Franconia Loop 04-15-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

My sister and I are planning on hiking Franconia Loop this Friday via Falling Waters and OBP. We are planning to be at Lafayette Place around 8:30 or so if anyone is interested in joining us. Looks like it's going to be a nice day!

-MEB

MEB said:
Hi All,

My sister and I are planning on hiking Franconia Loop this Friday via Falling Waters and OBP. We are planning to be at Lafayette Place around 8:30 or so if anyone is interested in joining us. Looks like it's going to be a nice day!

-MEB
I was thinking of trying to scrub some ride off you by meeting you on Lafayette. But do I really want to go across The Garfield Ridge Trail -- the whole thing? By myself in rotten snow conditions? Plus, the hike I have in mind is like 23 miles, 7500'. Hmmmm....

I still want to do Garfield and West Bond (and Zeacliff), but maybe there's some way I can incorporate Lafayette in as well. What is wrong with me?

-Dr. Wu

Suggestion

Hey Dr_wu. Why don't you go up Garfield from the usual route, and then follow the ridge over to Lafayette to meet MEB and her crew coming up from Falling Waters. Then you can catch a ride back to your vehicle with them. I am trying to get things scheduled to join MEB and her sib on their hillwalk.

TomW

Hey Dr_wu. Why don't you go up Garfield from the usual route, and then follow the ridge over to Lafayette to meet MEB and her crew coming up from Falling Waters.

Just my $.02.

If by usual route you mean Garfield Trail to the GRT (to Lafayette), I might re-think this option, especially if trying to meet up with people at a certain time.

Been my experience that being on the north side this section keeps snow well into May in some years. Also, and I would have to read through some trip reports, but the GRT, does not get much traffic in the winter months as oppose to other connector trails, so the level of it being tramped out could be low. Plus the fact I for one have a love/hate relationship with all the up/downs on that particular stretch of trail.

But hey man, like I said just my $.02. You know more about yourself than I do. Love to join you...but much like the Beatles, I have a date with the tax man on the 15th. :(

Peace.

Dalraida said:
Hey Dr_wu. Why don't you go up Garfield from the usual route, and then follow the ridge over to Lafayette to meet MEB and her crew coming up from Falling Waters. Then you can catch a ride back to your vehicle with them. I am trying to get things scheduled to join MEB and her sib on their hillwalk.

TomW
I'm considering going Gale River to South Twin and then over to Garfield and then Lafayette. The only problem is that I've never been on the Garfield Ridge Trail between Garfield and Lafayette. How difficult is it to follow the trail in this section -- I doubt it's received much traffic at all recently. Also, we'd have to coordinate the meeting time on Lafayette. I'm planning on leaving pretty early.

Still have a day to talk about it...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Jaytrek57 said:
Just my $.02.

If by usual route you mean Garfield Trail to the GRT (to Lafayette), I might re-think this option, especially if trying to meet up with people at a certain time.
Yeah! I agree. But, meeting up with Dalraida and MEB is a bit hard to pass up. Here is the place to start: http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/2960.html -- The obvious choice. However, if I give myself 4 hours, I think I should be able to make it by 12:30pm, about when The Gang should be arriving at Lafayette if they start at 8:30am. I'll bring my Swiss Bobsled, but in this kind of snow it has a lot of trouble going up hill.

EDIT: I mean Garfield to Lafayette in 4 hours. I've forgotten about South Twin at this point.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Dr. WU.

I noticed it was Frodo/Stinkyfeet and Post'r. That crew can flat out, flat out...if you know what I mean.

Best of luck and be safe.

Peace.

Kevin Rooney said:
Dr. Wu -

Am having a hard time taking you seriously.
Don't worry -- me too. But you must know what it's like to want to do two things at the same time! I'll probably forget about South Twin (and West Bond and Hawthorne Falls and North Twin and a full Pemi Loop) on Friday and just do Garfield and Lafayette. In the summertime adding South Twin would be easy but not in all that snow. DAMMIT! If I could hike every mountain in NH on Friday I would...

I have Monday off so maybe I'll go do South Twin and West Bond (and North Twin and The Willey Range and Jefferson and Camel's Hump and Giant and The Torngats.................... ) then.

Kevin Rooney said:
Like maybe the day before?! Good luck, Dr. Wu.
:eek:

:mad: GRRRRR! I have one of these though!

:p

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
However, if I give myself 4 hours, I think I should be able to make it by 12:30pm,

God bless man. Booktime is close to 7 hours, not even factoring in conditions (snow/routefinding, etc.).

But like I said, you know yourself better. Can't wait to hear about it, sounds like an adventure. :cool:

Peace.

Jaytrek57 said:
God bless man. Booktime is close to 7 hours, not even factoring in conditions (snow/routefinding, etc.).
:eek: 4 hours from Garfield to Lafayette.

See what you started, Tom! :p

Mary Ellen: I'll try to be at Lafayette, in one piece and still sane, by 1:00pm. Does that work for you? Don't wait up for me.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I have Monday off so maybe I'll go do South Twin and West Bond (and North Twin and The Willey Range and Jefferson and Camel's Hump and Giant and The Torngats.................... ) then.

:eek:

-Dr. Wu

I am rather shocked you are not considering Kathadin and the Hamlin peak if you are going to get the Torngats in this weekend. I mean, like, they are kind of on the way. :D

Oh my GOD!!! I am almost a senior member...I am not worthy! :p

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
... In the summertime adding South Twin would be easy but not in all that snow...-Dr. Wu
Guess again my friend. Garfield Ridge is the reigning king (or Queen) of PUDS (pointless ups and downs). It will certainly take you a shade longer than you expect.

For Garfield to Lafayette, you'll hit deep snow on the upslope to Lafayette. For sure. Bring the big shoes ;) Leave early.

As for Frodo and StinkyFeet: they hold the "unofficial" winter peakbag record for the winter 48: 10 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes during consecutive calendar days. Post'rBoy is just who he is: one of the fastest hikers I've ever had the plasure to catch a breeze from as he passes me :)

Stop Bothering Dr. Wu

If anyone else wants to throw some more tomatoes, the floor is open for you -- but Doctor Wu has already left the house.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Mt. Lincoln Slide

Hi MEB,
I would be curious to know how much snow remians on the slide path between Lincoln and Lafeyette if you think to peek on your way by. Weather should be grand. Enjoy!