got orange? / hunting season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
On the Bondcliff Trail are freshly-fallen red and yellow (maple and beech) leaves. Yes!!! :) From Bondcliff, I saw one maple tree completely turned. :)

Autumn is near, which means it's time to ready the orange. The bear season starts September 1st.

I wear orange hats and gloves, and I attach an orange vest to my pack. Does anyone know where orange gaitors are sold? I have red ones, but I've never seen orange. I'll bet Ragged Mountain would make them on request...

Happy Trails!

Seeing as I never really grew up around hunting and my sport generally had me rowing down a river every weekend from September to November, I'm really not very aware of general safety for hikers during hunting season. I know that wearing orange is helpful. Any other safety tips? Where should I be concerned?

I always add some hunter orange during the fall hiking season. I have ballcaps, and hunter orange rectangles of fleece that I can pin to my pack and a poncho I made from the hunter orange fleece. I pick and choose depending on where we go.

Interesting note: A color-blind friend said that red check (typical wood jacket) is totally impossible for him to see in the woods BUT blue jeans practically glow for him at dusk. I would never have thought that blue jeans would be easier for him to see.

Notice to wildlife.....
My back 40 are available for refuge....you must forage for your own food and drink....Do not approach humans wearing bright colors and turn away from bright lights!! ;) ;)

As I live in an area where hunting is common, I wear an orange cap and my dog wears an orange vest even walking down my road...

....Jade

Last edited:
BorealChickadee said:
Interesting note: A color-blind friend said that red check (typical wood jacket) is totally impossible for him to see in the woods BUT blue jeans practically glow for him at dusk. I would never have thought that blue jeans would be easier for him to see.

It probably has to do with the fact that blue jeans are one solid color where as red check is made of a pattern of different color (shades). This would cause the outline of someone wearing red check to be more broken up making them harder to see. It is the breaking up of ones outline why blaze orange camouflage works on deer, which are also color blind.

Here is a link to NYS DEC which has the different dates for deer hunting season. http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/bgseasons.html

Last edited:
If I was going to hike during the Maine regular deer hunting season, I'd pay attention to the laws regarding blaze orange for hunters. There are reasons for them.

hockeycrew said:
Seeing as I never really grew up around hunting and my sport generally had me rowing down a river every weekend from September to November, I'm really not very aware of general safety for hikers during hunting season. I know that wearing orange is helpful. Any other safety tips? Where should I be concerned?

hockeycrew,

Wearing orange is not only helpful but in most states it's the law when hiking in an area where hunting is allowed. I usually wear an orange hat at the very least. Some folks I see wear the orange hat and an orange vest as well.

As one who used to hunt and avidly beleives in the rights of all outdoorsfolk, not just paddlers, hikers and climbers, I can offer the following:

You can purchase a blaze orange fleece or nylon vest usually at Wal-mart or Dick's for about $5. This works great to put on both sides of your pack and overlap the pack behind you. I picked up a blaze orange fleece from Eitehr LLBean or LandsEnd a few years back and usually wear that on cooler days or a blaze orange turtleneck on warmer days.

If you are properly dressed I honestly beleive you have no reason to be worried, however, use common sense in the field, Avoid hiking through areas if you hear a lot of gunfire. When arriving at a trailhead, if you see a lot of hunters milling about or (I say this gently as I am a pickup truck owner) a lot of pickups with nascar stickers and gun racks, I would probably check out a different trailhead for the day.

Also, Looking at Artex's schedule, I would generally avoid hiking the opening day of any season except Spring (bow) turkey as the woods are generally crowded and folks are pretty excited to be out and accidents do sometimes happen.
Cheers

Rick said:
a lot of pickups with nascar stickers and gun racks, I would probably check out a different trailhead for the day.

I have a pickup truck with NASCAR stickers, but no gun rack. I've never been a hunter. :D

Rick said:
Also, Looking at Artex's schedule, I would generally avoid hiking the opening day of any season except Spring (bow) turkey as the woods are generally crowded and folks are pretty excited to be out and accidents do sometimes happen.
Cheers

Good advice and yes sometimes accidents do happen :( . However, from my hiking experiences I've noticed that most hunters tend to be very responsible and really know what they're doing. In other words I haven't come across too many trigger happy hunters. I've also noticed that hunters usually hunt pretty far away from marked trails for the obvious reason that hikers tend to scare away any wildlife. I find staying on the marked trail is a safe way to hike during hunting season and of course wearing the orange.

:)

hockeycrew said:

Depending on where you hike it will be posted. In CT there's a section of the AT that runs through state land where hunting is allowed during the specific seasons. It's well posted and there's notification at the trailhead signs. If you check with the State DEP or DNR they can tell you if hunting is allowed where you're hiking. It's good to know anyway. 99% of hunters follow the rules, but there are those who will "wander" into bordering properties or test the season dates. Report these, as they are poaching, not hunting.

WhiteMTHike said:
Wearing orange is not only helpful but in most states it's the law when hiking in an area where hunting is allowed.
I don't believe this is true. Regs on wearing blaze orange usually only apply to hunters, not to hikers. In NH, even that is only a recommendation not a requirement.

Having said that, I have a blaze orange shirt that I'll often wear, or a bandana, or we just talk a lot while hiking. On popular hiking trails you are very unlikely to see hunters. Same with being up high. I've never had more that a casual encounter with a hunter in the Whites, just enough to say "Hi" and wish them a good day. I've never been worried about my safety or modified my hiking plans because of hunting season.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
I don't believe this is true. -dave-

It is true in CT. As far as I know it has been the law since around 1977. If I remember correctly it also specifies in square inches how much area must be covered in blaze orange. I haven't hunted in years but the law makes goods sense. Of course I have always felt that you can not legislate intelligence or common sense. :D

Some states require horse riders and hikers to wear it during hunting season. Check your local laws. Like David said. It is only recommended for wear in NH and VT.

All state laws regarding blaze orange

Keith

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
....I've never been worried about my safety or modified my hiking plans because of hunting season.
-dave-
Dave,

You're right, one probably wouldn't consider changing plans so much around the whites. I was thinking more about the AT in PA, and the Northern Counties in PA and the southern counties of Western NY which is where much of my recent hiking experience has been. It is not uncommon during hunting season to pass a dozen hunters at dawn on a Saturday Morning within the first couple of miles of a trailhead. Many times they will sit right on the trail, however, as you said, a kind "Hello" and "Have a nice Day" go miles and miles towards keeping a good rapport.
Rick

I sure hope this stays civil. Another thread on this subject last year really took a really bad turn. Dogs, hunting, LNT, religion, politics....all topics that by their history, lead to problems. Lets see if we can beat the odds this time around.

Back to the original question:

I also suggest to avoid wearing a white hat/patch of white or brown shirt. The white will look like the underside of a white tail bounding away and the brown...well guess.

I'm not concerned in the high peaks but I do a lot of hiking in the west-central region and there are many hunters sharing the woods. It's that area that I make sure I've got my blaze orange hat in the very least. Their camo is so good that one time I practically fell on one back in the Limekiln Lake area sitting very quietly at the base of a tree in real tree full camo garb.

BorealChickadee said:
Their camo is so good that one time I practically fell on one back in the Limekiln Lake area sitting very quietly at the base of a tree in real tree full camo garb.

One day last May I was hiking Huntersfield Mt. in the NW Catskills and I saw a guy on a woods road who was out for spring (bow) turkey season. He said he had seen me walk by on the trail. He was just a few feet away and I never saw him. I thought that was pretty cool.

So far I just have one of those cheapo orange vests. Maybe this year I'll invest in another blaze orange piece. I did adjust my hiking activity a bit last fall. During rifle hunting season I mostly stuck to the Shawangunks and avoided the Catskills. One day in early December my friend and I heard shots while we were hiking Ashokan High Point, so we just keep up the chatter. As if I need an excuse to blather on while on the trail! :rolleyes: Overall, I think the woods are big enough for all of us w/ a little courtesy and common sense.

Matt

Being a hunter and a hiker, I agree with blaze orange, it stands out. They even make a blaze orange camo. Red checkered coats are more or less camo, they blend in. A steady hiking pace is more noticable to both animals and hunters than a slow, stop and go movement, which is like a sneaking deer.When in foresty school we were not allowed to do tree climbing in the fall season, someone might mistake you for a bear, so don't climb in trees. Hunter fees, taxes on gear, pay for a lot of public conservation and land acquistion, trail maintence and so on. For my self, catching or bagging something is not the goal, whether it be a peak or an animal, its the priviledge of being outdoors and enjoying it.

As a few others have mentioned, at least in WMNF, there's nothing to worry about while on trails, especially busy ones, and up high. I bushwack alot, much the way hunters do. I'm not after a peak, but just tooling around with my camera. I wear lots of orange. I think orange gaitors would make sense, just never see them for sale. I'll call Ragged Mountain and ask them if they'll make them.