Garmin 76CS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sugahjohn said:
I've been thinking about getting a GPS unit for awhile, but I've heard conflicting views on their reception (save for above treeline) and therefore they're ultimate utility in the Whites. (I'm considering getting into winter hiking, so GPS units would seem to have an inherent utility, especially in white-out conditions, however.) Jim, would you say that you've been able to have decent rerception through much of your hikes on the 48--even in the summer under tree cover?

Yes and I have the proof with the Garmin files if someone claims otherwize.

I've saved on all of the hikes through out the Whites during summer full foilage. The antenna I use has better gain,and recieves birds lower on the horizon than stock antennas so losing a signal is impossible it seems.

I'd be, despite the fact that I don't have one at present, if that's okay. I'd like to see how various units perform IRL.

Save your self a lot of time and go a buy a 60CS Garmin and enjoy one of the best all around units.

Happy Hiking