Garmin Mapsource 6.14.1 Released

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
I just downloaded Mapsource MapSource software version 6.14.1 released July 18, 2008. While I didn't notice new features, they've enhanced the map displays. I found this particularly true for the Sierras, less so for New England.

The link to download the upgrade is here. They post a couple of caveats:

# This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT.
# Works with Windows Vista.

Thanks Kevin - downloading it now!

OK - quick look, the detail of Loj Road and South Meadows Rd is much improved. It'll be interesting to see what else they've done.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
A number of people have reported problems with 6.14.1 and have reverted to 6.13.7 (the previous version).

Doug
I'm running 5.4. :eek:
How can I upgrade to 6.13.7? It doesn't seem to be available on Garmin's site.

DougPaul said:
A number of people have reported problems with 6.14.1 and have reverted to 6.13.7 (the previous version).

Doug
Doug -one thing I noticed was a herky-jerkyiness (that's an advanced technical term) when it loads some of the quadrants. But, it does display them eventually. Also, some of the peaks are displayed in rather small print - the file I linked to re: the Owls Head discussion shows "Lincoln Brook" in small print. I played with the font settings, but couldn't find a method to increase it. But, neither of these 'quirks/problems' are show-stoppers for me.

Also might point out that you can adjust the detail - under Views, Map Detail, you can adjust the degree of detail. Handy feature. Not new, but easy to overlook.

Kevin Rooney said:
Doug -one thing I noticed was a herky-jerkyiness (that's an advanced technical term) when it loads some of the quadrants. But, it does display them eventually. Also, some of the peaks are displayed in rather small print - the file I linked to re: the Owls Head discussion shows "Lincoln Brook" in small print. I played with the font settings, but couldn't find a method to increase it. But, neither of these 'quirks/problems' are show-stoppers for me.

Also might point out that you can adjust the detail - under Views, Map Detail, you can adjust the degree of detail. Handy feature. Not new, but easy to overlook.
IIRC, slow refreshes were one of the complaints about 6.14.1. 6.13.7 also has degree of detail in the bar at the top of the window. Much more convenient than having to go through the edit>preferences> menus in the earlier versions.

Doug

Anyone else out there using "Road Trip" which is the Mac version of MapSource (sort of)? Now out of beta and a real release...

6.14.1 still calls Mt. Larcom in the Ossipees "Bow Lake Village" :) , even though it correctly labels Little Larcom. Do they include little howlers like that on purpose, perhaps to discourage copyright infringers?

WinterWarlock said:
Kevin -

Go to Edit-Preferences...on the Display tab is a button to "Change Map Font"

Scott
Thanks, Scott. I tried that. It seemed to work on some mountains/streams/etc, but not on others. Go figure. Hopefully it will be fixed on the next release.

Rick - yes, I think so. I've got the upgrade to Topo 2008. I don't know if it is for the older version. My suggestion is to go to Help->Check for Software Upgrades, and see what happens.

Amicus said:
6.14.1 still calls Mt. Larcom in the Ossipees "Bow Lake Village" , even though it correctly labels Little Larcom. Do they include little howlers like that on purpose, perhaps to discourage copyright infringers?
Mapsource version 6.13.7 and 6.14.1 are versions of the software, not the mapping data. They are upgrades which are useful only if you have bought a Garmin mapping product on CDROM/DVD. The mapping products include both a dataset (eg US Topo 2008) and a copy of the Mapsource software.

Correcting errors on the maps requires a map upgrade, not a software upgrade. Most if not all maps (digital or paper) have errors. The Garmin topos appear to be based upon the USGS DLG topos and labels are often displaced by a short distance.

DLG=Digital Line Graphic

Rick said:
So I might not be following correctly......is this a downloadable upgrade to Mapsource Topo 2008?
As noted above, just an upgrade for the software, not the mapping data.

In case anyone is still not aware of it, Garmin makes upgrades of both their mapping software and their software for their GPS units available on their website free of charge. http://www.garmin.com.

Doug

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
Thanks, Scott. I tried that. It seemed to work on some mountains/streams/etc, but not on others. Go figure. Hopefully it will be fixed on the next release.

Rick - yes, I think so. I've got the upgrade to Topo 2008. I don't know if it is for the older version. My suggestion is to go to Help->Check for Software Upgrades, and see what happens.
The text comes from different subsets of the map data (eg POI with icon, place names) and appears to be treated differently in the software.

POI=point of interest.

My complaint is the POI icons--at some scales, they obliterate much of the map. (In the earlier versions of the software, the POIs were displayed as a blue dot with an optional label. This was much more readable than the current icon crap.) And yes, I'm aware that the size can be adjusted--all sizes are too big, IMO.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Mapsource version 6.13.7 and 6.14.1 are versions of the software, not the mapping data. They are upgrades which are useful only if you have bought a Garmin mapping product on CDROM/DVD. The mapping products include both a dataset (eg US Topo 2008) and a copy of the Mapsource software.

Thanks. I figured I'd be betraying my ignorance as to software, but learned something from your post (no surprise). I did indeed buy and have installed the Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager and their Topo US 2008 (and for good measure, their Topo 24K National Parks, East v.3). After I downloaded that upgrade this morning, the appearance of the page I was looking at in Topo 2008 did change a little.

As to their labeling Larcom Mountain "Bow Lake Village," they didn't get that from any other map I've ever seen, and I've looked at a lot of maps of the Ossipee Range. There is a "Bow Lake Village" in New Hampshire, but it is in Strafford, a good 30 miles or so to the south. (I have also noticed the "displacement for a short distance" you mentioned - that's not what happened here.)

Amicus said:
Thanks. I figured I'd be betraying my ignorance as to software, but learned something from your post (no surprise). I did indeed buy and have installed the Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager and their Topo US 2008 (and for good measure, their Topo 24K National Parks, East v.3). After I downloaded that upgrade this morning, the appearance of the page I was looking at in Topo 2008 did change a little.
I've never installed Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager, so I don't know anything about it. (I bought US Topo with my first GPS and never have needed it.)

If you click on help>about mapsource, it will tell you the current version.

As to their labeling Larcom Mountain "Bow Lake Village," they didn't get that from any other map I've ever seen, and I've looked at a lot of maps of the Ossipee Range. There is a "Bow Lake Village" in New Hampshire, but it is in Strafford, a good 30 miles or so to the south.
I have no idea whether it is an accident or intentional. Have you checked to see if there is a label for Bow Lake Village near the real village?

Doug

DougPaul said:
Have you checked to see if there is a label for Bow Lake Village near the real village?

I had not, but just did. The real Bow Lake Village is at the east end of Bow Lake. Topo 2008 labels the Lake "Bow Lake" (twice, for good measure) and also labels the Village "Bow Lake." I guess we may never know why Garmin migrated the Village to the summit of Larcom (which is unpopulated - I was up there just a few weeks ago).

DougPaul said:
If you click on help>about mapsource, it will tell you the current version.
I did that too - 6.14.1, so I managed to download that update in spite of myself. (Actually, I knew I must have, because the Topo 2008 page suddenly looked a little different.)

FYI ... Bow Lake Village is still in the right place in City Navigator North America NT v8.

Amicus said:
6.14.1 still calls Mt. Larcom in the Ossipees "Bow Lake Village" :) , even though it correctly labels Little Larcom. Do they include little howlers like that on purpose, perhaps to discourage copyright infringers?

maybe they could have named it "Faraway". :p