Flashlight question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
I saw a self charging flashlight for sale and was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this. The manufacturer said- one minute of cranking = 1 hour of light. The flashlight was by Burton and I saw it in the llBean catalogue.

Any info would be helpful- thanks.

Last edited:
The flashlight is a generator (movable magnet and fixed coil), a charge storage capacitor, and an LED.

I read a report--dim light, have to shake it fairly often. The reporter wasn't impressed, IIRC. Sorry, don't remember where i read it--perhaps rec.backcountry?

Doug

whaja say your favorite flashlight was and why? cant remember what you said after all those carbs at the party.

DougPaul, I think he's talking about a different flashlight. The one you're thinking of needs to be shaken, whereas he's talking about a smaller one you hand crank.

I was at Bean's 3 nights ago, stopped in after the M&G in Portland, and noticed it. I think it said 1 minute of cranking = 30 minutes of light, but I could be mistaken. It was small, fairly lightweight, and cranked easily. I couldn't really see a lot of light in the store, but it was bright inside. I have a couple of their hand crank radio's, and while they worked well when new, they only last about 10 minutes now. It might be nice to have one around the house or camp, but I wouldn't take it hiking, too heavy.

Lawn Sale said:
DougPaul, I think he's talking about a different flashlight. The one you're thinking of needs to be shaken, whereas he's talking about a smaller one you hand crank.
Thanks--you are correct. The one that I was referring to is available from REI. Wasn't aware of the crank version. Presumably the priciples would be similar, but cranking is probably a more efficient way of generating electrical power than shaking.

Re crank radios:
I think some of the hand-crank (Replay) radios use a NiCad or NiMH cell to store power. (Some of them also include a solar charger.) Such cells degrade in time. And they probably don't get the best treatment in such service.

On the other hand, if the crank (flashlight or radio) simply winds a spring which then drives the generator, then it should last until the mechanical parts wear or corrode. Still sounds heavy. Can't tell from the catalog description which mechanism is in the flashlight.

Doug

Last edited:
I just purchased a small one

There was a small one that I purchased at a convience store. It wasn't meant for hiking or anything, but it was very lite. It didn't last long, but I can amagine it being very useful for a ER light source. It charged while on so I guess if you where to need an ER light source and didn't mind shaking it all the time you'd have free, lite wieght light. Not sure how reliable it is or if cold affects it.

My thanks to all who have- and to all who may yet- answer my query.
The flashlight I mentioned is a crank- not shake -one. I had a very bad experience with my headlight once (where in the middle of a late night bushwhack I needed to replace my old batteries with fresh ones only to discover that the replacement batteries I had just purchased were duds) and I now dream of a flashlight that is not wholey dependent on batteries. I don't mind the extra weight if I can have peace of mind when hiking at night.

Hey Woodstrider, I'm a little slow seeing your thread but I have one of those flashlights. Got it at Bean's in Freeport in July of this year. It has three LED bulbs. You can set it to one on or three on or off. A little handle like a windshield crank unfolds and you crank it for a mintue. It gives a good beam of light. I'm not sure you'd get an hour of bright light out of a cranking but you'd get light that long and of course ya pull the handle out and crank it again. It has a lithium battery that I guess you are actually charging with the cranking. It s very light and fits easily into the palm of your hand. The crank has a little knob on the end that tucks into the flashlight only one way securing it closed. I usually toss it in my pack and then lay it by me when I sleep at night to provide a ready quick light. I can't say I've used it extensively but if I crank it at the beginning of the weekend, its good for the weekend. I would think it would throw off as much light as my Princeton Tec Aurora at any rate. Be plenty bright to hike by and just crank it if its beam gets dull. Doesn't take much of a crank to get it going good. I think it was $19 and change. I think after a couple years you have to replace the battery you are recharging with the cranking. Its buried in my pack somehwere or I'd try and give you better specs on its size. Its probably 3 inches long and easily fits in your hand. Its silver. Good little gizmo in my opinion. Its nice to have a light that you don't have to worry about the batteries. Hope that helps ya.