From Monday's Globe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
The Appalachian Mountain Club, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and the Harvard School for Public Health have studied the impact of air quality on hiker health. Their research shows that increased ozone levels impair lung function of healthy adult hikers -- even when those levels are at what the EPA says is ''acceptable."

From an Op/Ed piece in this mornings Globe. It's not haze we're peering thru at the summit -- it's polution. Here's a link to the entire article, worth a read.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...03/unhealthy_haze_over_northeasts_wilderness/

air quality

We were staying at Madison Hut last week and the resident naturalist supplied us with the testing card and record sheet. All the huts and pinkham are equipped with the supplies, they will also mail you the supplies by request. It's a great learning tool for kids and hopefully will create some awareness to this problem.

kmac said:
We were staying at Madison Hut last week and the resident naturalist supplied us with the testing card and record sheet. All the huts and pinkham are equipped with the supplies, they will also mail you the supplies by request. It's a great learning tool for kids and hopefully will create some awareness to this problem.

You said "testing card" and that they would mail it to use if requested. What exactly is the testing kit and how can I obtain it? I work with children and would like to use it in a enviromental program I'm running.

dentonfabrics said:
The Appalachian Mountain Club, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and the Harvard School for Public Health have studied the impact of air quality on hiker health. Their research shows that increased ozone levels impair lung function of healthy adult hikers -- even when those levels are at what the EPA says is ''acceptable."

From an Op/Ed piece in this mornings Globe. It's not haze we're peering thru at the summit -- it's polution. Here's a link to the entire article, worth a read.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...03/unhealthy_haze_over_northeasts_wilderness/

Amazing and yet , I'm not surprised. The air is simply not as clean or pure as when I started hiking many years ago...Thanks for sharing!

BrentD22 said:
You said "testing card" and that they would mail it to use if requested. What exactly is the testing kit and how can I obtain it? I work with children and would like to use it in a enviromental program I'm running.

It's the AMC VizVols program. Here's the earlier thread on it with a link to the info:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7245&referrerid=0

I am amazed that the EPA is so willing to give such a trade off rather than stopping the problem.

It really goes to show that the powers-at-be truly are blind folded by the money so many giant industires give to them