Fiddlehead (Ostrich Fern) Toxicity?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps so, but the speed of our reaction--3 hours after eating--suggests plant toxin or some other contaminant, not bacteria or virus. I strongly suspect that these store-bought fiddleheads included some strays that were not ostrich ferns. A longer cooking time than our 5-7 minutes in the microwave probably would have destroyed the toxicity.

Even if the ferns were all the correct type of fiddleheads, and were not contaminated by salmonella or some other bacteria or virus, there is another possiblity:

Many plants can be occasionally "contaminated" by the presence of fungal organisms which produce mycotoxins. Examples are ergot and aflatoxin. There may be an unknown mycotoxin producing fungal organism that is sometimes present on fiddleheads, and there isn't enough data yet to identify it.

Fitz said:
Well, that could be the case too, but I was thinking more along the lines of sewage. In urban areas and some not so urban areas, heavy spring rains can lead to overflow of combined sewers and sometimes treatment plants can't handle the flow or have accidental releases of untreated sewage. This ends up in our rivers and wetlands. Also there is the issue of agricultural fields - spreading of manure this time of year, and grazing livestock are sources of coliform bacteria.
Fitz, after reading what Waumbeck wrote his reaction time was within 3 hrs of eatinmg them It is more likely some type of toxin in the plant . It could be naturally occuring and some of the Fiddleheads were not fiddleheads, or sometinh in the water or soil that the plants . Alot of what is in the soil and water that the plant uses to grow will be in the plant. I am not sure If I mentioned this But the Sap from the maples with very unusual growth patterns was a pruple color and the steam that feeds into the swampy area is near a landfill betten known as a "dump" I was cutting in there earlier today and looked around thanks ot this thread f I found some antifreeze containers that had what appeared to be old anti freeze in it some gallon containers with old oil in it . something that looked like used up grease from cooking foods, Rusted things and a engine block !
I put all but the engine blok in the Bucket of te Bobcatt and brought them to the "dump' where ther took care of them I them removed the engine block with the Bobcat and a chain along with help from the transfer sataion .
I am sure that if some one looks around in a forested area in New England enough you will find all sorts of things . some not so good . Now If only i could find something rare and worth lots .
I wonder if we will have a thread on mushrooms like this or will the postes have had a different experince . :eek:. More on the lines of my pain killer experince after my last injury :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I ate a *ton* of fiddleheads last night and feel fine. I par-boiled them for 5 minutes then sauteed them in olive oil with garlic and pepper.

Interestingly enough, Whole Foods had a notice up stating that fiddleheads have to be fully cooked before eaten. Stop & Shop did not.