Has anyone used these packs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Has anyone used the REI Mars or Aether 85 packs?

I'm looking for a slightly bigger pack for winter. For the past 6 years I've been using an Aether 75 which has been a good pack, but I find I'm strapping a lot of stuff on the outside: down boots, tent, sleeping pad, crampons, camera. Sometimes I have a shovel, snow shoes and ice ax too. With a larger pack I might be able to get the booties and tent inside the pack and get a more balanced load on my back.

I'm open to other pack suggestions too. I like my packs light and simple.

I just bought the Osprey Aether 85 with a 20% off 1 item deal at Moosejaw, free shipping. I have not hiked with it yet , but I have 2 other Osprey packs and no complaints. I'm pretty sure the Aether will fit the bill for the larger loads.

Maybe I'll go with the Aether 85. The 75 has worked out well for me so far, and the current model sounds like it should be even better since it has 5 years of improvements compared to my model.

Osprey and Gregory both have excellent reputations among thru-hikers. However, the Aether 85 is probably too big for most thru-hikers.