got orange? / hunting season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAR-EMT40 said:
It is true in CT. As far as I know it has been the law since around 1977. [/URL]
Keith

Keith, those are regs for hunters, they are not required for hikers. As was mentioned, walmart & kmart have blaze dirt cheap. I've a blaze orange neck gator that is always around my sleeping pad, and if I need it, it's there for warmth also. Blaze gloves, hat, vest, it couldn't hurt.

I don't see anything "controversial" about this discussion. As long as the hunting is legal, it's hikers responsibility to know where they are and when hunting is allowed. As I mentioned, it's better to know the laws so if anyone is poaching you can feel free to report them. I hunt and I love to report poachers.

BorealChickadee said:
Back to the original question:

I also suggest to avoid wearing a white hat/patch of white or brown shirt. The white will look like the underside of a white tail bounding away and the brown...well guess.

Combos of red, white and blue - like a colorful bandana - should be avoided also as these are the colors of a big tom turkey. Having said that, no hunter in his right mind would shoot your bandana, but we're trying to anticipate the "wrong" minds out there. ;)

This is a little like discussing bear. The actual danger is impossibly small.
As an example; in 2003 2.7 million hunting licenses were issued in Michigan. There were 2 hunting related deaths and 30 injuries. The deaths are normally from falling from tree stands or heart attacks, not gun related.

StinkyFeets point below about your dog is excellent. Chances of a dog being mistaken for game are high. My dog has the coloring of a deer and looks a bit like a wolf. I keep him in a blaze nylon vest whenever we are in the woods.

Last edited:
Chip said:
Keith, those are regs for hunters, they are not required for hikers.

You are correct. I re-read Davids post and realized my mistake. I didn't mean to imply it was a requirement for non-hunters. Just common sense.

Keith

Oh, absolutely Keith! There are too many people out there that are literally too stupid to be worth encountering when they are armed. I hunt (small game), so I'm certainly not anti-hunting. I'm just very anti- "hunting anything that looks like it might be a deer". In my home area people have been known to shoot horses that are wearing orange ribbons as well as other hunters that are wearing the full orange. I make it a point to make some noise as well. I'm out hiking to hike. I don't care if I scare off game, I just scare off hunters that might think *I'm* game!

So wear lots of orange and make noise!

Chip said:
StinkyFeets point below about your dog is excellent. Chances of a dog being mistaken for game are high. My dog has the coloring of a deer and looks a bit like a wolf. I keep him in a blaze nylon vest whenever we are in the woods.
Where's a good place to pick up a few orange vests for the dog? I'll need to get at least one before hunting season if we want to keep trail running in the woods of N. Central, MA. I've already had a few local hunters ask if my pup was part wolf. (See avatar) I don't need someone in the woods also confusing her for wildlife, especially since I'm no more than 6 ft away at the other end of the leash! :eek:

smitty77
You can also find orange vests for your dog at any of the hunting/fishing companies. ie www.Cabelas.com. The neoprene vests add some warmth for the colder months, even in winter when hunting season is over the orange helps keep the dog very visable.

Last edited:
I got a really nice orange vest for my Golden Retriever, Summit, last year at Agway's in North Haverhill, NH. It is shaped like a saddle, covers most of her back, and has a metal clip under her belly. It fits over her broad chest, stays on really well, and she doesn't mind wearing it. I have washed it a few times and just hang it to dry. I also have her wear a flourescent collar during hunting season and I wear an orange vest. I figure you can never be too careful.

Ginny

Maine generally requires hunters to wear at least one article of clothing of hunter orange but a hunter orange hat and an article of clothing covering the upper torso during deer season no matter what you're hunting. There is no such requirement that I know of for hikers but, hey, it's one thing to go out there unarmed and another to go out begging to be, shall we say, bagged.

I was a hunter years before I was a hiker and have read some really good points here.
Wear lots of blaze orange. An orange hat is as important as an orange vest. You can get vests from the outdoors section of KMart or WallyMart. They range from thin, almost weighless nylon vests, to more heavier, insulated ones.

Never wear white. Too much like a deer's tail or throat.
I'd avoid bright blue during the turkey season. Its very close to a male turkey's head color, especially in the Spring turkey season.

Consider getting a dog collar with a loud bell. Some of the bird hunting sites sell them. Bird hunters collar their dogs with them so they know where the dog is in thick cover and know they are "on point" when the bell is silent. Those bells carry a long way in the quiet of the woods and will alert a hunter to your presence as well as your 4 footed companion.

Be very careful even bringing your dog in the woods where there are lots of deer hunters. In many states, it is a illegal for a dog to run a deer, and it is not unknown for hunters to shoot dogs they suspect are chasing a deer. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance that a guy with a firearm might see my dog running across his deer stand and make an incorrect assumption.
Most hunters who are sitting, use their sense of hearing to first listen for deer. They will assume that the slow, steady walking noise they hear is another human. The sound of a running dog is much more like a large, running animal and the flash of a dog running by could cause a tragic mistake by a careless hunter.

Consider being especially careful in the very early morning hours or just before dark. Those are the times that deer are most active and hunters are aware of that. Orange, at that time of the day, can be unrecognizable. I think it has to do with something called "red shift" that makes red shades appear black. Your four legged friend, moving thru the woods may not have the benefit of his orange vest showing up well early and late in the day. In some cases, hunters eek-out the last minutes of the day, when they can barely see. Be careful.

If you see vehicles at trailheads that look like hunters are around, or encounter hunters in the woods, make noise as you hike. Hum your favorite song, talk with your hiking partners, keep up a dialog with your dog. It lets the hunters know you're coming. I would avoid opening day of the firearms season in areas known to be frequented by hunters. You may spoil their day by moving around in the woods, and for those of you who are spooked by this sport, it may spoil your day as well.

Finally, during the deer season, consider avoiding trails with long or shallow approaches, or where you're in relatively flat terrain for long periods of time. Hunting clothes, equipment, ammo, and firearms weigh a lot. While some hunters will climb to get where the deer are, the vast majority prefer much flatter terrain. Trails that climb steeply from the trailhead will get you past the vast majority of hunters, and much more quickly.
Hope you don't mind all the advice.

PB

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a hunter ex--hunter forum where you can share your views without offending the many who choose not to get involved in such a thread on VFTT........

I don't dislike hunters, I abhor the practice of killing animals for sport and reading about it on a hiking forum........

Live and let live.....and get your butt out on the trail!!...Jade

ripple said:
smitty77
You can also find orange vests for your dog at any of the hunting/fishing companies. ie www.Cabelas.com. The neoprene vests add some warmth for the colder months, even in winter when hunting season is over the orange helps keep the dog very visable.
Since the dog is a husky and seems immune to the cold, I'm not too concerned with insulation. :) The colder it is, the more she loves being outside. I had to draw the line at -10 last winter. That was just too cold for me for a before-work walk.

Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions. I'll pick something up before the week is out and start getting her used to wearing something before hunting season begins.

Smitty

forestnome said:
As a few others have mentioned, at least in WMNF, there's nothing to worry about while on trails, especially busy ones, and up high. I bushwack alot, much the way hunters do. I'm not after a peak, but just tooling around with my camera. I wear lots of orange. I think orange gaitors would make sense, just never see them for sale. I'll call Ragged Mountain and ask them if they'll make them.
FN I do not think you would need orange gaitors , just orange hat and light weight vest and maybe something on your pack. . Most hunters probably are not going to be where you are going. You can get both hat and vest very cheaply at Wall Mart.
You can alos check with the NH F& G about where most people hunt they do keep records of whre game was taken . Hunters do have to bring some to thier F&G for a number of reasons. One thing to keep in mind is that if a hunter does take a deer ,moose ect they will have to get it out of the forest and to thier vehical. that limits how far they will go .
They can give you a idea of where to go and not to go.

Last edited:
jade said:
Perhaps there is a hunter ex--hunter forum where you can share your views without offending the many who choose not to get involved in such a thread on VFTT........

I don't dislike hunters, I abhor the practice of killing animals for sport and reading about it on a hiking forum........

Live and let live.....and get your butt out on the trail!!...Jade

Jade,

Like you, I also don't dislike hunters and I agree with your views about hunting; which is why I don't nor ever will do it. But I think the ex-hunters on this board who are posting to this thread are only sharing their experiences so that us hikers will be safe during hunting season.

The original poster had a question about how to be safe on trails that are near hunting areas. I think the ex-hunters are just trying to give helpful advice. As someone who lives in a small state with few trails and where the hunters far outnumber the hikers, I for one appreciate their advice on safety.

I'll now proceed to get my butt on the trail :D .

Happy hiking!

:)

Peakbagger very informative post.

I read an article in the latest Audubon magazine abour deer hunting in PA. A point it raised; Hunters there tend to go into the easy access areas often with the use of ATVs. They don't make a large effort for the remote areas. I do not know the extent of ATV use by hunters, however, the ban of these vehicles in our hiking areas may help to thin the number of hunters who may frequent these areas. BTW most hunters I see are in a diner sipping coffee and eating pancakes.

Thanks Peakbagr. Knowledge about hunting practices is a good thing for everyone; it helps provide an additional margin of safety. I'm not a hunter, though I enjoy venison, but find knowledge of hunting practices helpful just for spotting and photographing wild game.

Stan said:
Maine generally requires hunters to wear at least one article of clothing of hunter orange but a hunter orange hat and an article of clothing covering the upper torso during deer season no matter what you're hunting. There is no such requirement that I know of for hikers but, hey, it's one thing to go out there unarmed and another to go out begging to be, shall we say, bagged.

On Passamaquoddy land:
It is unlawful during any firearms season on moose, deer or bear, for a person to hunt or accompany another person who is hunting unless a hat or vest of solid colored hunter orange is worn, except that a person hunting waterfowl from a boat or blind or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys need not wear hunter orange clothing.

On Penobscot land:
Any person hunting with a firearm during the open general season or big-game sustenance on deer, must wear an article of hunter orange clothing which is in good and serviceable condition and visible on all sides. Persons hunting waterfowl from a boat or blind or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys placed on the water need not wear hunter orange clothing.

Elsewhere in the State of Maine:
A person may not hunt with firearms during the open firearm season on deer unless that person is wearing 2 articles of hunter orange clothing that are in good, serviceable condition and visible from all sides, except that a person hunting waterfowl from a boat or blind or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys is not required to wear hunter orange clothing. One article of clothing must be a solid-colored hunter orange hat. The other article of clothing must cover a major portion of the torso, such as a jacket, vest, coat or poncho, and must be a minimum of 50% hunter orange in color. The presence of a decal on an article of clothing that is otherwise solid-colored hunter orange does not disqualify that article of clothing from satisfying the requirements of this subsection.

So for Maine hunting in general, that's two orange articles: a hat plus torso covering. None of this applies to non-hunters, and remember that bow hunters are not required to wear orange.