Great Gully Trail is beautiful

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
BeccaM and I have been hiking together lately, despite out different hiking styles. I'm a nature geek and she's a super strong peakbagger. We are learning to facilitate each other's "needs" and enjoy the forest together, i.e. peaks and redlining vs taking time to take pictures.

We took the Link over to the Amphibranch.

Cold Brook Falls...

IMG_7583aaa.jpg

We took the King Ravine Trail toward the floor of the ravine. This section of KRT is seldom used....very nice...

IMG_7603aaa.jpg

Here's a nice cascade just below Mossy Fall...

IMG_7610aaa.jpg

the floor of the ravine is a special place, with huge boulders that make hiking interesting...

IMG_7620aaa.jpg

IMG_7629aaa.jpg

IMG_7651aaa.jpg

The Great Gully Trail climbs the western wall of the ravine. This seldom used trail is so pretty...lots of different plants and flowers in bloom...

bluebead lilly...

IMG_7716aaa.jpg

ice on the floor of the ravine still...

IMG_7677aaa.jpg

Becca supposedly waiting patiently while I take pictures. Does that look like the body language of patience?

IMG_7656aaa.jpg

The trail climbs along a drainage, a nice place for speedwell...

IMG_7722aaa.jpg

IMG_7619aaa.jpg

continued....

Last edited:
the Great Gully Trail climbs rather steeply at times, through some interesting challanges...so much beauty...

IMG_7706aaa.jpg

rose twisted stalk...

IMG_7680aaa.jpg

three-toothed cinquefoil near the top...

IMG_7803aaa.jpg

Becca wanted to hike to the top of Adams even though we had such a beautiful long hike through such a pretty place. In the spirit of facilitating each other's "needs" (the need to reach a goal) I went along with her. She had been very patient while I took pictures....for the most part.

View of Mt. Washington...

IMG_7758aaa.jpg

descending Mt. Adams in strong western winds...

IMG_7781aaa.jpg

beautiful late day light along the Airline...

IMG_7807aaa.jpg

Thanks, Becca, for another awesome day in the forest :)

Last edited:
Wow. That's really splendid. I've never been up the Great Gully, but I dearly love the KRT. And your dead-on shot into the Great Gulf is one of the best pictures of Mt. Washington I've ever seen.

Superb!

Another killer TR with the accompanying killer shots! Have not ventured INTO King Ravine, yet... just around it. Pretty sure I want to go, thanks to you!

I agree about the shot of Washington. Looks like his arms are cradling the Great Gulf. Love it!

KDT

Darn, publicizing a favorite trail!. Even on a busy weekend when Kings Ravine Trail is crowded, great gully is usually empty. FWIW, part of the route forms part of the the "seven" snow formation in the spring. At least part of the route is up an intermittent but active stream bed so it can be a tad bit damp.

One thing to keep in mind about Kings Ravine is that it is not "dog friendly" at the base of the ravine as the bottom is full of large (sometimes house sized) boulders piled up on each other. There are many deep holes between the rocks. Hikers hop from rock to rock or scramble up them, but dogs may have a tough time and if they are unlucky in a wrong spot, a rescue would be near impossible as the crevices can get quite small and real deep. I am not saying dogs havent done it, but its best approached with caution.

One thing to keep in mind about Kings Ravine is that it is not "dog friendly" at the base of the ravine as the bottom is full of large (sometimes house sized) boulders piled up on each other. There are many deep holes between the rocks. Hikers hop from rock to rock or scramble up them, but dogs may have a tough time and if they are unlucky in a wrong spot, a rescue would be near impossible as the crevices can get quite small and real deep. I am not saying dogs havent done it, but its best approached with caution.

Thanks For pointing that out-- I was just re-reading this thread because I wanted to ask about that-- the FG's pictures raised my warning flags on the doggability. Definatley a day I would plan to Be dog-less.

Dogs!

Having taken Emma into the jumbled boulders below Huntington Ravine and had several near heart attacks watching her and thinking, "If she slips into that hole there'll be no getting her out." I'd say yeah, leave the dogs home for this one!

KDT