Exercise/Nutrition routines for Backpacking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nutrition

i'm big into the protein shakes(Ive had one as my dinner more nights than I haven't in the last two years)

I usually use two scoops(40 grams) pure whey or whey/cassein, two scoops, a can of pineapple, and 8oz of soy or skim milk, and a teaspoon of glutamine. I also usually have a protein bar during the afternoon at work.

as far as weekday excercise, I usually lift weights 3-4 nights a week, run most days at lunchtime, and either bike, blade or do the cardio machines at the gym after work, I also like to do a weeknight hike once a week or so, at the state park nearby, seems to keep me in shape for the weekend long dayhikes/backpack trips in the Whites.

I just started adding a night hike each week to my schedule. Hiking with a headlamp is really different. There's a nice three mile circle hike not far from my home that has a nice up/down hill section and a small stream at the bottom. The rocks aren't too bad either. Beats staring at the tube for contless hours watching nothing.

hockeycrew said:
My favorite training for hiking... Harvard Stadium.

I use to train at Yale Bowl. I would hike to the concession stands to by a towel to dry the tears from my eyes. I since have stopped caring about Ivey League football and the world is a better place.

I don't know if this really applies to this thread but here it goes. I found this suppliment at GNC called Thermo Burst-it increases energy, and metabolism. Take two to three 1 hour before your excersize (hike) and it really does supply you with energy as well as doubling the calories you burn.

Just a thought for those of us who would like to burn off a couple extra pounds while we hike-so we can put it right back during the after hike dinner.