EMS Starlight II tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
As you can tell I have light weight backpacking tents on my mind. Any opinions out there on the EMS Starlight II? Looks light and solid and a little more affordable than the REI one I was high on this morning.
Any thoughts appreciated...

Hi,

I looked at both your tnet posts, but I'm still not sure exactly what sort of tent you are looking for.

The Six Moon Europa II is a rather light tent. The solo version is quite popular among long distance hikers, I am told.

Al -
I am looking for a two person backpacking tent preferably close to 4 pounds...I am not doing anything super long distance, but am trying to keep the weight down a bit as I tend to over pack (but I am getting better.)
I am also very cost conscience....I will mainly use the tent alone, but I think I would be uncomfortable with a one person tent.
Thanks for the input!

sapblatt said:
Al -
I am looking for a two person backpacking tent preferably close to 4 pounds...I am not doing anything super long distance, but am trying to keep the weight down a bit as I tend to over pack (but I am getting better.)
I am also very cost conscience....I will mainly use the tent alone, but I think I would be uncomfortable with a one person tent.
Ah, very good. So, you still might want to look at the Six Moon Design tent, on a bit of a discount, though it is closer to 2 lbs than your desired 4 lbs. The Henry Shires tarptents are also quite popular in that weight class, but no discounts this time of year. These lightweights do have proper floors and screens, something my wife definitely demands from any tent. And carrying for a solo tent might be easier in this weight class. I think the lightweights probably may not be as good as a conventional tent for high winds, snow, and perhaps general abuse.

How about the SD UL Flash? I have the solo version, and I like it a lot.

If I come across any more conventional lightweight tents that might interest you, I'll post back. It seems like a good time to shop at REI (20% off coming up soon?) or EMS (club discount this weekend?) though.

Check out the North Face SlipRock, most likely pick one up for a song on ebay.

I picked up a UL Flash last March for $90 and I love the tent - Ultralight as a double wall and (IMMHO) built better than REI or EMS models.
Seeing it for $159 and knowing what I know about it now,I'd easily buy it for that price. It is one of my 3-Season mainstays now

Though a little tight for two big guys, it is luxurious as a solo tent. The downside is that it is not freestanding, (though neither are UL singlewalls like Europa, Shires...) but it needs only 4 stakes to be set.

Tramper Al said:
If I come across any more conventional lightweight tents that might interest you, I'll post back. It seems like a good time to shop at REI (20% off coming up soon?) or EMS (club discount this weekend?) though.
thanks again Al- the SD tent is another one I like...
I demand a floor and netting too...
Pretty sure EMS sale is this Friday and Saturday and REI is next weekend.

sapblatt said:
As you can tell I have light weight backpacking tents on my mind. Any opinions out there on the EMS Starlight II? Looks light and solid and a little more affordable than the REI one I was high on this morning.
Any thoughts appreciated...

We own the Starlight II and love it. I know there are still lighter options out there, but in buying it, we shed about 4 lb. from our previous tent (which we still use in winter). Good vesibule space. Snug with two people, but that's OK with us!

1.5 cents worth

I am tough on tents, and share your enthusiasm for trying to find the sweetspot between carrying weight and comfort-related features. My 1.5 cents worth:
* free-standing is imperative; given that, see how easy the pole/sleeve set-up is in the store. I find that I can pretty much guy any tent to reasonable weatherproofness, once it's on the ground -- but tents that are tough to initial get upright when it's below freezing are too much of a nuisance factor.

* it's funny how important $40 seems in the store, and then I'm out somewhere and the dang seam that was "factory-tape-sealed" leaks and ... grrrr ... can't believe I was stingy ...

I just got the Black Diamond Lightsabre bivvy sack, I can't wait to give it some work.

Dan

The winner is...

Thank you all for the valuable advice and insight. I spent most of last night checking out all of the tents you all mentioned. I ended up going with the EMS Starlight II...features and sale price were the clinchers. At 20 % off it was only $119...pretty cool, and only a couple of ounces over four pounds.

Thanks again! :eek: