energy saving tip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Kittredge said:
If I'm breakfasting at Pinkham Notch, it goes like this:

sausages or bacon
pancakes or french toast
scrambled eggs
muffin
yogurt, granola and fruit
skim milk, OJ, coffee

And a half hour later I'm ready to hit the trail.

Man can you pack it away. That's a great breakfast! That's not "too" grease. This is grease: corn beef hash, cheese omelet, home fries, buttered toast, bacon & sussage.

Triple burger, triple fries, triple shake......triple by-pass.

Remember the old man (Burgess Meredith, loved the character) from "Grumpy Old Men". "I eat bacon for breakfast, and for lunch?... bacon, a whole d**n plate of it... and I usually drink my supper." :)

I broke that rule a few times....

:cool: :cool:
peakbagger said:
What not to do, Joins Matts and crew for a fourth of July Presi Traverse when the rest of the crew is on average half my age and mostly marathoners to boot. Then only gnaw on clif bars all day (except for the traditional Mt washington bowl of chili and a brownie at Lakes)!

I remember that hike.......eating ice cream & drinking beer at the same time....hmmmm, kept me going over Jackson!!

I think everyone has missed the biggest way to feel younger and be a stronger hiker!!

Forget how old you are and "join" the younger groups on hikes and traverses. It works for me, I've tried the age card with them and they haven't let me pull it yet!!! Even being a Grandmother doesn't get me any slack.......

Hike hard/ climb hard and laugh often...

On the serious side...healthy eating and sleep and staying active not just a weekend warrier really helps!! I just turned the big "50" and I feel younger than ever. I do use poles now and am trying to save my knees which are good!!

Don't forget that the OP was focusing on the fact that he is 50.

Some of these exercise routines are aimed at much younger athletes--as one gets older, backing off on the intensity and including more rest become more important. Individuals also vary, so what works well for one person may not work as well (or may cause injury) in another.

See http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24098 for the "better" way... :)

BTW, in expeditionary mountaineering the upper 30 and lower 40 year-olds often outperform the those in their 20s...

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Don't forget that the OP was focusing on the fact that he is 50.

Some of these exercise routines are aimed at much younger athletes--as one gets older, backing off on the intensity and including more rest become more important. Individuals also vary, so what works well for one person may not work as well (or may cause injury) in another.

I haven't changed the methodology over 20 years. What changed (for me) is the level of maximum intensity comes down and the recovery time goes up. I think a lot still applies. Plus I raced against guys in their 50s, and still ride with several, many of whom could kick my behind on a lark. Still you make a fine point--what works for some does not work for all. Age is only part of the equation.

Besides, if you can't be an athlete, you can always be an athletic supporter ;)

Tim

I've always thought that using poles to help push while ascending helps to spread out the overall energy expenditure. And believe me, I never finish a long hike saying "Boy my arms are beat!". Everything that I can do to spare my legs and knees at this point is a plus in my book.

I hiked Sat & Sun with an umbrella.

When it rained on and off I didn't have to put on that sultry rain gear.

It made a good walking stick too. :)