Hiked a 14'er?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Anyone out there hiked in Colorado? The majority of my hiking has been in the Whites and I would say that I have a pretty good idea what to expect when heading out on a hike. This summer I hope to venture out to Colorado with friends. I hope to get some time to find a tall mountain and hike it. If anyone out there has experience with hiking these mountains, I would appreciate any comments on the subject. My biggest wonders / concerns are

1) What should I expect in the summer - ice, snow, cold temps
2) What would an average "starting" altitude be?
3) Is the trail system similar to here?

Thanks all

I've hike two 14'ers and a few 13'ers in Colorado. Here's a trip report for Mt Sneffels.

Snow hangs on for quite a while in the highest peaks. You can expect some snow in June, likely into July if it's been a good snow year. Someone with local knowledge can let you know which places are likely to have more or less snow.

Starting elevations vary a lot, depending on whether or not you have a good 4x4 to get up to some of the highest trailheads. We started our hikes between 8 and 9 thousand feet but some trailheads are higher.

Trails down low are similar to trails here, far fewer bridges though and more cows. Once above treeline there is a lot more route finding than trail following depending on which peak you choose. In many places there are multiple routes and you must keep an eye out for where you are trying to go. The popular peaks have pretty well established trails and routes. We had clear weather and except for one unscheduled trip across a boulder field we stayed on track the whole time.

Your biggest concerns should be altitude and weather. Anytime you venture above 9K (depends on the individual) you can experience altitude sickness. Some people are much worse than others, there's no way of knowing until you get there. Spend some time acclimatizing, spend at least 2 nights at 7-8K before ascending too high. Drink lots of water, altitude is dehydrating. Know the signs of altitude sickness and keep an eye on each other. If in doubt, go down.

Most afternoons there are thunderstorms on the peaks. You should be summitting by 1:00 and get down. It is extremely dangerous to be caught up there in bad weather, and the storms come in most afternoons. Don't push on when clouds are gathering, keep an eye on the skies.

-dave-

Jason,

I lived in Colorado for 5 years in the early to mid 90's and did lots of summer hiking, and some winter hiking all over the state (even built a couple snowcaves). There are lots of resources to gather info and I will try to dig up some links for you when I get home today, but in reply to your questions...

1. In summer you can still expect "winter" conditions in many places. There are many glaciers in Colorado and temps often dip below freezing overnight in the summer. Much depends on where you go but in general anything that high will present constantly varying conditions demanding preparation and proper emergency gear. Believe it or not, you can feeze and overheat on the same day, so you need to be prepared for both types of conditions when doing trips. Be very carefull with sunburn, too. It's VERY easy to get burned at those altitudes, even in the middle of winter.

2. Most average starting altitudes are around 8-10k feet. So in comparison, you may find that total elevation gains are not much different than gains you can find out here. It all depends on location, but many of my hikes started around 10K-meaning a gain of around 4k. Of course, you can find LOTS of variation on this depending on where you go and your routes.

3. Most trail systems are great but there are many that are unofficial and backcountry. I would do lots of research if you plan on spending many days out there as opposed to doing just day hikes in popular areas.

I would add...altitude. You may find that you need a few days to acclimatize to the higher altitudes, especially if you are bagging 14'ers. Hydration will be a key as well, especially at the higher altitudes.

Let me know if I can offer anything else, but honestly, there is a lot to talk about and I only covered a couple basics.

Colorado – a fun place to visit. I climbed two peaks There, Longs Peak 14,255 in October 98 and Mount Elbert 14,433 in October 03. The elevation at the trailhead was 9800 feet for both. The trails are very well groomed, not much rock hopping as we are use too, but contained switchbacks, which are popular out west. I saw similar switchbacks on Hood, Rainier and St. Helen. I like the east coast better where we just pound our way up.

On both Colorado peaks, the total elevation change is similar to doing the Dix Range or the Great Range starting at Sawteeth through Lower Wolf Jaw. As for weather conditions, since it is a much drier climate, I found the weather very good even when temps dropped to single digit range. It is wise to leave the summits by early afternoon because of lightening.

Both were done as day trips. Longs Peak I did the 16 miles in 16 hours starting at 1:30 in the morning. Elbert was done in 8 hours, but only 7 miles. The best description for Mt. Elbert is like doing Wright Peak from the Loj, same distance, but twice the elevation change. The trails often pass through open slopes and can be hard to follow even with the number of climbers using them. However, they can be easily negotiated.

Check out this web site. There are good descriptions and route suggestions.

http://www.14ers.com

Good luck and have fun!

ADK
That website was great. This has certainly been eye opening. I have to admit that I felt inferior here in the east with our short climbs and 4kers but to learn that hiking a 14er involves marginally a little more than the Presis is baffling. I guess I don't feel so inferior now...

They do have some really nasty peaks, both in terms of technical difficulty and of elevation gain. Mount of the Holy Cross, done as a dayhike, involves an almost 1,000 foot climb on the way back :( :(

On the other hand, Mount Elbert feels exactly like Mount Adams over here: 4.5 miles each way with 4,500 feet of elevation gain.

Altitude is a very individual thing, I seem to acclimatize fairly well to everything except sleeping at or above 11,000 feet. Normally I walk around town (say at 8,500 feet) the day I fly in (I do not sleep over in Denver as some recommend), do something around 12,000 feet the next day, and am more or less ready for anything after that.

You may want to read about my Mount Elbert trip, just note that I was in awfully bad shape that spring. I would have bagged more peaks if I had worked harder in the spring. But Colorado is magnificent, whether or not you bag many 14ers!

While the climbs may look the same on paper, they are much different in real life. Altitude, especially for us flatlanders, is a huge concern and makes the hike feel completely different. In addition, you'll be above treeline for several thousand feet.

Don't underestimate the climbs because you've done major hikes in the east. Hikes in the west have their own set of difficulties which make them not directly comparable with hikes in the east.

-dave-

Dave,

I hate to disagree with you, but here I must. Mount Elbert, with me in bad shape, felt very much like Mount Adams, not only on paper but on the trail.

As I said, acclimatization varies dramatically from person to person, and to compensate for my bad shape I was blessed with excellent hiking weather (alas, disastrous for forest fires).

ADK4487 makes a very important addition:

The "3 o'clock thunderstorm" as it's known in the west. You can COUNT on it! Due to the nature of the mountains, pressure changes, and inversions, you will find that the afternoon thunderstorms begin around late spring and proceed through late summer with great regularity almost every afternoon (it seems). BE CAREFULL. Lightning and exposure can be your biggest enemies on a 14'er in the summer months. Forecast mean little in this regard. Thunderstorms can form out of nowhere and bring huge risks to outdoors persons in the Rockies. Lightning strikes injure many hikers in the west who are not cautious. When you see the thunderheads forming, GET OFF THE MOUNTAIN. (And as already discussed, you should have turned around by that time anyway.)

I second the comment about getting used to the altitude gradually. Even after having lived there and having hiked there for a few years with no problems (many years ago), the altitude can suddenly get to you. I remember doing Grays and Torreys peaks a couple of times as a day hike (two relatively easy peaks in the front range). The last time I lost both my camera and my lunch. I've also hiked some mountains there when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and before I knew it it was raining and thundering! I also recall doing one of the 13ers (can't remember the name) in the summer and suddenly having a white-out (needed gloves, too). We also have fond memories of a snowball fight in July!

Mohamed, I hiked up Massive (right next to Elbert, same climb essentially) and I didn't feel like it was the same as Adams, but I hear what you're saying. I felt the altitude (lack of oxygen) was enough of an issue to make it feel like a much harder hike, even though I was very acclimatized. It was actually a pretty easy climb, all things considered, but to me it felt quite different than a Presidential trip.

Since jasonst has never been to altitude before I'd say treat this as a potential issue. Once he's been up above 12K it'll be pretty obvious to him whether it will be an issue in actuality. Certainly don't let it prevent you from planning an ambitious trip, just keep it in mind.

-dave-

When we go out west, we try to sleep the first nite at between 5 to 7,000'.
Take it really easy the first few days. Spent a couple of day hiking out of the high passes so your body starts building red blood cells, but don't get winded. Start moving your campsites a little higher each night until you gradually look for places to camp that are as high as you can find. That way, you are also acclimitizing while you sleep.
Get up on a 13er after a few days. Then move up to the 14ers.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. No diueritics, no beer ( I know, I know).
There is even a perscription medicine doctors can prescribe to help avoid altitude sickness. Headaches mean too high too fast.
What a place...if I could only move there.

PB

I found it interesting... Normally, when out of breath, my legs are aching somewhat as well. My legs did not feel in the least bit tired, yet I was Houghing and Houghing. I was somewhat short of time, both doing Elbert and Masssif, so I set a pace and kept to it. This allowed me to climb them relatively easily and quickly (done by 10:AM or so), but I was breathing at about the level I am when running a marathon.

Other interesting sites:

http://fourteeners.freeservers.com/
http://www.coloradofourteeners.org/home/index.php
http://www.fourteenerworld.com/

I am going there for the first time too next summer, and I'm already planning the trip (I ordered the Gerry Roach's guide, but it's out of stock for the moment).

My biggest concern right now is which 14ers to choose. If I must choose 5 of them, which ones? Some seem very interesting (Capitol Peak and most of the Elk range, Maroon, Crestone, etc.), but I have to be careful with exposure, my girlfriend is coming with me and the Katahdin's Knife Edge (or the Scotland's Devil's Ridge we followed last summer) represent the maximum she can reasonably live with.

The last link above has several top tens, the overall section being a good starting point. Maybe bringing a rope will convince her if a route on a must-do summit is a bit too much exposed;)

IIRC, Capitol Peak has a knife edge that makes Katahdin look like the Wilderness Trail. I stood next to it and was amazed that people ever do that route, let alone do it on a regular basis. It is truly scary, and I don't have a fear of heights.

Unless I'm thinking of Castle Peak, in which case just ignore me.

I wouldn't worry about picking X number of 14'ers, just go and enjoy yourselves. My favorite hike in CO was a loop that had 5 12,000' passes and no summits, just an amazing adventure. It's fun to test yourself against the summits, but since you are above treeline for so long the views are excellent everywhere.

I thought Sneffels as an overnight from Blue Lakes was an excellent choice for my first 14'er.

-dave-

Here is an account of a climb of the Knife's Edge on Capitol Peak. Like many non-technical, exposed routes, the fear factor will vary according to the individual.

I'm sure I'd find Capitol scary but exhilarating, but Julie would NEVER do this, so I must forget it (Pyramid too).

Sneffels seems an excellent choice, indeed. One scary but short section in the V notch, that's all. Could you describe that notch to me, Dave? I understand, according to your trip report and some websites, that there's exposure on one side only.

Maybe the most difficult peak I could convince her to try would be Crestone needle. Anything above this would be out of the question.

You're right Dave, the best hikes often involve no summits, like the Ptarmigan and Dawson passes we hiked 2 years ago in Glacier, Montana. What a loop! We'll surely do some to acclimatize. But my peakbagger side will want a few summits nonetheless...:D

Mt. Columbia and Mt. Elbert

Both of these peaks are non technical, and do not involve a lot of exposure.

I agree with ME .:)

if not for the altitude, the miles out West seem a lot easier than in the East. (on the non-technical peaks...)
I left Abe in the dust on Mt. Columbia...and everyone here knows my speed is pretty slow.
(LLL = .6 SK)

Last edited:
I am planning on spending a few weeks in Colorado early this summer and I was hoping to get a couple of trail guides to orient me to trips I could handle. Which guide/s would any of you recommend? Is there anything equivalent to the WMG for Colorado?

sli74

The person I was hiking with was kinda wigged out on Sneffels, but she made it. That final 500' is up a narrow, steep chute filled with large, moving rocks, and that was what made her nervous. There's no exposure in the sense of falling a long way, but there is potential for a nasty tumble. I don't remember much exposure, even to one side. Right at the top, when you leave the chute there is some exposure to once side but only for 30-40' if my memory holds.

If you take the route to the left of the chute (like the other group did) there is much more exposure but better footing. The last bit can unnerve some folks, so don't take it lightly, but it's good to push yourself.

-dave-