GoLite Trek backpack opinions ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into getting the trek actually. I tried it on and it never felt very good on my back. To put it bluntly the suspension leaves something to be desired -- well, alot to be desired.

Other things i noticed, it hangs funny unless fully loaded.

I ended up getting the EMS spire. MUCH better suspension but slightly heavier. Though felt just as light b/c it fit better.

jwind said:
I looked into getting the trek actually. I tried it on and it never felt very good on my back. To put it bluntly the suspension leaves something to be desired -- well, alot to be desired.

Other things i noticed, it hangs funny unless fully loaded.

I ended up getting the EMS spire. MUCH better suspension but slightly heavier. Though felt just as light b/c it fit better.
Yeah, the two big trade-offs for lightness in packs are durability and suspension.

I have a couple of 5+ pound external frame packs that make loads feel liight because of the suspension (puts more weight on hips), but it doesn't trick my knees.

I haven't used the Trek, but have used a GoLIte Race and it is fine with under 25 pounds in it (limit is 30#).

I just bought a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, and am about to take a walk with it on with about 30 pounds of gear and water to test it out. If it feels okay after half an hour, I'll keep it, otherwise I'll return it.

I don't have the Golite trek but I do have a Golite backpack (I forget which one at this moment). For me, it has freed me up to be able to backpack. Weight is a real issue and the more I can get rid of, the better my chances are of being able to backpack.

There are a couple of things I don't care for on my particular pack...the clip on the top to cinch it down always pops open if you tighten it to much. Maybe it's just a faulty clip. The other is on my kids Golite they have mesh pockets on the outside, mine only has one regular pocket in the front. I'd like to not have to dig through my pack to get stuff I use constantly but I've been working on packing it better.

I have a both a Golite Trek and Race. In my opinion, the Trek is too large a pack for the load it is able to carry. It’s very easy to fill it with too much weight. It also doesn’t carry well when it isn’t full. When I go weekend backpacking, I normally take the Race and the Trek stays home collecting dust. About the only time I use the Trek is in early spring and late fall when I need to carry my warmer sleeping bag that won’t fit in the Race. I think if you’re looking for a pack with the same volume as the Trek, you are better off looking for a heavier pack that is capable of handling more than 30lbs. If you’re looking to cut your pack weight to below 25lbs I would go with something smaller than the Trek.

I have the Golite Dawn. While light, it is not the most comfortable pack I have ever used. With a bear cannister inside a rolled up blue pad, the pack is stiff enough to gett all the weight on my hips if I want. The problem is the cylinder shape rides on the spine instead of the lumbar muscles. I have adjustments in the planning stages, someday I may actually make them.

However, This is not to say I don't like the pack. For a three day hike in the summer I have all the room I need. Overall weight with food water and bear cannister is under 25 pounds. Despite the problems above, I still enjoy this pack immensely. Small, light and absolutely no problem when doing class 3/4 scrambles.

Tony

Guys, as always, I appreciate you're immediate and well worded responses.
I even appreciate the "blue square" I received for asking this question. :confused:
After reading your responses I realized I'm looking to get my pack into the 30 lb range, which means I need to lose about 10 lbs of gear before I worry about the last 2 1/2 lbs of pack. :eek:

Chip said:
Guys, as always, I appreciate you're immediate and well worded responses.
I even appreciate the "blue square" I received for asking this question. :confused:
After reading your responses I realized I'm looking to get my pack into the 30 lb range, which means I need to lose about 10 lbs of gear before I worry about the last 2 1/2 lbs of pack. :eek:

I have a Gregor "G" pack. It's light but it can carry a LOT of stuff. It has a good amount of padding where it rests on the back. (I've heard people complain that their light packs lack good padding, and are uncomfortable). It's fully adjustable, and always comfortable, even at the end of a long day. It seems to be a compromise between a full pack, and a 'lite' pack.

Golite Trek

i tried out both the team and speed packs awhile back. i ended up returning as i just didn't feel like they had any support - well they didn't of course hench "lite" but i wasn't willing to sacrifice comfort on my back at the time for the reduced weight. i did end up getting the gregory advent pro (lite pack) and love it. it's weighs about 2# which may be a bit heavier than the golites but it just has better all-round support and features. tons of features. (some folks don't like all the features,i do and use them all). however i do know the trek was supposed to be an improvement over the 2 i tried so maybe it is. the trek and the advent pro both weigh about the same but the trek is about 1500cu " larger so if you want more room that may be the way to go. but just make sure you aren't sacrificing the comfort you need for some weight reduction. just my 2cents.