Hiking in the rain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrewKnight said:
What they all said... long woods-walks in the rain can actually be pretty pleasant if you're dressed for it. Exposed, treeline, open-ledge walks with wind in the rain, not so much.

I think it was Forrest Gump who said. " wet is wet"

and it's not all bad..

dry clothes in the car are nice..if it's warm wear shorts and skip the rainpants...after all...wet is wet...

there is nothing so green as a mixed forest in the rain..

exposure is one thing...but a woods walk..including many of the 4ks on a rainy day is pretty special...

go for it!!

'K, already packed and set to go. :eek: Oh, yeah we know full well about some dry clothes for the ride home.

I think at one point most of my hikes were in the rain - post 48 I am a bit more selective. I find it very difficult to get out of the car and start a hike in a downpour - that being said - it is not too much of a problem for me if it starts raining after I am underway.

I am one of those who love hiking in the rain. I don't try to stay dry but I do try to make sure that every last thing I am wearing is of the "warm-when-wet" variety. I also carry an extra pair of socks in a plastic bag. I adjust my pace especially on rocks. In short: rain doesn't stop me, but lightning does!

I hike in the rain, it's a different type of hike, but still enjoyable. Most of my hikes in the rain have been solo, but I think it's just coincidence.

It helps to have good people to hike with. Hale last December would have been miserable if it weren't for Hikerbob and Ian.

In the 3 seasons I try to stay dry (fall, winter, spring), as the cold is bone-chilling, so I hike to the conditions. In the summer I let it all hang out, often not even bringing a raincoat. One thing I swear by is BodyGlide, chafing is no fun, and I always bring my rain hat (I hate water on my glasses).

orig.jpg

Out for a week on the Maine AT in May.

Last edited:
If I'm jonesin' for a big hike I usually go for a wooded 4k peak thats sheltered. Usually fine in the rain. However I usually opt for something closer to home, quick and easy. Your only one town over from me so I'll tell my favorite local stashes. Hometown favorite Parker mt. provides suprisingly good ledge hiking even if the views are limited by clouds, I can easily spend 2+ hours up there, definitely include the link.Pawtuckaway has fine hiking(and mtn biking) close to home.The amc southern nh guide says Pawtuckaway has more scenic terrain than some 4k peaks and I agree with that.The Belknaps offer excellent hiking and Mtn major trail will be less crowded on a rainy day.Major,Straightback Anna is good one as is the East Gilford trail over Mt Belknap to Gunstock.Just a few suggestions.

Fun thread! Agree with the good advise above... and I don't mind hiking in the rain AT ALL!

Save cotton is for after the hike... and I've squeezed in a stop-by shower at a campground after as well.

On more than one occasion I've said I'll wait till the trailhead and see what's happening - never not done it and most of the time it's pouring at the onset. Made a decision about continuing on to Marcy after Tabletop in a downpour (did it, and it made being on top even more spectacular with the experience of horizontal snot-rockets), and last fall I was with a bunch of hikers turned golfers who all staying inside as I tackled another ADKHH :D I had a way better time.

Oh yeah... in the beginning of this thread I was thinking I should search for the pics of Neil's hike on Marshall a few season's ago... Thanks Neil - you did it for me! EPIC :cool: (Pretty sure if was Marshall but may have been McN?)

Sasquatch said:
If I'm jonesin' for a big hike I usually go for a wooded 4k peak thats sheltered. Usually fine in the rain. However I usually opt for something closer to home, quick and easy. Your only one town over from me so I'll tell my favorite local stashes. Hometown favorite Parker mt. provides suprisingly good ledge hiking even if the views are limited by clouds, I can easily spend 2+ hours up there, definitely include the link.Pawtuckaway has fine hiking(and mtn biking) close to home.The amc southern nh guide says Pawtuckaway has more scenic terrain than some 4k peaks and I agree with that.The Belknaps offer excellent hiking and Mtn major trail will be less crowded on a rainy day.Major,Straightback Anna is good one as is the East Gilford trail over Mt Belknap to Gunstock.Just a few suggestions.

Hey, I like it. I'm bummin....we were all dressed and ready to go at 6:30, then it started raining, so hubby was the one that decided he didn't want to drive for 2- 2 1/2 hrs not knowing what awaited us...... :rolleyes: So he's out starting to build our new entertainment center.....not a bad idea, but not my idea of spending a Sat.....maybe I'll try to drag him out for a bit before too long today. Tomorrow, unfortunately he has a mtg. at 12:00 :p , which really screws up a perfectly good day. :(

Viewless summits are good for rainy day hikes. Try to work one in that has good forest ceiling with good footing. Avoid heavily rocky/rooted trails. Pick trails with leantos: makes for nice dry rest spots. Hike with partners that won't complain :rolleyes: Be prepared to "bail" (to use an "arm"ism) ;)

bubba said:
Oh yeah... in the beginning of this thread I was thinking I should search for the pics of Neil's hike on Marshall a few season's ago... Thanks Neil - you did it for me! EPIC :cool: (Pretty sure if was Marshall but may have been McN?)

Yes, that was Marshall Bubba ! I think that hike was the best rainy day ever. So much fun.

Neil, I hope it's OK if I post this, it is such a good exemple showing you should ALWAYS go out there even under the shadow of a doubt.

Like I said - Epic! Good to know that the mind is still functioning - even after two years! That was some whack you guys pulled off with smiles! :D (With me you just get stung by bees!) :eek: ...and stinging Neddles!

Don't do it! You will constantly feel your undies creeping up and all of your clothes sticking to you, Your saturated hands will eventually be torn raw from contact with the straps of your trekking poles. You will give up on the civilized practice of stopping and unzipping when you need to further water the trees. Your boots will weigh ten pounds each when they reach the saturation point. Your lunch will be soggy when exposed, however briefly, to the elements. All the skin will rub off your feet. A slip on the rocks will slam you to the ground instead of allowing your boots to have some injury-minimizing friction. Don't listen to anyone who tells you differently. It's truly awful!!!! I finished the Long Trail on 8/3/08... I know what it's like to hike in the rain... Just say "Nooooooooo!!!!!"

Sunday Hannah Update

If you're just waking up and thinking of driving north this AM -- things are looking up. It was misting at 6am in Waterville Valley but seems to have blown through now. There is still a solid overcast, but the clouds have eased up to about 2000 feet now. The weather radar shows that the bulk of the precipitation is way down east now: White Mountain Radar, though it is more than a little blustery.

We did have perhaps an inch of rain overnight, so factor that into your route planning and river-crossing thoughts.

wardsgirl said:
Don't do it!
Hiking in the rain and backpacking in the rain are two different animals. The first is sweet the other is nasty.

Hiking in the rain sucks. getting caught out in the rain on a descent is one thing but leaving the car in the rain is useless. Unfortunetly it rains alot in the east, go live out west for a couple of climbing seasons then come back here youll see the difference.

TCD said:
Unfortunately, just about nothing works in sustained, cold rain. It is the absolute worst weather condition (aside from tornadoes and dangerous lightning). Cold rain days are days to simply not go; stay inside. If you're stuck in it, if you can eat enough and stay warm by keeping moving, then do that and head for definitive shelter. If you can't do that, make camp and start the stove.

To this day, one of my top three hikes was in cold rain on Giant (Adk) and fair winds in April/May. We had good gear, were all in great shape and we couldn't really stop for long breaks...but man was it challenging!

If you do go, just be prepared and ready to turn back if you're not too comfortable.

Fish