Go Uphill to Be Rescued

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never been rescued, but I have been a mite confused plenty of times. I’d say it depends upon the circumstances at the time which way is the better option.

I’ve gone up to get my bearings. I did just that when I successfully climbed Cupsuptic Snow. The mountain, which had been ahead of me, was suddenly behind me, so I felt the only way to know for sure where the heck I was was to make my way to the top and locate the canister to confirm my location, then I could take a compass bearing to return to my car. It would have been impossible for me to retrace my steps (I had no GPS then); I had to go up.

It’s worth going down if I know I’m heading in roughly the correct direction. I’ll just bull ahead and sort it out when I hit the road. My initial climbs of Old Speck and Scar Ridge come to mind, here.

I’d have to go through my list hike by hike to figure out which I’ve done more often.

I really can't see the advantage of climbing upward tp be rescued unles you are climbing Mount Washington and want to pay 25 bucks for a ride down on a stage.
There are many summits that don't have cell phone coverage in the Whites. I thought it was because of distance, but someone mentioned "too many signals" (?)
This all reminds me of the classic Mount Paugus event, when the guy had a portable TV and watched his own rescue, and would not go down streams or old roads.

I've definately gone up when I've been "misplaced". Doing some backcountry skiing, I knew generally where I was and where home was. However, in the winter it can be tough at times to tell if you have crossed a drainage and where the trail is. I headed up so I could get a look around and get my bearings.

Grayjay said:
I really can't see the advantage of climbing upward tp be rescued unles you are climbing Mount Washington and want to pay 25 bucks for a ride down on a stage.
In fact climbing up on Mt W when lost is often disrecommended... The weather conditions can get worse rapidly as one nears the summit and the summit buildings are closed, except during summer business hours. The topography on the upper regions of Mt W also includes non-summit high points so one could ascend to an unknown location.

There are many summits that don't have cell phone coverage in the Whites. I thought it was because of distance, but someone mentioned "too many signals" (?)
In practice, it could be either--my cell phone just indicates no connection but not why.

Doug