Hiking SHOE recs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiny Norman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for kisses or disses on low cut hiking shoes for day hikes in the foothills and mtn.s of the northeast.

I'm almost categorically ruling out anything with a EVA midsole as they seem to pack down rather quickly under my delicate 200 lbs.

Thanks.

I prefer a light-weight full leather boot that is high enough to cover the ankle. I don't need support for the ankle, just some padding to protect it against impacts. The higher boot is also less likely to fill with mud or water.

I also use low gaiters to help keep junk out of the boot.

Doug

Sorry, Realized how vague my first post was.

I'm looking for specific models that people are happy or unhappy with and why?

Thanks.

shoes

Spiny Norman -
I recently went shoe shopping with all sort of cutting edge name brands in mind...the sad truth is you need to try on e alot of brands to find one that fits your foot in the correct size. I ended up with boots that were no where near what I thought I was going to purchase, but I love them. It is a good idea to have some guidelines (like you do)...no EVA, low cut, lightweight, etc...this will keep you in the right ballpark.
Good Luck...and look out for Doug and Dinsdale Pirahna! :eek:

Last edited:
I converted from boots to trail shoes for 3 season use a year ago, have never looked back. IMO there are a few things to look for in a trail shoe:

1 - fit, tight in the ankle and wide in the toes
2 - a tough, yet flexible sole to protect against rocks but not wear yer feet out at same time
3 - lateral support
4 - quick drying

That being said. I've found the NB 806 AT (in EE width) to be best, but only after putting in some custom firm footbeds (Superfeet). Those type of inserts will do away with yer EVA concenrs (i'm 5'10" 200 lbs. myself). I recently bought a pair of Nike Zoom Steens on sale for $55 and thought i'd hit trail shoe nirvana. They are wide and have cushion air pockets, etc. but then they got wet and took too long to dry, so it's back to the NB 806 for me. But make sure you go a half size up and wide too. Good luck. :D

PS - If looking for a beefier shoe a lot of people seem to like Salomon trail shoes.

Last edited:
I've tried trail shoes, but I think I'm with Doug Paul on this one. I found my ankles getting beat up from impacts with rocks, especially on bushwhacks or trails that more or less follow stream beds. That being said, I haven't come across a lightweight model yet that I really like, although the EMS Allegro GTX looks promising (and it's pretty cheap on clearance right now).

If you're going to use your trail shoes offtrail, make sure they have durable fabric (better yet, leather) over the top and sides of the toe box. I trashed one pair of trail runners after just two hikes; no exaggeration. The fabric was ripped in numerous places over the toe box on both shoes to the point that my piggies were just about falling out.

John

I also agree with DougPaul. I prefer leather boots, and I like them up, over the ankle. I wouldn't even consider bushwacking without rugged boots, so trail shoes would confine me to the trails. I also like the short gaitors.

I had Vasque Sundowners( I think that was the name) for a couple years and they were fine. For the past 6 or 7 years I've worn LL Bean Leather Crestas, and I love them. They are very comfy right out of the box, for your first hike, but stiff enough around the ankle for support.

LL Bean is also very good about backing up their products. I started with a wide size and hiked in them three times, then decided they were too wide and returned them, all scratched up and dirty. They just smiled and asked if I wanted a credit or cash :) I traded them for a regular width and got three good years out of them. I'm about to start my second season with my third pair.