Hiking in the Nude

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never hiked naked--never made a lot of sense to me with the backpack rubbing and all. But, I've done my fair share of skinny dipping. Don't see the big deal in all that really.

Wouldn't mind skiing naked sometime some warm Spring day...but those pesky ski rangers at TUX tend to frown on it and fine you something fierce! :)

giggy said:
ok - no pix please or overly graphic stuff - but has anyone:

1) hiked naked :eek:
2) seen someone hiking naked :eek:
3) any plans to hike naked. :eek:

heard thru the vine that this is encountered on occasion.
1)Yes
2)Yes-Unfortunatley, it was an overweight...well, FAT...middle aged dude :eek:
3)Yes-Stay tuned!! :p

1. Y
2. N
3. N

Hiking naked is nowhere near as fun as bouldering naked at The Ledges on Harriman Reservoir.

Last edited:
I ran into an old guy on the AT once a couple of years ago - completely naked except for trail runners. He came right by me, said "hi" and kept going.... 2 minutes later, I had to stop for a drink of water and wonder if that really happened (it did) or was the heat getting to me.....

sweeper said:
ope on.

2) None completely, a female Croo packing topless, and the best one, a topless caretaker at Ethan Pond giving directions to a minister for his help with revegetation for a discount on his groups stay. His eyes never broke the horizion.

I never did it but a very good friend was a part of the "croo" at Galehead and he related stories to me of the croo running naked up there in the mountains at night! At that age you can get away with it.
Also....I have been to the "ledges" at Lake Harriman in VT. Nudity was officially outlawed there but people are still doing it. Each time I go check it out I walk away thinking that the human body is for the most part not a "beautiful" thing. I am always grateful leaving there that we have clothes to hide all the defects!!!

Rick said:
I ran into an old guy on the AT once a couple of years ago - completely naked except for trail runners. He came right by me, said "hi" and kept going.... 2 minutes later, I had to stop for a drink of water and wonder if that really happened (it did) or was the heat getting to me.....

Are you nude if you wear boots? :)

Shrinks would have a field day with this, but after reading these posts yesterday and talking with my wife last night about it I had a dream last night that I hiked a real popular trail (not sure where it was) in the nude and hundreds of people where saying "way to go!" as I hiked on by...the real funny thing is that I went to a restaraunt in town aftewards in the same outfit. :eek:

I guess I should also answer -

1) nope
2) nope - but I did see a guy running down columbus avenue in boston totally naked and yelling I AM GOD
3) I can be pretty much convinced to do anything - so sure maybe someday if the opp was right.

Never did it myself. Can't imagine I ever will. Being a northeast hiker, the thought of all those bugs and all that exposed skin doesn't sit well with me. Being a winter hiker doesn't really help.

I did have the unfortunate experience of coming across a nude hiker - well, a sunbather really, but he had to hike to get there. It was on the ledges in the Fells Reservation in Winchester. The worst part of it was that this guy really should not have been seen naked by anyone including his own doctor, if you get my drift.

{sigh..... }

1) I have, once... It was a short bushwhack in open woods and I assumed noone would see me. I was wrong and promptly found myself reported to -THIS- database. :(

2) Hiking.... No, although, I did see a guy hiking in just a speedo type banana hammock. It was semi-disturbing to say the least.

Like others, I have however, come across several people naked that were not hiking. ;) Generally, I just crouch quietly behind a tree or rock and take pictures or video. Although on one or two occasions, I've strolled in and joined along, but alas, I've detailed those adventures in another forum... But you'll have to buy the magazine to get those stories :eek: :D

3) All the best moments in life are spontaneous. No plans in the immediate future..

4) I can't believe I'm responding to a thread on naked hiking on VFTT.

5) I can't believe anyone reading my responses would believe them.

{Mavs00 real answer key - 1) N 2) N 3) N }

Last edited:
"Southbounders," the AT film that recently aired in Exeter NH, includes many common backpacking experiences--snoring shelter mates, encounters with critters, etc. There's a scene in which the film's two SoBo thru-hiker protagonists meet a NoBo male nude hiker on the trail. He greets them and nonchalantly marches on while they scratch their heads and wonder if they really saw what they just saw. "All in day's work on the AT" is the message. There's also a hilarious mooning the Cog scene.

sapblatt said:
Are you nude if you wear boots? :)

Shrinks would have a field day with this, but after reading these posts yesterday and talking with my wife last night about it I had a dream last night that I hiked a real popular trail (not sure where it was) in the nude and hundreds of people where saying "way to go!" as I hiked on by...the real funny thing is that I went to a restaraunt in town aftewards in the same outfit. :eek:

Mike - no offense, but I hope in this case, that your dreams don't come true (especially if I am on the same trail). :rolleyes:

Hiking Naked? Nope. We're winter hikers-not gonna happen! :eek:

I have walked into the Rapid River at Cedar Stumps,totally without,for a nice rinse off on a hot day. When my wife pointed out the people in the campsite across the river,I said "hey,they don't have TV over there,I may be the only entertainment today!"

Saw a "streaker" at an Aerosmith concert at the Orpheum in '71-does that count? :confused: :D

1. Does rock scrambling count? South Island of New Zealand - it was a hot day and I was following a system of beautiful waterfalls. Hadn't seen another person all day - a sheep or two yeah. Took advantage of an incredible, remote waterfall, but no sooner had I disrobed and climbed over all these rocks and boulders to get in when I thought I saw something moving down the trail. This guy comes out of no where, so I have to scramble carefully - but quickly - over the boulders and hide behind one, so the guy can only see my embarrassed, smiling face. He realized something wasn't right and left. Of course I didn't see anyone else for the rest of the day - once I was dressed again.

2. Lots of skinny dippers or naked people near water holes

3. The right time and a couple of drinks........

1. Nope

2. Luckily no...but it seems I'm hiking all the wrong trails. I managed to hike most of the AT through PA and not once did I see a hiker in the buff.

3. Like Abster....only if alcohol were involved.

sapblatt said:
I had a dream last night that I hiked a real popular trail (not sure where it was) in the nude and hundreds of people where saying "way to go!" as I hiked on by

Yeah, that was the Wilderness Trail and no, we weren't saying way to go. We said put on clothes!

As for me:
1. No
2. No
3. I really can't see that happening... unless someone spiked my camelpack.