically cold you may wish to determine if there is a reason, medical or otherwise. It sometimes has to do with circulation and the cause of that could be as simple as the combination of heavy duty winter socks and shoes too tight cutting off circulation. Once you've been frostbitten you are at a higher risk of repeating it; again, the circulation damage caused by the first occasion (or even near occasion I understand).

Thanks for the Grabberwarmers website. I e-mailed them for info & they're sending me a free pair to try out. Good marketing on their part cuz if they work for me I might as welll buy the company. :)