Glen Canyon dreams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems the logistics for getting around Glen Canyon/Lake Powell would be rather tedious unless you use a boat as your home base.

Am I off base thinking that I could rent a powerboat for the week and camp along the shoreline? I haven't started doing the research yet, so if anyone can give me information, good websites, books, best hikes, etc., I'd be grateful.

Thinking maybe Spring of 2008.

No doubt, there is a big marina that rents houseboats and smaller power boats,sorry I do not have the name handy- just google Glen Canyon marinas. Sounds like a great way to hike this area, good luck and have fun :)

audrey said:
It seems the logistics for getting around Glen Canyon/Lake Powell would be rather tedious unless you use a boat as your home base.

Am I off base thinking that I could rent a powerboat for the week and camp along the shoreline? I haven't started doing the research yet, so if anyone can give me information, good websites, books, best hikes, etc., I'd be grateful.
I have heard of people doing same. I believe that houseboat rentals are also popular (if you can stand the decadence).

Everything that I have done in the area has been car-based except for a tourist boat trip up to Rainbow Bridge.

Doug

MikePS said:
No doubt, there is a big marina that rents houseboats and smaller power boats,sorry I do not have the name handy- just google Glen Canyon marinas. Sounds like a great way to hike this area, good luck and have fun :)
There are several: Hite Marina, Bullfrog Marina, Wahweap Marina.

Doug

While 2008 is a bit of ways in the future - do check the water levels. Was there about a year ago and the water levels were way, way down. Opened up some interesting sights that hadn't been seen in a long time, but ... am reasonably certain that part of the West is still experiencing a severe drought, so something to keep in mind if that's an issure for your trip.

Kevin Rooney said:
While 2008 is a bit of ways in the future - do check the water levels. Was there about a year ago and the water levels were way, way down. Opened up some interesting sights that hadn't been seen in a long time, but ... am reasonably certain that part of the West is still experiencing a severe drought, so something to keep in mind if that's an issure for your trip.
When I was there several years ago, the Hite Marina had moved a significant distance to stay near the shoreline... I suspect that the other marinas had to do the same.

A ref that might be interesting:
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/travel/articles/0424glencan24.html

A search in rec.backcountry
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.backcountry/search?q=Glen+Canyon&start=0&scoring=d&
yields lots of good stuff. There are a number of real desert rats posting to this newsgroup...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....nk=gst&q=Glen+Canyon&rnum=13#7482db5c87f2bc29 is a nice one.

Doug