Garmin Oregon 550t

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Garmin has added the 550t to its Oregon product line. The ads state that it has 3.2 megapixel camera that "geotags" the photos to a location (direction photo is taken is not mentioned.) The weight of the unit is 6.8 oz.. This would save me 17.8 oz by omitting my camera, 4 spare batterys and heavier 60CSx. Pretty neat, but is it as good as it sounds? Anybody had a chance to see or use the 550t?

Since nobody has replied yet, let me take a stab at it.
Garmin has added the 550t to its Oregon product line. The ads state that it has 3.2 megapixel ...
My GUESS is that the camera is of about the same quality as a cell phone camera, way below the quality of a dedicated camera. Not just a question of megapixels, but optics and controls.

Only you can decide what that means to you.

Since nobody has replied yet, let me take a stab at it.
My GUESS is that the camera is of about the same quality as a cell phone camera, way below the quality of a dedicated camera. Not just a question of megapixels, but optics and controls.
Good point. Maybe the next generation will improve the camera. Maybe the next generation will have an integral beaner/bottle opener too. :D

I'd rather have a high-quality camera with a built-in GPS receiver, than a GPS receiver with a built-in camera. The good camera manufacturers know what they're doing, and the sense I get of Garmin is that the "value" they add to their GPS receiver is the packaging of antenna/battery/screen + software: the GPS receiver chip, which they buy from another manufacturer, does most of the work of signal acquisition, the packaging is pretty good, and their software although OK + better than other mfr's, is not particularly great.

I saw at least one camera, can't remember the brand, it was a decent Japanese brand, maybe Canon or Nikon, with the ability to receive Bluetooth signals from a dedicated GPS tracking unit (no display/memory or anything, just a battery+antenna+GPS-tracking-chip+Bluetooth output). That would be much better for documenting things in the field, than a GPS receiver w/ camera.

The general informed consensus is that the Oregon line is inferior to the 60CSx as a hiking GPS.

Industry seems to be moving in the direction of a phone/pda/GPS/camera/music-player/everything-else. And probably giving you poorer versions of all compared to single function units...

Gimmick-itis.

Doug

This is why I've been looking for a good sale to pick up a back up 60CSx.
Finding a great hiking GPS is even more difficult to find a running shoe that really works for you. I used to buy sets of new running shoes because Nike, New Balance, etc always changed models.

It is so easy to merge gps tracklog data with pictures (geotagging) using simple and free click and drag programs that to compromise on BOTH the camera and the gps is a lose-lose arrangement.

Perhaps in a few years there will be a multi-functional unit that will be as good as or better than the individual gps's and camera that most of us use today. But, will they lag behind the gps's and cameras that will also be available in the future?

This is why I've been looking for a good sale to pick up a back up 60CSx.
I've also been considering getting a backup 60CSx too...

Finding a great hiking GPS is even more difficult to find a running shoe that really works for you. I used to buy sets of new running shoes because Nike, New Balance, etc always changed models.
Guess who just visited the New Balance Outlet store near BL09 on his way home today...

Doug

It is so easy to merge gps tracklog data with pictures (geotagging) using simple and free click and drag programs that to compromise on BOTH the camera and the gps is a lose-lose arrangement.
Just make sure the clock in your camera is set accurately...

Perhaps in a few years there will be a multi-functional unit that will be as good as or better than the individual gps's and camera that most of us use today. But, will they lag behind the gps's and cameras that will also be available in the future?
Maybe, but there is also a trend to dumbing down single (or limited) function units to feed the mass market. :-( Look, for instance, at the Nuvi line.

Doug

Just make sure the clock in your camera is set accurately...
Not necessary. The program allows you to easily correct for time zone, daylight saving time error or any number of minutes error.

I may be incorrect, but I've read that the new Garmin series doesn't use the SirF chipset that the CSx's have, which is why the new series hasn't caught on with serious GPS users. I believe I've heard that the Oregons don't have the same sensitivity as the CSx chipset. Don't know if thats true or not.

I may be incorrect, but I've read that the new Garmin series doesn't use the SirF chipset that the CSx's have, which is why the new series hasn't caught on with serious GPS users. I believe I've heard that the Oregons don't have the same sensitivity as the CSx chipset. Don't know if thats true or not.
The reports that I have read say that the other "high sensitivity" GPS chipsets have similar performance to the SiRF Star III chipset. (SiRF makes or has made other GPS chipsets too. http://www.sirf.com/ )

The comparisons comparing the Oregons with the 60CSx/60Cx/76CSx/76Cx GPSes preferred the 60 et al GPSes based upon the features.

Also, do you want touch screen electronics in your pack? (Or can you operate it using gloves or mittens?)

Doug

Last edited:
Guess who just visited the New Balance Outlet store near BL09 on his way home today...

Me!

There's a shakeout coming in consumer GPS lines, precipitated by smart phones. Nowadays, every iPhone user and BlackBerry user has the capability to have GPS-driven Google Maps or other directional software right in their hand all the time. Now, admittedly, it's nowhere near as full-featured as a real GPS, but the market it's going to dent is that of the units designed specifically for in-car navigation. Manufacturers are going to lose their impulse or "toy" buyers for these products, because the users already have the functionality. People who seriously drive for a living will still want the real units, but people who just like to get directions once in a while won't bother to make the purchase when their phone can get them there. Once the dust settles, I think we'll see GPS makers taking a more directed approach in their products towards their intended uses.

As an aside, I really love my tiny Amod GPS Logger. It won't help if I need directions or get lost, but just for creating tracks to later put on Google Earth or geotag my photos, it's awesome. That's a good example of an activity-targeted product.

The general informed consensus is that the Oregon line is inferior to the 60CSx as a hiking GPS.

Industry seems to be moving in the direction of a phone/pda/GPS/camera/music-player/everything-else. And probably giving you poorer versions of all compared to single function units...

Gimmick-itis.

Doug

My Oregon worked great on all the NEHH bushwacks. Worked great in my car for any drive to the peaks. Worked great on my kayak in the Long Island Sound this past weekend. Worked great while doing spin class on my bike last winter using the wireless cadence and HR monitors. I was amazed at it's ability to hang onto a signal with total canopy coverage. I looked at the 550 and decided that I like having my good camera along.

The reports that I have read say that the other "high sensitivity" GPS chipsets have similar performance to the SiRF Star III chipset. (SiRF makes or has made other GPS chipsets too. http://www.sirf.com/ )

The comparisons comparing the Oregons with the 60CSx/60Cx/76CSx/76Cx GPSes preferred the 60 et al GPSes based upon the features.

Also, do you want touch screen electronics in your pack? (Or can you operate it using gloves or mittens?)

Doug

Touchscreen concerns - you can lock the screen & the first thing I bought for my Oregon was a Zagg screen protector. I'm glad I did - it's seen some abuse.

My Oregon worked great on all the NEHH bushwacks. Worked great in my car for any drive to the peaks. Worked great on my kayak in the Long Island Sound this past weekend. Worked great while doing spin class on my bike last winter using the wireless cadence and HR monitors. I was amazed at it's ability to hang onto a signal with total canopy coverage.
The Oregon uses a high sensitivity GPS chipset so its ability to maintain signal lock under degraded conditions should be similar to the 60CSx. (The SiRF Star III chipset used in the 60CSx is one of the earlier high-sensitivity chipsets.) The comparison that I read faulted the Oregon on specific features and I found that I agreed with the reviewer's preferences. IIRC the Oregon gains some features and loses some features compared to the 60CSx--the reviewer (and I) felt that there was more loss than gain. It has been a while since I read the comparison so I don't remember the exact details.

The 60CSx has remained in the Garmin line for much longer than many other models. Perhaps there is a reason...

Doug

I understand that the 60csx is highly rated but I wanted one to do everything I mentioned. Under the canopy the accuracy was 15 to 20 ft. That is pretty damn good (and comforting considering how remote I was getting). I believe the 60 is the real deal for geocaching though.

Last edited: