Gimme shelter (and my dogs, too)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Okay gearheads, I need your help. You know who you are, and I know you're out there. I'm looking for a lightweight, foul weather shelter for me and my two all-weather dogs. (One of them is peering at you to left.) Said shelter should also double as an emergency shelter/aid station for a rescuee we may encounter on SAR missions and have to keep warm for a while, until the chopper/litter team/ATV/snowmobile shows up. I basically need a sleeping bag cover and a dry place where I can cook up something quick and simple and/or tend to a rescuee. The dogs need a roof over their heads close by me and not much more. Bug protection is not essential. The shelter should be capable of standing mostly on its own, maybe with the aid of one or two trekking poles.

So far I've found the Crysallis Bivy/Tarp. Does anyone have personal experience with this thing or anything similar? If so, will it stand up to snow and wind if properly rigged? Am I Megamid-bound?

I already have a couple of tarps, plus a six pound, two person, four season tent, plus a nine pound, three person, four season tent. The dogs love the big tent, but they don't carry it. Not to mention my wife's three person tent and the "family" tent in the basement. See, I do know something about being a gearhead .......

I would go with a megamid type structure and a bivy for yourself. More flexible than the Crysallis bivy. Dana, integral designs make tarp tents like the mega mid that are worth looking at.

The Crysallis does look interesting and if it was only you and the dogs it may be good, but I don't think that design will block that much wind especially in a sar situation.

If you don't find what you need, send me a custom design, and maybe I can work with you to make what you want. If you use treking poles, it would be great to integrate them with the design.

-percious

I have a Mountain Hardware Megamid and love it. You can use your ski pole with it.
It did blow down recenlty in my yard in high winds but it was not properly staked.
Our Outward Bound leaders used one in MN and it worked. We use ice screws in the ground to stake our cooking tent, tarps and the Mid.
Good luck.

Bothies

In Britain, they use big nylon sacks they call Bothies, which come in different sizes from one-man to at least eight-man. Basically, you cover everyone with the bag, set up a trekking pole or two to hold up the roof, and anchor it with the weight of people or equipment. Body heat reportedly warms them up quickly. In fact, they are most often used for “brew-ups” in heavy weather on British mountains, but are also emergency gear. Some have windows. They are not expensive. Vango, Terra Nova, and KISU are the best-known names. Look at them here:

http://www.outdoorstore.co.uk/products/survivalshelters.asp

http://www.venturesport.co.uk/venturesport_products.asp?catid=11&maincat=1