Full-zip Fleece Pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
The full-zip fleece pant, it's a dying breed, yet it is an almost essential safety item for backcountry travelers in the fall and winter. In my search for them, I turned up the Col d'Lizard version, which is not only affordable, but also handmade in Stowe, Vermont.

I bought a pair of full-zip fleece pants several years ago at a "major" retailer's location in Anchorage (that I will not name, mostly because my spouse dislikes them intensely for various good reasons.) They were on clearance -- I paid less than $10.00. What they were doing in this establishment, I have no idea. I've checked from time to time since this serendipity, but I have not seen anything resembling this kind of outdoor clothing at their locations since then.

Moral of the story: Bargains are where you find them. Keep your eyes open and "dream the impossible dream."

Are you wearing the fleece as your pants, on the outside ? I carry fleece pants, but they're more to sleep in, and wouldn't need the full zip. But good on you for finding them. I know that can be difficult.

Are you wearing the fleece as your pants, on the outside ? I carry fleece pants, but they're more to sleep in, and wouldn't need the full zip. But good on you for finding them. I know that can be difficult.

Mostly to sleep in and while hanging out in camp. Very, very rarely, if conditions are cold enough, as an additional layer between my polypros/thermal underwear and my goretex snow pants. Never as an outside layer while hiking. :)

I got a pair from campmor but can't find them on-line now. They were a bit heavy. At the end of the day I could zip them on over my pants to stay warm when not moving around in camp much andor sleep in them.

I've used patagonia micropuff pants w side zip. They're much lighter and act as a great outerlayer for those sub zero camps.

I've got the same thing. Personally I don't think regular fleece is any good for winter activities, it is heavy, doesn't stop the wind, and doesn't pack well.

OTOH, with a pair of cheap fleece pants from a normal dept store, two 30-34" zippers, a pair of scissors and a sewing machine one could make a pair of full zip fleece pants (that may not be pretty) in less than 2 hours.

Yeah, I was curious why fleece pants are near essentials. Fleece has kind of lost it's luster. I LOVE the Patagonia puff clothes. Those with some gore-tex bibs at night are all you need. When hiking, I wear lightweight pants and the bibs over them.

However...getting anything in full zip is nice. The zips are drafty, however, but they are a helluva easier getting on and off. At least a knee-high zip to get them over the boots is key.

Another alternative

I love my Marmot Driclime full zip pants! :cool: They are light, comfy, warm and breathable, just like the Driclime Windshirts: http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/active/driclime_side_zip_pant/

You can probably find good deals on line. I got mine for $50.00.

Their only drawback is that they have one pocket. I work around that by either using a fanny pack or wearing a pair of pocketed gym shorts underneath the pants.

Marty

I love my Marmot Driclime full zip pants! :cool: They are light, comfy, warm and breathable, just like the Driclime Windshirts: http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/active/driclime_side_zip_pant/

You can probably find good deals on line. I got mine for $50.00.

Their only drawback is that they have one pocket. I work around that by either using a fanny pack or wearing a pair of pocketed gym shorts underneath the pants.

Marty

Thanks for the tip. I'm a big fan of their Windshirt, and didn't realize they made a pant version as well.

Latest posts