Hiking Adirondacks this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
I'm thinking of maybe driving up and hiking something not too difficult in the Adirondacks Friday and or maybe Saturday....any suggestions or anyone interested in carpooling?

(I hike with my 2 kids but they are usually faster than me....)

Glad to see you making it out this way :). Ordinarily, I offer "kid friendly" hikes, but I hear-tell, them aint no ordinary "hiking kids" you got there ;).

You could try a Pyramid/Gothics loop if its a good day. Killer views, an average workout (to slightly above average) and it will surely give them a spectacular taste of these fair peaks. Let me know if your interested in that loop and I'll get you some more specific directions for it. Probably 11 miles, >4000' vertical. I'd suggest something like this over the typical Cascade/Porter, Wright/Algonquin, Big Slide only because those peaks may be a little crowded on the w/e

Have fun, and I hope you guys make it back sometime when we'll be up there. Oh yeah, one other thing

:eek: bring 100% DEET :eek:

Last edited:
Noonmark. Many feel its the best hike for the effort in the Adirondacks.
Sort of the Chocora of the ADK's. Hit the top in about 2 hrs. 360 degree view from the summit.
Noonmark diner has great breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Usually a selection of homemade pies. Terrific ice cream or shakes for the kids.
The Mountaineer is 3 min away, one of the best hiking climbing shops in the USA.

Peakbagr

ps Welcome to the Adirondacks, and heed Tim's caution about the blackflies

Noonmark is a great mountain. You are in Keene Valley and to most that love this area it feels like home, start a tradition with the kids. The trail is one of the nicest in the park and is scenic right from your first views of Giant Mountain no more than .7 miles from the trailhead, you probably will not even notice it until you stop for a little breather. The view of the Dixes and the Great Range are the best you will get from such a little hike.

Giant via Rocky Peak Ridge is another good choice. It is a constant 3000 over 3 miles but worth every bit for climbing rhe Giant Of the Valley. It is wonderful to start seeing Marcy poke her head out as you go higher. Watch out for crowds.

Another option could be to drive up the Whiteface Auto Road, park at the "castle" area and walk the guided rails to the summit. Once on the summt you can descend the mountain on the trail that leads to the highest of the ski lifts. From there walk down the grass to Little Whiteface with views of the Great Range in the distance. I did this on one day we didnt have enough time to really hike.

If you have time for 8 miles and 3,000 ascent Algonquin is a nice mountain. Its view easily rates amongst the best in the park. You will have a new found respect for Colden from this summit. You can look over to Boundary & Iroquois feeling confident its just a 15 min stroll until you focus hard enough to see these little figures that are humans.

I would advise anything in the Valley. Visit the Mountaineer buy your kids a patch of the mountain they just climbed, go for a slice of pie and maybe just get your picture taken beside a stuffed lion ;)

Last edited:
No disagreement here on Pyramid as a great spot and destination.
I was looking to recommend a trip relating more to the avatar with the kids in it and the "not too difficult" comment.

Some alternatives

For several years prior to my retirement from teaching, I offered some hiking opportunities for fifth graders and their parents. The hike suggestions mentioned below were a popular part of the seasonal package. One important aspect of the overall strategy was that the hike didn't take a full day in order to create time for our groups to enjoy some of the other amenities of being in the great outdoors.

For the hikes originating close to Keene Valley, we usually capped off our outing with a swim at the Town of Keene beach just off Rt. 73 (across from Marcy Field). For most kids, swimming (especially in the East Branch of the Au Sable) is a unique and rewarding way to relax, cool off and appreciate the whole Adirondack experience.

After our refreshing and often "nippy" swim (the cabana is a bright blue port-a-potty), we would gather at the Noon Mark Diner for some great food, conversation and, of course, ice cream before heading home.

Here are some of the hikes that were offered:

Hurricane Mountain from Route 9N
Hopkins Mountain via Mossy Cascade
Rooster Comb/Snow Loop
Pitchoff
Catamount (some open, exciting rock scrambles)

Keeping the experience “kid friendly” will keep them coming back for more!
Enjoy your weekend in the Adirondacks!

The Sikes said:
I'm thinking of maybe driving up and hiking something not too difficult in the Adirondacks Friday and or maybe Saturday....any suggestions or anyone interested in carpooling?

I'm down there doing a few things this weekend. If you want to do Street & Nye with me on Friday (with a 4:00 AM start), or Dix via Hnters Pass on Saturday, let me know. Only one hitch. You AND your kids, would have to carry tools and work.

If you want a relatively leisurly climb, Wright and Algonquin would be one to do. I use that term, because I've seen your kids, and I know they are capable of an easy trip of what others may call tough... Oh, but are YOU? :)

It's relatively short, nice scrambling on the short side trail up Wright, views of Colden and Wallface are nice from ALgonquin.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly these kids can handle quite a bit. I don't think there is worry about the hikes being "too much" for them. I may be wrong but are they 48ers? I like Mavs suggestion. They will want to keep coming back to the ADKs if they do that hike on a nice day. If a shorter day is in order then Noonmark is also a great suggestion.

ADKs

Yea we've done those and a few others. They can handle quite a bit. I would ideally like to hike both days so am looking for something that might be long the first day and shorter the second for my poor legs. Got a good workout this past weekend having to carry my puppy for a 5 or 6 miles. How long do you think it will take to drive out there? I know there is vague....just want a ball park to see how long I have to plan for driving....

So, you're not interested in hiking with me? Ask your kids! I'll bet they'll say they want to. I'll let them try my axe, and we can hike back down barefoot! (not on the way up. Rule 37 says, "Sharp tools and bare feet do not mix.")

You''ve done Pyraamid? Lots of options there, that you can go up, grab Sawteeth, run over to Gothics, multiple routes to get down depending on how tired you are.

At Keene Valley, getting Big Slide, via the Brothers is nice. Lots of views along the way. Return by dropping straight down to the valley.

Colden makes a nice loop. Head up via the pond (that I forget its name, and return down to Lake Colden, then return through Avalanche Pass. The pass is nice if you've never done it before.

How long to get there? Longer than you think. The roads don't go east-west very well.

Would love to hike with you but am afraid that an ax in my son's hands could be potentially dangerous. ha ha.

Haven't hiked anything in the ADKs yet and am looking forward to checking them out. We have high ambitions this year. Got to have a goal or you get nowhere....atleast for me.

My daughter and I would be there with you hiking barefooted....her favorite thing! I still remember you out in the snow barefooted on Moosilauke last year........I no longer do that because of some damage I did to my feet years ago.

There's lots of great day hikes out there....Pete's recomendation of Wright and Algonquin makes a great hike....Mt Colden also is a great one as a day hike which can take you through Marcy Dam and the views there....like Tim said the Pyramid/Gothics hike is super and challenging....You might also think about a hike to the Saddleback/Gothics col via Johns Brook valley and the Orebed trail so the kids can climb Gohics via the cable route (which really feels like mountain climbing) and then hike the ridge over Gothics to Armstrong and to Upper Wolfjaw and out. Then on the second day you could try Big Slide (so you can look across the valley and see what you just traversed)...of course Noonmark and Hurricane are good ideas for shorter day number two hikes....Enjoy!

Pat

Directions as requested.....

Head in through the Ausable Club’s (AMR) Lake Road and head all the way down to towards the boathouse along the private road (3-3.5 miles). On top of the hill, just before getting reaching the lake and boathouse, turn off to the right onto the Weld Trail and head up to the Sawteeth/Pyramid col, but don’t forget to visit Rainbow Falls less then a mile in.

From the col, head right, up over Pyramid (about 1000' feet up with some good scrambles). After enjoying the view continue forward and descend 150-175' into the col and then up about 250-300' onto Gothics itself. (Another amazing view). Then head east on the ADK Range Trail off the side of Gothics and down into the Gothics/Armstrong col to reach the Beaver Meadow Falls Trail junction. If you feel like adding a mile or so continue straight on the ahead (Range trail) to Armstrong Summit about .6 miles away.

If not, take the Beaver Meadow Falls trail down toward St. Huberts. Be sure to take the spur trail to Lost Lookout most of the way down to the peak and just above the falls to round out the Day. Once you reach the falls, follow the signs to Lake Road, turning left onto it once it's reached. You’ll see other people for sure, but not nearly as many as some other trails, It took us (my kids and I) about 10 hours (if I recall) and we took it easy. Bring lots of Water and Deet.

Big Slide would be a perfect, reasonable follow-up day. Go up and down the brothers as the Slide brook trail ain't worth the effort (IMO of course) and seems to take forevert walking out in the woods. Take EVERY little WELL-WORN path you find high up on Big Slide, they all lead to amazing views.

Good luck and let me know if you want more. Let me know if this sounds to confusing. :confused:

I think I need to clarify when I said I wanted to hike in the Adirondacks...I'm a list person for now and am looking for something on the 46er list...I know how sad that sounds but it keeps me focused and motivated otherwise I get bogged down with too many decision and get nothing accomplished.

The Sikes said:

(I hike with my 2 kids but they are usually faster than me....)

There are a lot of great firetower hikes in the ADKs. The highest is Snowy, at just around 3900', with a solid 2000' of gain.

Adams is a little easier, and has awesome views of the southern DAX.

And do Hurricane before they take it down! :eek: :(

The Sikes said:
.I'm a list person for now and am looking for something on the 46er list....

I knew that, but I didn'T want to say it in public. Since you've come out of the closet....

The Big SLide via the Brothers is a nice one. I wouldn't do Algonquin/WRight, unless you throw in Iroquois as well, adding a couple hours to the trip. Otherwise, you'll have to go pretty much back up again to get it later.

Again, I'll say Colden, returning via Avalanche Pass.

Both of them (Big SLide/COlden) are sort of stand-alone hikes. Unless you're marathoning, you'll never combine them with something else, so you'll be managing your list efficiently.

The Sikes said:
I think I need to clarify when I said I wanted to hike in the Adirondacks...I'm a list person for now and am looking for something on the 46er list....

Fear not. Gothics, Armstrong & Big Slide are on the list ;)

Pyramid.................. It doesn't need a stinkin' list, It is what it is, and you'll know what I mean when you get there :D

Here is a -LINK- to a photo on pro photographer's (Carl Heilman) website. Pictures really can't do it justice though, but it's a good one :).

Last edited:
I wouldn't do the Armstrong/Gothics thing. Not that it's not nice, but since you are (a self admitted) list person, and it is a far trip to get there, you will probably want to maximize your peaks while minimizing your trips (classic max-min problem)

You may decide to camp at JBL, and get the wolfjaws, armstrong, gothics one day, and the rest of the range the next day. You're too new to the adirondacks to know for sure if you may want this. So save that one for another day.

I'd suggest trips that can't easily be combined with something else.. Like Allen. Well, maybe not for your first :)

I wouldn't do any of Marcy, Phelps, Tabletop, Skylight now, either. Again, once you become more familiar with the area, you'll combine them the way you want, according to mood/abilities/seriousness of finishing a list, etc. I wouldn't do a trailless peak for your first time here, althought I'd still like you to join me (and my axe) at 4:00 AM for Street & Nye tomorrow.

So, what does that leave you? Colden, Giant/Rocky, Big Slide, Cascade/Porter, maybe Whiteface/Esther, and maybe Algonquin, Wright, Iroquois.

Whiteface is NY's version of Washington... Road to the summit. I wouldn't suggest that now. Wright through Iroquois would be a long day. If the weather is great, and you're all feeling good go for it.

Cascade/Porter are the opposite. If feeling tired, they're an easy climb with so-so views. You may want to consider them as a morning climb on a day you're heading home.

Giant/Rocky are nice. A less distance, lot of climbing.

Colden is a longer walk, but less climbing. Interesting rocky-double summit. Some fun rocks (kids like fun rocks.. at least mine did). Returning via Avalanche Pass gives more fun rocks.

Big Slide via the brothers provides lots of views as you climb the three brothers. You'll have increasingly nice views of the Great Range (Gothics et al) as you get closer to Big Slide. The view of Big Slide from the third brother is impressive. I remember my kids reaction at the time: "We're going THERE??? Wow!" But my guys were younger than yours.

I trust you have a guide/map. Any questions, email me, or find me around the Loj parking at 4:00AM tomorrow.