For you canister stove users...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David Metsky said:
I've never had an MSR XGK fail to light or work like the blowtorch that it is. I've used them down to -20 F and I've never seen another stove melt snow like that workhorse. You can't hold a conversation within 20 feet of it, but I can talk once I have my water. :)

There is absolutely no need to carry something like that in summer, but in winter it's a godsend.

-dave-
I used the the XGK multiple times at -40 F without problems. Two of these babies side by side (needs a custom pot stand) will melt snow for large groups like you cannot even believe. You can set a 6 quart pot on top of it and start pouring snow in it from a garbage bag. Who cares about the noise it certainly keeps the bears away!

One reason why I generally like my Superfly is that I can light it off in the morning and not worry that I am disturbing anyone. I remember one multiday trip where I was hiking with an acquaintance who thought nothing of light off his DC-9 stove at 5:00am and subsequently waking up everyone in camp. No apology was forthcoming on his part.

Is time a factor when you light off your white gas stoves in the morning, or is that even an issue? I’m not suggesting that people with white gas stoves are ill-mannered; I’m just wondering what factor determines when you will light your stove in the morning?

I just replaced my old bent, dented, Peak1 stove. Still worked after accidently dropping a boulder on it, but after 15yrs, it was time to let it go. After minutes of exhausting research, I bought a new Peak1 from Campmor. Can't beat the price, sturdy construction, and great heat output. Ok, so it's a little heavy, but my backpack has a worn bulge in its side pocket that fits it just right!

Edit: I generally don't use it in the AM, a Pop Tart and a Coke is my normal breakfast.

Last edited:
MadRiver said:
I remember one multiday trip where I was hiking with an acquaintance who thought nothing of light off his DC-9 stove at 5:00am and subsequently waking up everyone in camp. No apology was forthcoming on his part.

The MSR dragonflies are certainly ear-plug-worthy, but the whistperlites are pretty quiet. I've never heard a complaint about their level of noise.

As far as keeping the stoves clean- I am aware of the shaker jet, and have taken several completely apart, cleaned everything, put them back together (correctly), and still gotten meager results. In contrast, my brand new one, of course, works great. I think the upshot is that some of the stoves I've tried to get to work, are just beyond repair. Although it really seems like there should be a way to fix them, I think they've just seen too much abuse. I could be wrong.

My point with the homeade alcohol stove is that it's EXTREMELY reliable. It's not as efficient as others, but short of not having any fuel, it will ALWAYS work, and weighs almost nothing. Below about 10F you need to hold a lighter or match just above the alcohol for a few seconds to "warm it up" before it will light.

Sleeping Bear, I went the whole pepsi can stove way back around 99-00 and did it since (along with esbits and my old trangia) in warm weather, giving my trusty whisperlite a nice break in warm weather.

While the Pepsi stove works great - especially when traveling/flying somewhere, I really wanted to get back to a faster stove that was still much lighter than my Whisperlight. I decided to finally get the Pocket Rocket.
Much as I like the Pepsi Can stove, I think I was getting bored and needed a change-up!!!

sleeping bear said:
My point with the homeade alcohol stove is that it's EXTREMELY reliable. It's not as efficient as others, but short of not having any fuel, it will ALWAYS work, and weighs almost nothing. Below about 10F you need to hold a lighter or match just above the alcohol for a few seconds to "warm it up" before it will light.
According to a survey that I read a while ago, alcohol stoves are the most reliable. (The advantage of no moving parts and no small orifaces to clog.) However, I don't know if the survey took into account the risk of the soda can versions being crushed or blown away in a good gust of wind... :) From what I have read, the soda can versions also wear out--the aluminum just can't take the heat for too long. The trangias solve both problems at the cost of a few ounces.

Now if they just put out more heat, burned longer, had a higher fuel energy to weight ratio, and were controlable...

BTW, alcohol is used to prime kerosene stoves.

Doug