FYI: Spring turkey season has started in WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Spring turkey season started this week. The only area in No. NH closed to turkey hunting is WMU-A, which is north of Rt. 2 in the Colebrook area. The Franconia area (D) is open all month; further east in the Pinkham area (C), the season is limited to two weeks. I noticed a number of turkey hunters (shotgun) in the lowland areas on Rts. 3 (Twin Mtn.), 112, and 116 this week. (Note the noon limit.)

May 3 to May 31: WMUs D1, D2, E, F, G, H1, H2, I1, I2, J1, J2, K, L, M
May 3 to May 17: WMUs B, C1, C2
Areas CLOSED to Wild Turkey Hunting: WMU A
Limit: One male or bearded turkey
Hunting Hours: 1/2 hour before sunrise to 12 noon.
Legal methods: Archery or shotgun (10, 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun using 2, 4, 5 or 6 size shot)

It's a good idea to incorporate some blaze orange into your backpack or dress, anytime of the year.
I have a blaze orange balaclava I fit over my pad.
If I need it, it's there.

Orange is a good idea. Also, any hunter is requiered to be at least 100 feet from an active trail, so anyone closer is in violation. We are only allowed to hunt till noon as well. If you do not want to wear orange try to avoid clothing that has patches of red blue or white (the colors a male turkeys head can be during the mating season.) Obviously large portions of clothing (like a jacket) are not too bad, but just be aware that not all hunters are as safe (or sane) as I am :D
Brian

Hey, Gris, I sure enjoyed your turkey pix. Was that a heron of some kind perched in the background of the turkey-in-flight photo?

My office has a bank of low windows along the back side of the house. While working one day not long ago, I got the strange feeling that I was being watched. So I turned around and there was a turkey peering in the wndow at me. It looked for all the world like E.T.. We gaped at one another for a bit, then I moved and the turkey walked away.

I enjoy the males (toms) as they do their puffed-up-fanned-out-bright-red-head spring mating dance thing in our back yard. The females’ reaction to all that puffing and strutting can be pretty nonchalant. It reminds me of college days long ago, when I often played the role of the frustrated but hopeful guy turkey in the presence of rather exciting coed hens.

G.

Grumpy said:
Hey, Gris, I sure enjoyed your turkey pix. Was that a heron of some kind perched in the background of the turkey-in-flight photo?
G.
It looks like another turkey waiting to cross, it's too squat for a heron.
I thought it might be a huge woodcock, at first, with that bill - but then decided that was a shadow,
and not part of the bird. Great photo.
Every neighborhood here has it's own local flock. We've had a young outcast jake in the yard several evenings,
but my 12 year old pound puppy would never tolerate a flock - geese are not even allowed to fly OVER the yard. ;)

I guess it's all relative. We have turkeys wobbling through the fields around the house or crossing the road most days. We equate turkeys to our version of pigeons in the city.

Was that a heron of some kind perched in the background

Not sure, could have been, didn't really notice it at the time. We have quite a few different types of herons that frequent our pond. Some BIG and some smaller. :D :D :D

ps - JohnL - WOW great turkey pics & isn't it cool how diff yer northern species is from our southern variety.

Last edited:
Excellent pictures indeed! Ive talked to a bunch of people who think these birds are ugly as sin. I think quite the opposite. They are rather beautiful birds, especially in the spring when the males heads turn the colors of our flag! They seem like an interesting mix between a prehistoric dinosaur with colors of modern day songbirds!
Brian

The noble turkey almost became our national bird, had Ben Franklin had his way. Glad it worked out the way it did, or we'd have turkeys clogging the highways and Thanksgiving eagle doesn't seem half as appealing.

Is there a link anywhere showing which areas allow hunting and when? Curious to see if there's a map of the designated areas as well.

Oh well... I guess one more thing to worry about is better than yet one more thing I was clueless about...

Waumbec

Don't know how you do it! You always have your finger on the pulse. You are a great source of info. You adda lot to this site.

thankyou

I’ve read that way back when the Anglo’s first came over to this side of the pond, when a flock of turkey took flight they would block out the sun. Pretty intense thought really….a little scary maybe.

I love wild turkeys….they’re delicious. :)

GRIS, nice picture of the green (small) heron.What am I seeing in the water on the far right side of the pic. It looks like a turtle, but what kind?

Gris
That turtles shell is smooth, and nose looks a little to pointed, no way a common snapper. Was that pic taken down south? Soft shell turtle?