Hiking Out West vs. Mt. Washington, NH re: Weather Conditions, Gear, Etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least we now know that unless we plan our hike in the fall, we'll have to at the very least get helmets, rope and allow more time to acclimatize to the altitude.

A little clarification, I was responding to this sentence ... I agree with the acclimatization clause, the rest route dependent.

I saw this thread and I was thinking as I was reading thru the posts that the suggestions put forth by jrbren and sierra in terms of getting a less technical exposure to hiking at altitude and give yourself a couple days to get your breath were right there with mine.
Why not Colorado?
Those Colorado mountains in northen South Park - Alma/breckenridge area, heck most of the Front Range big summits are some straight forward walk-ups. Give you the elevation exposure at a hiking pace and feel - and you start at around 11,000 feet in places like Alma.

I lived in Colorado (college days) for the better part of 6 years and worked for the Forest Service summers for 4, worked and lived at 8 - 10 thousand feet in summers and stuff and hiked a few 12k summits but it wasn't until about 10 years after I moved to Maine that i went back and hiked a couple 14ers - Bross one year, Quandry the next... ok back in college I had tried Longs Peak but was ill equipped, or maybe I might have had brown bottle flu..nevertheless, I never made it...anyway, these two were easy//
the point, I guess, :eek: being that I drove 48 hours to Alma, CO both times (cheap to do at the time) and would generally go hiking within a day or two of being at 11 thousand feet. I always seemed to need lots of water..6 liters (2 consumed before the hike) when I did Quandry. 14,000 came with some effort for sure and even the beer drinking was labor intensive at 11000 feet! :eek: Boy I was some parched!
But I literally drove from Maine and arrived at 14,000 feet in 72 hours, suffered a little bit hydration-wise but reaffirmed that I was capable of functioning at 14k elevations and I needed nothing more than what I use on a given hike in New England. Sure, bring the crampons, and an ice axe had the snowhoes in the car just in case there will be snow in spring but I think you'll find that you're kicking steps or finding a dry ridgeline to 14000 and never have to think about roping up.
Just wanted to talk Colorado up for a minute ....
I loved it out there! :D

Latest posts