Ford, Hop or Bridge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Like most New England hikers, perhaps, I have been going about my business hiking both on and off trails for a few years, and I generally aim to keep my feet dry. Most of our established trails have fine bridges or rock hops, and it's just on some particularly rainy spring weekend or in the case of a missing bridge that things may get a little exciting.

Blue's recent thread on fording the Gale River got me thinking. Then I foolishly embarked on a 56 mile very rainy AT hike in the middle of Maine last weekend. Of course on the Maine AT, fording is de rigeur.

So, now I've come to consider river fording just another in a series of unique experiences or skills that one picks up along the path, hiking in New England. It can be cold and wet and maybe a little dangerous, but it's also a lot of fun. Call me naive, but it took me until now to really get my feet wet, so to speak.

Last edited:
Fording streams is one of, maybe the main reason I am switching over to sport sandals. Once you soak through your boots, your stuck with them. With the sandals I don't need to pick out a line of rocks. Just splash on through, Baby!

'Cuse Me....

thar Tramper Al, what the hellapallozza do you have that canoe for?...spring is for paddling, and fall is for fording... :D

Kidding...sort of..

trail runners with mesh

Back when I hiked in traditional full leather boots (Fabiano's) I spent a lot of time & effort trying to keep my feet dry. Once my boots and thick socks finally got wet, they stayed that way till I got home. I tried real hard to avoid this.
A number of years ago I retired my boots and made the switch to trail runners. Well actually, light weight trail runners with lotsa ventilation. With them I also switched to thin nylon socks. I no longer worry about getting my feet wet. Water crossings are way easier now, just walk thru if I can't rock hop! On a nice day the sneaks/socks dry out in no time. I know this all sounds 'wrong', but, it works for me. My feet have never been so free! (or dry, or happy). YMMV.

I don't mind fording when the streambed is flat or the water level not too high. It's raging current on a steep that scares me - a place where if you start going, you're not going to stop. I don't mind getting wet, as long as I'm not risking my life.

Fitz said:
thar Tramper Al, what the hellapallozza do you have that canoe for?...spring is for paddling, and fall is for fording... :D
Kidding...sort of..
Fair enough. When hiking through water, I often do find myself asking what am I doing up this creek without a boat. I try to spread out both my hiking and my paddling as year 'round as I can, though.

MichaelJ said:
I don't mind fording when the streambed is flat or the water level not too high. It's raging current on a steep that scares me - a place where if you start going, you're not going to stop. I don't mind getting wet, as long as I'm not risking my life.
Well, I don't think I'm a big risk-taker either.

But I do enjoy walking a fairly steep snowfield knowing I might have to use my axe to arrest a fall, skiing down through the trees when I'm not always in absolute control, canoeing a big lake and making marginal progress against a stiff headwind, and fording swift cold waters as they start to push my legs around a little bit. Just a little thrill once in a while, I think.

Last edited:
"hhmmmm I could either wade across or take a row boat. Row vs Wade. It is my right to choose."
Homer Simpson

Al: I totally agree. I was with alpinista last year and we reached Lincoln Brook on the return. She took took tentative steps, trying to stay out of the water, slipped, then happily sloshed her way across the stream. We sat while she emoved her shoes, dried her socks, then took off down the trail. A nice little stop on a great day of hiking.

onestep: I've noticed the same since I switched also. It's a great feeling to walk your shoes dry.

MichaelJ: point well taken. Though it is such a rush when you are one step from being safely on the other side.

You can get either paddling shoes (shoelace less, just slip on) or as you mentioned sandels to Chevy.. I mean Ford.. across streams. They double good as camp shoes too anyway so it has multiple uses.

Doing that in Alaska and where you have braided rivers, it's nice to have... The water is always cccoooolllddddd...

Jay