"Glamping" - Enticing new campers into the woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Reaction score
The ADK Loj has wi-fi. :rolleyes:

"I would not be critical of 'glamping,' " she said. "There's not one right way to reconnect with nature. If some people are resistant and need a cot, that's just fine."

True but I don't like it :( but to each their own unless it infringes on other people rights.

Last edited:
My only question is does the average Glamper somehow believe that once he/she leaves the camping area (whatever that might be) that somehow the amenities and security they enjoyed while in camp miraculously continues to exist? Is so, they might be in for a rude awakening if they find themselves woefully unprepared for some unforeseen calamity.

While not gourmet or high tech, I'd consider our trip up Rainier with IMG "Glamping". Shelter at Muir and tents at Ingraham were provided/set-up and food/fuel/stoves were carried and cooked by our guides. They also knew where they were going and provided an important educational and technical component to the trip. While we still had to hike the hike, I don't think I should have tried this first trip out there on my own.

When I first started hiking in the Whites, I considered hiring a "Guide". Not knowing the trails, trailheads, parking regs, camping regs, bail-out routes, etc can be intimidating.

I'm all for The Glamp, or some scaled-down version, if it safely helps more people get out there.

Last edited:
I think glamping goes way beyond the safety issue and what you did on Rainier is no where near glamping. Unless you saying it was easy. :D

I think glamping goes way beyond the safety issue and what you did on Rainier is no where near glamping. Unless you saying it was easy. :D
Everything we do is "wicked easy" or "insanely hard" to someone out there. Can't we just be happy that more people are getting outdoors?

Little Rickie said:
The ADK Loj has wi-fi. :rolleyes:

All the better to post the High Peak trip reports in near real-time, my dear! ;)

Chip said:
I'm all for The Glamp, or some scaled-down version, if it safely helps more people get out there.

If you think I'm humping your laptop up to the top of Roger's Rock, you are sadly mistaken... :eek:

Everything we do is "wicked easy" or "insanely hard" to someone out there. Can't we just be happy that more people are getting outdoors?

Yup is too simple of an answer. What makes me happy may be different from what makes you happy. If you're happy eating anchovies on your pizza and I'm not so what, good for you . If fact if I hate anchovies, think they're disgusting and can't believe people eat those salty things but it takes nothing away from your enjoyment them why should I be happy if your happy.

I don't think they are outdoors anymore than sitting in a gazebo in their back yards. It's a matter of degree. If glamping makes them happy good for them. It takes nothing from me. I can still not like the sissy thing. :p

Then again if glamping would get my wife to go farther "outdoors" with me then I would be happy if she was happy. :D

To each their own and God bless us all. :)

Last edited:
unplug!

Getting unplugged from the laptop, phone, blackberry, and HDTV is one of the main reasons I venture into the outdoors. If I am ever blessed with kids, I hope to pass that on. In the meantime, no satellite dish for me...that's what DVR is for!

I did a guided backpack through Yellowstone - we carried everything with the guide, but he led, reserved campsites, and cooked. It was a great way to learn and participate as well.

Unless you're saying it was easy. :D

In relative terms, yes. We had no logistics associated with food, camping or route finding to be concerned with. For me, that is what made the trip completely doable. Another time I'd probably do everything myself, and that would add dimensions of risk and satisfaction that I didn't experience. Not that it wasn't a great trip, it was, but planning and executing an "expedition" is a different level of competence. Props to those that do.

I am not too sure I understand the idea of "getting out" if you're simply going to do the exact same thing you do at home sitting on your sofa, but to each their own. The one thing I do dislike is that the charge in these campgrounds are the same for all. This weekend we spent $36 including a new NH tax to stay in an overflow section with our backpacking tent at Franstead Campground in Lincoln. Sure the campground was nice and the people friendly and even our overflow spot was nicer than the normal use spots, but we were without a fire pit, didn't have cable, or phone service, or whatever else would make it luxury. Oh..we DID have a small picinic table. ;) I don't mind all the glam, but how about setting different rates based on your needs? So you want cell service? $10 bucks more! I personally prefer to backpack out to the backcountry myself. I'd like to see these people backpack out those heavy inflatable mattresses and their big piece of porcelain! :eek:

Shades of the tents with private flush toilets on safari in Africa!

This stuff so far is oriented towards roadside camping and I have no problem with it, but I'm reminded of a couple cell phone notes from a few years back. I asked which cell phone provider was best for emergency calls and received only germane replies. Awhile later somebody asked what provider to use to call home from huts and got many negative replies. I don't think this person intended to call home during dinner, but rather that others could see that if calling home from huts became expected behavior then _they_ could no longer become unplugged from home even if that was one purpose of the trip -)

To each her own I suppose.

To me, gettin out into the woods and away from it all is what its about. I don't want to be "plugged in" when I'm out there. But, I suppose some people just haven't found it in themselves to peel away from technology... At least they are outside and finding some value in what nature has to offer, even if it is (in some people's minds, mine included) a techno-polluted view of what that is. We need people to love the outdoors if they are to work to protect it. I guess if they learn to love it with the cell in their pockets, buds in their ears, and laptop in the tent, then so be it, as long as they're willing to work to protect it.

Personally, when it comes to the kids, we've been introducing them to camping in two ways and they know the difference between the two.. They car camp with us with relative luxury (we bring the air mattress and camp chairs and use the fire pits and toilets) and they backcountry camp with us (camping as camping should be :)). The girls enjoy their electronic crap when they're with their dad, but they have yet to even ask for any of it while out in the woods with me. I wish I could say that we see alot of other kids when we're out in the mountains, but the fact of the matter is that we don't. But we do see families out there enjoying "the woods" together at traditional campgrounds (even those with all the bells and whistles) and that's a step in the right direction, IMHO.

The Sacrificial Wage Earner

There's an aspect of available technology that may help more people get outdoors; It's not just kids that need or want to stay connected, it's also the family Wage Earner. I haven't done it much but it is now possible for me to work a regular day, contacting clients and co-workers and being contacted, placing trades, writing/sending reports/proposals, etc anywhere I have good cell and WiFi. Instead of a long weekend in NH or NY, I could easily spend a week... or more. This wouldn't do much for my blood pressure, but the family could be out enjoying themselves the entire time.

people enjoying things is not bad - I am cool with glamping...:D There are some weekends, I would enjoy glamping!! Nice topless chick setting up my tent after a long hike... bring it on... nice business opp there... maybe we do that for mookie's bach party....

I only looked cuz it I thought it was a new urban dictionary term... :eek:

I honestly don't care what folks do to enjoy their time off - just have some fun - life is way too short... nobody is going to say at your funeral - "you glamped; you didn't live life right..." - in fact, I am sure most here noticed when you talk to your non-hiking freinds... they really don't give a crap anyway.... so do what makes ya happy..

Last edited:
What I find funny (and a little odd) is all of the anti-technology-in-the-woods sentiments in this thread, yet Mats Roing's real-time tracking data seems to have piqued lots of interest.

I don't think the members following his track are the same ones eschewing the techie-gear in the back country, but I also notice there weren't any of these anti-technology sentiments regarding his choice to bring the iPhone along (with solar charger) and keeping us armchair enthusiasts informed almost every step of the way.

If Glamping gets more folks into the great outdoors then so be it. Who's to say my way is right or wrong? I was bringing techno-gizmos (ham radio) into the woods long before cellphones were common.

Can't we just be happy that more people are getting outdoors?

No. I'm always glad to hear when reports are published that hiker/backpacker numbers are down.

And, didn't the Watermans essentially debunk--if not debunk, make a good case against--the notion that more people in the outdoors equals more people caring/conserving the outdoors?

Any camping wearing more than a freshly killed bison skin and starting a fire with a stick and sleeping on the cold hard ground is glamping.

Some are just more glamorous than others.