Helping the New Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPS is a nice convenience. Don't rely on it.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this, unless you also suggest one not rely on their boots, or jacket, or headlamp, or stove, etc. A GPS is an accurate device, and a real aid in navigation. Same thing with cell phones - certainly conserve the batteries, and most people either realize coverage isn't 100% in the woods, but where it that true even in an urban area.

Newbie hikers are new to the sport, not stupid.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this, unless you also suggest one not rely on their boots, or jacket, or headlamp, or stove, etc. A GPS is an accurate device, and a real aid in navigation. Same thing with cell phones - certainly conserve the batteries, and most people either realize coverage isn't 100% in the woods, but where it that true even in an urban area.

Newbie hikers are new to the sport, not stupid.

I think Dana means to say that people who use a GPS unit should still have the skills and experience to get themselves out of the woods if it fails. If your boots fail on you in the woods, you certainly aren't going to sit down and wait for the rescue party to come get you. You need to be properly prepared so that the same is true if your GPS stops working.

I think Dana means to say that people who use a GPS unit should still have the skills and experience to get themselves out of the woods if it fails. If your boots fail on you in the woods, you certainly aren't going to sit down and wait for the rescue party to come get you. You need to be properly prepared so that the same is true if your GPS stops working.
Well said.
Know how to take care of yourself with minimal reliance on those things over which you have no control.

I would echo DSettahr and strongly urge any hiker, especially any family that plans to hike together, one or both parents should take a Wilderness First Aid course. Something as simply as a blister can end a hike early, so knowing how to prevent or care for a blister can mean the difference between a fun day in the woods, and a painful hike out.

Something as simply as a blister can end a hike early, so knowing how to prevent or care for a blister can mean the difference between a fun day in the woods, and a painful hike out.

Agreed. One mistake that it seems like almost every newbie hiker makes is to "tough it out" when they start developing "hot spots" on their feet. Often the new hiker is anxious not to appear to be a wimp and/or doesn't want to hold up the group by stopping. However, if you stop as soon as you feel an uncomfortable spot where your (new) boots are rubbing, and use moleskin or even just a bandaid on the spot, you can prevent a blister and have a much happier hike.

Agreed. One mistake that it seems like almost every newbie hiker makes is to "tough it out" when they start developing "hot spots" on their feet. Often the new hiker is anxious not to appear to be a wimp and/or doesn't want to hold up the group by stopping. However, if you stop as soon as you feel an uncomfortable spot where your (new) boots are rubbing, and use moleskin or even just a bandaid on the spot, you can prevent a blister and have a much happier hike.
Or even Duct Tape! :D

This past winter I and two friends stayed at Zealand as an overnight. Once it was made known that I was “blister boy” I became extremely popular. One woman in particular had blisters not only on both heels, but had blisters between her toes as well. I spent close to an hour bandaging her feet so she could walk out without too much pain.

GPS is a nice convenience. Don't rely on it.
I agree with Kevin here...

All pieces of gear (including you) have failure modes. Learning how to use them effectively and how to recognize and prevent/avoid/work around the failure modes are important skills for safe hiking.

A GPS provides a very significant improvement in one's ability to navigate in difficult circumstances, but requires skill on the part of the user to use effectively. It is just a recent large leap forward and therefore receives an unwarranted amount of attention from the Luddites--tomorrow there will be something else.

Doug

Good thread, funny and overreaching at times, but lots of good info. It'd be interesting to hear from a real New Hiker ;) about what they've done and what they'd like to do. I grew up walking and running through the local woods and swamps and camping with friends, family and scouts, so for me it's been more of a progression having successes, making mistakes and correcting them. "Hiking" now, to me, generally means backpacking and being prepared to spend a night out, intentionally or not. So that's different from a simple walk in the woods.

I'm going to recommend this: If "you" (real New Hiker) have access to one or two 8 or 9 year olds, take them hiking. This is a great way to force you to consider the trail and conditions and prepare properly. If you have the desire, take them on an overnight, close enough to the car to be able to bail if needed, but far enough into the woods to make it real. If you can keep 2 9 year olds happy, warm and fed, you'll think your next hike with adults or on your own is a cake walk. Good Luck !

Just a thought, you seem to like to clarify other peoples points, I stand by my post and the way its worded.Thats not to say a first aid coarse is a bad idea,but many people call for help and quite frankly it bugs the hell out of me.I think if your rescued you should pay something for it, the whole cost? maybe not, but you did call for help why should that be free, when someone else had the guts to crawl his way out.

Just a thought, you seem to like to clarify other peoples points, I stand by my post and the way its worded.Thats not to say a first aid coarse is a bad idea,but many people call for help and quite frankly it bugs the hell out of me.I think if your rescued you should pay something for it, the whole cost? maybe not, but you did call for help why should that be free, when someone else had the guts to crawl his way out.

I wasn't clarifying your point, I was taking what you said, and modifying it so that it was something I agreed with. I understood what you were saying pretty well.

I'll stand by my post, too. I have seen a GPS report a position over 200 miles from my actual known position and yes, it was indicating a good satellite lock. That's better, I suppose, than a 2 mile error where it might not be so obvious. I've seen GPS batteries die unexpectedly, especially in cold weather. GPS is a convenience. But I don't rely on it. You shouldn't need to rely on it.

I'll stand by my post, too. I have seen a GPS report a position over 200 miles from my actual known position and yes, it was indicating a good satellite lock. That's better, I suppose, than a 2 mile error where it might not be so obvious.
I've seen bigger errors on my old GPS. However, I haven't seen such errors on my modern high-sensitivity unit. Generally the big errors are only one or two points, go away pretty quickly, and are obvious to a knowledgeable user.

BTW, the estimated error isn't trustworthy--it doesn't take all factors into account. Nor does an indicated lock guarantee that the data is accurate (see, for instance, multipath).

I've seen GPS batteries die unexpectedly, especially in cold weather. GPS is a convenience. But I don't rely on it. You shouldn't need to rely on it.
The same arguments apply to flashlights and headlamps--I hope you carry a candle lantern. Or maybe some spare batteries...

A GPS is just a tool--one that can tell you where you are to within a few meters under almost any conditions that a hiker is likely to encounter. No other navigational tool carried by hikers can do as well.

If you choose not to use a GPS, that is fine. However, it is perfectly reasonable for someone else to choose to use one. I have certainly been in situations where I could have used one (ocean sailing in heavy fog (pre-GPS)) or was able to travel in conditions where I would have had to turn back without one (night skiing on an unmaintained trail deep in the Wilderness).

Doug

Last edited:

There's an even better computing technology out there, more powerful than a GPS. It's capable of doing an error-analysis, and determining if a mistake has been made in position calculation. The computing power of this technology is vastly superior to that of a hand-held GPS. It's also capable of risk assessments, and will tell the user the best course of action in a wide variety of emergency situations. All too often, GPS users, being stuck in their ways, refuse to use it.

I'm referring, of course, to the "technology" of the human brain. ;)

In the interest of making this relevant to the new hiker: You have a brain. Use it. If something doesn't feel right, it's probably because something isn't right. It's ok to stop, and take a reassessment of the situation. Don't put yourself into situations you are uncomfortable with. Just because you make it out of a situation that is above and beyond your skill level once without injury, doesn't mean it will happen every time. Your confidence and comfort will improve along with your skill and experience.

Realize that regardless of the GPS/Anti-GPS debate, it's your choice to carry one or not. If there is a best choice, it is to become proficient in all of the navigational techniques, including dead reckoning, map and compass, and GPS, so that you can make the best choice as to which method to use for yourself, and also have the skills and experience necessary to use a 2nd method to get out of the woods in case your primary method fails.

I'm referring, of course, to the "technology" of the human brain.
The brain is also the source of some of the biggest failures...
Realize that regardless of the GPS/Anti-GPS debate, it's your choice to carry one or not. If there is a best choice, it is to become proficient in all of the navigational techniques, including dead reckoning, map and compass, and GPS, so that you can make the best choice as to which method to use for yourself, and also have the skills and experience necessary to use a 2nd method to get out of the woods in case your primary method fails.
Many, myself included, do carry a variety of navigational devices/aids/techniques (eg [multiple] maps, [multiple] compasses, GPS, knowledge of how to use the sun direction, a watch, knowledge of how to use terrain features, trail knowledge, dead reckoning, etc), and use them in combination when appropriate to provide continuous redundancy. If one is unusable or fails for some reason, the others help one to detect the problem and work around it.

Blanket condemnation of any of the above devices/aids/techniques is, IMO, inappropriate. Any or all can be useful in the hands of a knowledgeable user.

BTW, there is a recently published book, "The Natural Navigator: A Watchful Explorer's Guide to a Nearly Forgotten Skill", by Tristan Gooley which looks like it will be interesting to users of some of the older techniques. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Navigator-Watchful-Explorers-Forgotten/dp/1615190295

Doug

This is an interesting discussion to me, the one regarding GPS use or not. Of course it's a personal preference just like every other hiking choice we make as individuals.

I've always chosen not to use a GPS or carry one. I don't have a problem with others doing so because that's their business, but my reasoning is the same reason I do not have my cell phone attached to my side the entire day (when doing anything, not just hiking).

The technology (good cell phones) exists to allow us to be constantly accessible. The advancement of technology has simply surpassed my desire to be accessible.

With GPS units, my thought process is similar. The technology far surpasses what I want to take into the woods with me. It actually represents part of what I am trying to leave behind when I go to the mountains.

Simplicity is a big part of the experience for me.

That said, to each his or her own.

My advice to newbies - just because it's there doesn't mean it's necessarily something you'll want to use. Part of those decisions will come down to the reasons behind why you're heading into the woods in the first place.

where am I

Im still carrying my old silva compass. Ive never used a GPS before.I admitt they sound like an interesting tool, to be honest I can see the need if your off trail, but in the Whites using trails, seems like overkill to me, (maybe not in the winter). I like using a compass, out west in CO, I lost my way twice very far out in the backcountry, I found the compass very effective in getting unlost. If a new hiker asked my opinion, I would suggest starting with a compass, when proficient, a GPS could be next.

Im still carrying my old silva compass. Ive never used a GPS before.I admitt they sound like an interesting tool, to be honest I can see the need if your off trail, but in the Whites using trails, seems like overkill to me, (maybe not in the winter). I like using a compass, out west in CO, I lost my way twice very far out in the backcountry, I found the compass very effective in getting unlost.
The compass and GPS tell you fundamentally different things: the compass gives you bearings while the GPS gives you your position (and 3-dimensional velocity and time). Maps enable one to find the relationships between the bearings and positions.

Modern mapping GPSes automate finding some of the relationships and presenting them to the user in a convenient way.

FWIW, I used both together during some recent backcountry night skiing--the mapping GPS told me that I wanted to go SE from my current location to get to where I wanted to be and the compass told me which direction SE was.

Doug