Hike the 49 NH 4Ks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen...

Basically, it would come down to whether you are talking about the White Mountain 4Ks or the NH 4Ks. The 4K committee recognizes the WM 4Ks and so Old Speck ought to be included with those. If you are looking just at the NH 4Ks, then potentialy you would have to add Killington if they are successful in becoming part of NH. Unfortunately, unless we all start hauling dirt and rock up Sandwich Dome, there is very little chance we will ever have 50 4Ks :( So what do you say, can we get Sandwich over 4K within the next 10 years? :)

Ridgewalker said:
From my understanding Killington wants to join NH. I looked at a map of New England, Killington and countless towns will have to join NH. Do I have this correct? Or will Killington be the only town and will be the only town in U.S. to be separated from its parent state.

At this point, just Killington. Which would make for a strange looking state.

But it wouldn't be the only town separated from it's state. There's one in Washington that is only attached to Canada (see a recent National Geographic ZIPUSA story). And the town of Alburg, VT is a penisula in Lake Champlain that only is attached to Canada. Less relevant examples would be the Upper Penisula of Michigan, or the entire state of Hawai'i. Having contiguous land mass is not necessary for statehood.

It would be the only town completely surrounded by another state.

Of course, if they got away with it, I'm sure other towns would want to follow. I know my hometown would be better off moving to NH.

This thread is making my head hurt. I think I’ll stick with the Adirondacks. At least I know where they stand. Seeing as they aren’t even a part of the Appalachians they’re about as far as you can get from the Whites geologically speaking.

"On the subject of mountain ranges & rocks. The White Mountains and Maine are two subranges of the Appalachians. They can't be part of the NH 4K. Because if you included Katahdin like Dr. Dasypodidae mentioned its is separate due its geology.
This includes the Rangleys and the Biglows, and Spencers etc. The reason is also because it's separate statewise. Geologlywise a rock can be the same thing on the Presis and be the same in Maine but there is differant formation structure."

Just to clarify, the rock types AND STRUCTURES (faults, folds, etc) are indeed the same in the Rangeley, Maine, and Presidential Range areas, which is why the rock names in Maine have been adopted for the recent bedrock remapping of the Presi's.