Franconia Ridge, August 30th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
The forecast was for higher summits to be in the clouds under cloudy skies so I planned to stay lower and inside, but it looked like it would be nice for alpine zone hiking...so...

saw this just in time to avoid wearing it in the face...

004aaa.jpg

Cloudland Falls had plenty of water from the storm...

029aaa-2.jpg

Weather was great...view to Mt. Lincoln from Little Haystack...

039aaa-1.jpg

No crowds, just a few scattered folks to chat with and plenty of solitude on this beautiful ridge...

050aaa.jpg

a few rattllesnake root blossoms still around...

075aaa.jpg

Met a nice Forest Service volunteer steward.

The clouds looked threatening a few times but only added to the beauty of the sky all day...

069aaa.jpg

little alpine flora gang...

055aaa-2.jpg

meadowsweet...

059aaa-2.jpg

064aaa.jpg

Lincon Slide...

071aaa.jpg

looking west from the western slopes of Mt. Lafayette...

089aaa.jpg

Near the bottom there's lots of hobblebush so I explored around and found some old roads and lots of fresh moose sign. I saw no moose but this nice little flower caught my eye...

016aaa-1.jpg

continued...

I got lucky on the way home and saw a mama moose and calf cross the Kancamagus at sunset. I was already muddy and bloody so following through swamp was enjoyable.

It was the same two I've seen many times since the calf was a new-born. I named him Kezossa, which means "too fast" in Abenaki.

278aaa.jpg

191aaa.jpg

He's really gotten beefy, and his coat has darkened to an adult color.

227aaa.jpg

232aaa.jpg

After some thick swamp we emerged in an old feild. The light was fading as Sun dipped lower beneath the horizon, but it was a very special experience in the forest...

146aaa.jpg

140aaa-1.jpg

happy trails :)

Simply stunning, Patrick!

It’s difficult to choose a favorite photo, but if forced to select only one, I guess it would be the 4th photo. (The one preceded by the words: “No crowds, just a few scattered folks to chat with and plenty of solitude on this beautiful ridge . . .”)

Gorgeous photos as always. My favorite is the one of the spider and its web. I HAVE worn quite a few of those on the face...never a great feeling!

Stunning as always, Patrick! Glad you got to see a moose! I love the Cloudland Falls photo! :)