New List - Maine High Peaks Scenic Seven

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There has been on ongoing attempt to build awareness of the Western Maine high peaks area. Its funded by various groups. I found this version that is not paywalled https://dailybulldog.com/outdoors/high-peaks-alliance-launches-scenic-7-hiking-challenge/

The area is a pretty depressed economy as the manufacturing base went away a long time ago. The waterfront got snapped up by out of state buyers, but most of the rural land behind the strip development along the water is poor and rural. The AT runs through the area and when the big land swap occurred with the big long term landowners 40 years ago, a lot of the ridge line got preserved. The Bigelow range was already preserved by voters who forced the state to buy and preserve it and the loss of demand for wood related to the decline of the paper industry meant a lot of land got sold to Timber Management Operations that realized they could make a buck selling off conservation easements for high elevation lands that had no real timber value. Abraham got preserved that way in combination with various organizations. The "jewel" that was supposed to tie it together was the Maine Huts and Trails Mahoosuc to Moosehead hut system but that is probably permanently stalled while the organization struggles to keep the huts they built open. Building more tourist traffic may not make manufacturing jobs but it does bring in tourism jobs.

Interesting list. I've done very little hiking in Maine outside of Baxter and had plans to explore this area over the Summer. I think I just might give this a try.

These are mostly not high summit trails, my guess is they may not be that challenging to you, nice territory but not long days. Half the challenge may be fining the trailheads.

Definitely worth trip up to do the Bigelow Loop over the summits as a day hike and Abraham as a day hike. Sugarloaf from the AT is nice until you get to the trashed summit. Crockers are nice out and back but not super views. And of course Saddleback and the Horn from the ski area is a long above treeline stretch. Its different territory than the whites. Folks car camp on Caribou Valley road near Sugarloaf or The Maine Roadhouse in Stratton gets great reviews from AT thruhikers. Its just a long haul up there. HInt the shortest route is actually up through Berlin NH over to Rangely rather than going up Southern Maine. Just watch for moose and deer.

These are mostly not high summit trails, my guess is they may not be that challenging to you, nice territory but not long days. Half the challenge may be fining the trailheads.

Definitely worth trip up to do the Bigelow Loop over the summits as a day hike and Abraham as a day hike. Sugarloaf from the AT is nice until you get to the trashed summit. Crockers are nice out and back but not super views. And of course Saddleback and the Horn from the ski area is a long above treeline stretch. Its different territory than the whites. Folks car camp on Caribou Valley road near Sugarloaf or The Maine Roadhouse in Stratton gets great reviews from AT thruhikers. Its just a long haul up there. HInt the shortest route is actually up through Berlin NH over to Rangely rather than going up Southern Maine. Just watch for moose and deer.
Abraham is my only non-Baxter hike. Did last November with about 6 inches of fresh, untracked snow on it. Was a really nice peak. Bigelow and Saddleback have been high on my list for awhile now.

As far as the "7" I'd probably do in combination with kayaking on a camping trip with the wife (non hiker). The trail along the lakes sounded very interesting and the summits look to have nice views even if they are comfortable hikes. Most of the Maine trail heads are 5-5.5 hours from my house. Long drives even by my wacky standards for a day hike.