Glider Pilot Rescued after Crash in WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ear Drum

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
here's the post from NH Fish and Game Law Enforcement Division and Operation Game Thief -- with three photos at the link below:

Glider Pilot Rescued after Crash
BENTON, NH: On Sunday, June 2, 2024 at approximately 4:50 PM, the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department was notified of a glider crash that occurred in the White Mountain National Forest in Benton. The pilot was uninjured but was inside the cockpit hanging from a tree approximately 20 feet from the ground. Luckily he had cell service and was able to text 911 to request assistance.
Conservation Officers, US Forest Service Law Enforcement and rescue personnel from Haverhill Fire, Hanover Fire and Lebanon Fire departments responded to Long Pond Road to assist in the extraction. The pilot was identified as Henry Swayze, 84, of Tunbridge, Vermont. Swayze had taken off from Post Mills, Vt. around 2:00 PM and made it to Canon Mountain in Franconia before trying to return to Post Mills. On his return trip, Swayze had trouble getting lift and tried to circle the ridge near the Hogsback. During his last attempt at getting lift he hit a downdraft and crashed near the saddle of the Hogsback around 4:20 PM. Rescuers were able to access the US Forest Service road to within ½ mile of Swayze. The first rescuers reached Swayze at approximately 6:55 pm and began to plan his extraction. Fire department personnel set up a pulley and harness system to lower Swayze from the tree. Swayze and the rescue personnel were back at the road by 9:50 pm. The FAA was given Swayze’s information and location for further investigation.

That is hysterical (OK not what I mean literally) but as I was coming down the Skook around 12PM SUN a plane went overhead towing a glider and I was thinking I'd be reading about him in the news with the erratic breezes on the ridge. Sounds like it wasn't the same guy based on times in article. I made my observation around noon.

The tow comes up from Franconia airport across from the Inn.

But this old buck had quite a ride from VT and almost back. As with single engine flight, altitude is your friend.

There is a group that comes up to Gorham NH in the fall and runs gliders out of the local grass strip. Its not a big strip and when they come in on final approach there is not a lot or room or alternatives for landing. Never heard of an issue but seeing them skim over main street is quite unnerving.