Ever hike when you knew you were sick?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been fortunate that the only time I hiked when I was sick I felt better afterwards but I'd consider it foolhardy to try to prove any mettle above treeline in winter.

Last year I was sick and should have stayed in bed for the Flags on the 48 event. Being the one with the flag and pole, did the hike anyways but it took 50% longer than normal. Luckily it was a perfect day weather wise. The next day Geri and Cantdog took the dogs for a hike while I slept.

Only once where i knew i was really sick before taking off - in the Andes in middle of nowhere. I could have stayed at "basecamp" but then would have wasted the three days to get there. So, off i went through the muggy jungle and up the mountain, lagging far behind, sliding backwards at times on on slick, slick mud, toting way too much stuff, totally drenched in sweat and ready to die there... I was about to just sit down and wait for my mates to pass back by a few hours later, but then i started to hear some really weird Jurassic Park type stuff speaking in the jungle - so ..., BAM - i got energized, caught up and eventually sweated it out. (and nothing got me!) :D

OTOH, i've started out feeling great (w just the right amt of a night before feeling) and then BOOM cramped out, etc. and shut down - a couple of times. It's always the same thing too - the human body can only only take so much alcohol and lack of sleep ... :eek:

Hiking when sick

It all depends, for me, whether I go or not- if I am not feeling well. If I am really sick, then I don't peakbag, but I have been known to go out to the woods and camp, even when ill. Just because I'd rather have a cold and be in the woods then in my NYC apartment. In fact, I have a head cold right now, and I'd love to be curled up in my sleeping bag in the woods right now. But, I never put others at risk, I go heal by myself. Gee- I can just imagine the heat I'am going to get from posting this.

But- it is always better to be safe then sorry. As it has been stated - better safe then sorry. I have turned back from a mountain or two, whether because of my heath, a companions or the weather and I have never regretted it. The mountain will always be there.

I have hiked with colds before and burned them out of my system, I would say that the Flu would be different and I would stay home with that. I have hiked with hangovers as well ( thats no excuse ) Once after quite a night in Conway I went up to do the Willey range. I felt like death so I didnt eat or drink, just started hiking. THe snow was deep and the ascent up Willey was brutal, when I arrived at the summit, I was so thirsty and hungry I reached into my pack and found nothing, I had forgotten both food and water. I thought it would be easier to bag Field then run down the Avalon trail ( peakbaggers think like this) so off I went, within minutes I was breaking trail in deep snow uhggggg. I made it to Field and guess what the Avalon trail wasnt broken out either. At this point IM done, but my desire for water and food spurs me on. I reach the road many hours later, do the roadwalk to my car. I had gone 15 hrs on 16oz of coffea, training is beautifull.

I plan and lead a 2 week trip in the Rockies yearly. Last Summer we were in Rocky Mtn N.P., at els of 11 to 13.5k. I'd spent the better part of a few weeks figuring meals, water availability, escape routes, etc., and we had myself and the SO flying out, meeting up with 4 others, and starting. Two days prior to departure I come down with what I'm certain is bronchitis. :( :mad: Go to the walk-in clinic the day before, and I've got bronchitis, an upper respiratory infection, and a sinus infection (some kinda hat trick, huh!). Was prescribed 500mg. of Biaxin (IIRC it was 2x/day, but might've been only once....was still more than enough, either way).

So we fly in to Denver, spend a day at my brothers to begin acclimatizing, and start the next day. I've never been in such a bad way on the trail, and was really second guessing my decision. I was so weak setting up camp was terribly laborsome, and was worried about my strength in the event of an accident (as I never guide people to a locale I'm not 100% I can get them back out of...this facet of the trip really plagued me, and I broke down on a quiet section of the trail for a few mins, away from the eyes and ears of those I was with). The first 2-3 days were uber-tough, but the antibiotic started to take effect and I was 80% for the remainder, and we all had a great time. I honestly think I'd have been better off staying home that trip, but then I'd have missed out on some great memories/times with loved ones that I'll always cherish. :)

Depends

I have cancelled a days hiking due to hotspots from the previous day, but even then I was 1/10 of a mile onto the trail before I made the "final" decision". Only timed I've hiked sick was Garfield back in january. Didnt know I was sick till I got out there.

If you've been paying attention you having seen a lick of trip reporting from me since! I think it rattled me harder than I thought. :(